Replies

• beautifullybold1
    beautifullybold1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Deffinately something you have to try more than once to like it
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan. I thought I was missing something since so many people seem to swear by it. It's good to see I'm not the only one.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I started with adding a teaspoon of honey to drink it and now I enjoy it plain.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love Green Tea from Mighty Leaf, Tropical or Jasmine flavors .
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The short answer is NO. It is not an acquired taste. If it tastes like grass then you need a different green tea. I drink a tea called "Six Summits" from Teavana that is heavenly. It is my all time favorite tea. And not all black teas are created equal, either. After years of drinking my mother's brand of tea, I found out what really good black tea tastes like--I drink a black Assam tea from The Republic of Tea and a lovely Assam tea from Teavana, as well. Any really good green tea will have you hooked. If it tastes nasty or like grass, get rid of it. Drink a really good green tea. My favorite healthy tea is Six Summits from Teavana. I bet others will let you know their preference, as well. Good luck--and really, try some other green teas. From Sharon Powers.

hmm i think i will have to try this one :)
  • suzieq_17
    Options
    I've tried many green teas and they all seem the same ): maybe it's because I have spent 17 years drinking coffee!

Any suggestions , I force myself to drink atleast 2 cups a week of lipton's green tea, sometimes I add milk... Is that wierd? Lol
    Anyways, please any suggestions? I don't want to add sugar , sweetner etc.

But so far -- green tea. Ew. Sorry tea lovers !
  • frankhorbelt
    frankhorbelt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So, in the interests of full disclosure, I own an online tea business, but I am here on MFP struggling with my own weight issues.

I can't tell you how many people have told me how they think they should drink green tea because it's supposed to be good for them, but they can't stand the taste. I have two comments I would like to make regarding this.

First: most of the time, people who hate green tea do NOT know how to properly prepare it. If you use boiling water or steep the tea for longer than three minutes before removing it from the hot water, you have ruined your tea. Green tea is very delicate and you have to use water that is hot but not boiling (About 160-180 degrees F) and steep it for about 2-3 minutes only. Otherwise it will taste BITTER and yucky.

Secondly: I can't count the number of times people have come to me and asked me something like, "Do you have any teas that will cure my tennis elbow/halitosis/terminal disease/excessive flatulence and/or make me look like a model? What are the health benefits of your teas?" (I actually have this posted in the FAQs page on my website, and my answer is as follows): "Listen, you can read about the health benefits of tea elsewhere. I mean there are scads of studies and tons of information out there, but you're not going to find me promoting the health benefits of our teas--which is not to say that they aren't every bit as healthy as other teas out there. I just think entirely too much has been made of this aspect of this amazing beverage. Disreputable individuals are making outrageous claims and laughing all the way to the bank with your money. I'm not a snake oil salesman and for that reason, I refuse to even participate in the idea of marketing the health benefits of tea. Call it a personal pet peeve. I just won't do it. So why, you might ask, do certain teas carry the mystique of being some sort of ancient medicine? Glad you asked. My personal opinion goes something like this: Long ago, you had a couple of options for beverages: you could drink water or tea. Early civilizations did not have the sanitation and plumbing systems that we have today and water supplies were easily contaminated. Tea required the water to be boiled (aka sterilized). Over time, people started noticing that tea drinkers seemed healthier and lived longer than people who drank water. And then someone started selling tea as a cure for everything and the disreputable marketing practices have continued to this day. Just my opinion." I just want to offer that tidbit to anyone who thinks green tea is going to save their life.

I do think tea is great for dieting. We make a lot of dessert teas, and they essentially have no calories, so they can be a fun way to assuage a sweet tooth without cheating, but don't expect them to make you melt away pounds without other effort on your part. If that was true, I'd be a beanpole. I drink tea every day.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am a tea addict, and Green is among my favourites! Having said that, I do think it is an acquired taste. Jazzing it up with Lemon definitely does bring out the flavour more. Also a drop of honey or a sprig of mint is a great addition as well!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've tried to acquire the taste for tea for years....it all tastes like roots and dirt to me though. I can drink herbal chai, but can tell the difference between the herbal and one with black, white, red, or green tea added. Blegh.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I love green tea now, but I do have to say it is an acquired taste. I started drinking it every morning back in 08. I absolutely love it now, but I didn't when I started out!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So, in the interests of full disclosure, I own an online tea business, but I am here on MFP struggling with my own weight issues.

I can't tell you how many people have told me how they think they should drink green tea because it's supposed to be good for them, but they can't stand the taste. I have two comments I would like to make regarding this.

First: most of the time, people who hate green tea do NOT know how to properly prepare it. If you use boiling water or steep the tea for longer than three minutes before removing it from the hot water, you have ruined your tea. Green tea is very delicate and you have to use water that is hot but not boiling (About 160-180 degrees F) and steep it for about 2-3 minutes only. Otherwise it will taste BITTER and yucky.

Secondly: I can't count the number of times people have come to me and asked me something like, "Do you have any teas that will cure my tennis elbow/halitosis/terminal disease/excessive flatulence and/or make me look like a model? What are the health benefits of your teas?" (I actually have this posted in the FAQs page on my website, and my answer is as follows): "Listen, you can read about the health benefits of tea elsewhere. I mean there are scads of studies and tons of information out there, but you're not going to find me promoting the health benefits of our teas--which is not to say that they aren't every bit as healthy as other teas out there. I just think entirely too much has been made of this aspect of this amazing beverage. Disreputable individuals are making outrageous claims and laughing all the way to the bank with your money. I'm not a snake oil salesman and for that reason, I refuse to even participate in the idea of marketing the health benefits of tea. Call it a personal pet peeve. I just won't do it. So why, you might ask, do certain teas carry the mystique of being some sort of ancient medicine? Glad you asked. My personal opinion goes something like this: Long ago, you had a couple of options for beverages: you could drink water or tea. Early civilizations did not have the sanitation and plumbing systems that we have today and water supplies were easily contaminated. Tea required the water to be boiled (aka sterilized). Over time, people started noticing that tea drinkers seemed healthier and lived longer than people who drank water. And then someone started selling tea as a cure for everything and the disreputable marketing practices have continued to this day. Just my opinion." I just want to offer that tidbit to anyone who thinks green tea is going to save their life.

I do think tea is great for dieting. We make a lot of dessert teas, and they essentially have no calories, so they can be a fun way to assuage a sweet tooth without cheating, but don't expect them to make you melt away pounds without other effort on your part. If that was true, I'd be a beanpole. I drink tea every day.

I know you're not supposed to solicit in the forums...but I'm curious what your webiste is?
  • frankhorbelt
    frankhorbelt Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I know you're not supposed to solicit in the forums...but I'm curious what your webiste is?

I really wasn't trying to peddle my teas, but since you asked:
    zoomdweebies (dot) com is our main site. =)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I hated green tea with a passion, and then I didn't. Definitely an acquired taste. I'd recommend raspberry white tea, too, or any fruit-infused white/green teas.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Some things are an acquired taste for people and others just never like things. You should try other flavored teas.. There are other green teas too like the abover person has mentioned.
  • birdsitter1
    Options
    Not for me. Every do often I try it, but still don't like it. Hot or cold, I pretty much hate it
  • Fairymo
    Fairymo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't like "normal" tea but here in the UK I drink tetley green tea with lemon, as long as I don't leave the bag in too long it's not too bad.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh my I love green tea, it's my tea of choice! I grew up drinking black tea and some herbal teas, but when I tasted green tea the first time I hated it. Then I tasted again and kind of liked the bitterness, aaaand now it's my favourite tea ever. So yes, it did grow on me.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the type of green tea; I like Republic of Tea brand and especially their Honey Ginsing, Orange Spice and Blueberry Acai flavors. Experiment with brands and flavors.
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The Afghans steep/drink their green tea infused with whole cardamom pods, and that’s how I’m now drinking it. Cheers!
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    try refresh tea from starbucks. its a mix of mint and green tea. so good.