WHAT EXERCISE CLASSES BEST FOR ME

Options
Hi can anyone advise what type of exercise class would be best for me? I have lost 22lbs but still have six stones to lose. I would like to go to a class but am confused by what they all are,e.g. Step aerobics, body attack, body pump, circuits, spin class,zumba, body combat, body pump.I don't know what they all entail or what these mean and what would be best for me. I am not as fit as I used to be and have a dodgy hip.

Please remember I am 59 years old and feel self conscious in a class full of lycra clad 21year olds, who all seem stick thin!! I am based in Scotland.

Thanks.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try them all.

if you want specifics, talk to the gym front office, or the trainer or instructor that gives the classes. stay in the back of the class, and follow along.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try all the classes! I go to several classes a week, they are not all full of skinny women (At least where I live in the UK). I went to all of them and settled on four that I really like, I'm very uncoordinated but there will always be someone new who doesn't know what they're doing or who goes the wrong way so you won't stand out.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Google Les Mills and you can get an idea of what the Body Pump, Combat, Step and Attack are like. Each gym probably has their own classes too though so you're best off asking them. I do most classes and would say that most people are capable of all of them. All classes take a while to get used to and it is important to tell the instructor you are new so they can tailor what they say in the class for you to understand. Pump is good as it doesn't require much coordination (something I am shocking at!). Combat is great fun although it takes a few classes to get used to. Attack is great but the hardest (in my opinion) as it is ++ cardio focused. I'm not into the slower paced workouts such as Zumba or Balance so can't comment too much on those xx
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Please remember I am 59 years old and feel self conscious in a class full of lycra clad 21year olds, who all seem stick thin!! I am based in Scotland.

you know what?? i hate this line. it is the conscious of your self. how can anyone else effect it?? it is your own self perception. if you have a problem with how you perceive yourself, that is your problem.

see, if those 21 year olds make you self-conscious, that is your problem. if thats the case, just go get some dvds and work out at home. i see over weight and older people at my gym all the time. they are probably self-conscious about the fact that they are old and/or over weight, but they are there any way. and i want to give them a high five and tell them how awesome they are. but i don't, cuz that might be weird. so i give them the gym head nod instead.
  • troselj
    troselj Posts: 6
    Options
    Well done and don't forget age is just a NUMBER !!!! What ever class you decide to do, remember work at your own pace until you are comfortable with the pace the instructor sets and have FUN :smile:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I started, I did the step class but I didn't always use the step... I was 360 pounds so just using my own body weight was enough without stepping on the step.. so I'd use the platform only and when I got too tired to even use that, I'd just do the moves on the floor. Here the step aerobics classes tend to have a diverse group.

Zumba is also fun, if you can't keep up, then just walk through the routine. We have people of all sizes and ages in our zumba class.

Body pump looks fun.. I watched one class... but it's a bit too intense for me just yet.
  • louisemh28
    Options
    Hi can anyone advise what type of exercise class would be best for me? I have lost 22lbs but still have six stones to lose. I would like to go to a class but am confused by what they all are,e.g. Step aerobics, body attack, body pump, circuits, spin class,zumba, body combat, body pump.I don't know what they all entail or what these mean and what would be best for me. I am not as fit as I used to be and have a dodgy hip.

Thanks.

I just tried Body Combat for the first time. When I walked in, the first thing I noticed was that everyone else looked in good shape. I squished down the part of me that was tempted to feel a bit intimidated and decided to take that as a good sign and make it aspirational: if I stick with it, maybe I'll look like that eventually too! That was one was like a boxing workout. It was pretty full on, but the instructor asked if anyone was new at the start and told me to take breaks when I needed to and not to worry when I lost track of the routine -- just pick it back up when I could. There were things I couldn't do, and I screwed up the routine a few times, but I got a hell of a workout and had fun. I'm planning to go every week. I probably wouldn't have picked that as my first class had I bothered to check what was involved though; I just picked it because I could get there at that time.

One option that might be worth checking out for something that's a bit more friendly is your local community centre. I assume this is the same north of the border, but my local centre runs quite a few exercise classes. I went along to Zumba a few times last summer. The class was very mixed: all ages, all weights and body types, and a wide range of fitness levels, but mostly female. That was a lot of fun and didn't feel like a workout until I stopped and discovered I'd been working muscles I hadn't used recently.

I'd say go along and try whatever's available to you and see what you enjoy. Nobody will try to push you to do more than you're able, and if you have a specific injury just let the instructor know and they will warn you off anything that might cause you problems or give you an alternative exercise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    try them all.

if you want specifics, talk to the gym front office, or the trainer or instructor that gives the classes. stay in the back of the class, and follow along.

This
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    anything you like to do enough to stick with it long term is probably the best for you, consistency and longevity are the keys
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, got a MINIMUM of another 16lbs to lose (currently 15st 6) and I have tried....

Zumba
    Body Pump
    Aerobics
    Circuit Training
    Boxercise
    Archery
    Kayaking
    Aqua
    Swimming
    Walking
    Jogging
    Gym

Go and try them all. And more than once for each class. I enjoy certain zumba classes more than others. Other instructors can get me enjoying ANY class. It's all about trial and error. Have some fun. Take it at your own pace.

Geina x
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    yeah try them all!

however with you saying you have 6st to loose be careful incase it is too extreme for you, spinning is quite off putting if you cant keep up with the class.

however saying that there is no shame in backing out after overcooking your workout it prooves you are trying harder than everyone around you who are plodding on in thier endurance zone!
  • BonnieHeifer
    BonnieHeifer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could look for a Zumba Gold class. It's like Zumba but a bit gentler and was developed for over 50's. Another option might be to find some Rosemary Conley classes. I've attended a few and the majority of people were over 50. Some of them were very fit but there wasn't any lycra in sight. :) They tend to offer mixed aerobics and zumba classes, and they take place in community centres and halls rather than gyms.

Also, try not to be too scared of the other people in the class. In every class I've attended, someone has made the effort to say 'hello', and quite often they are lycra-clad and extremely fit - it doesn't stop them being friendly! Good luck and well done on what you've achieved so far.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say try as many different exercises classes as you can...

I would also advise you to talk to one of the fitness professionals at your gym...
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would go with something that you can adapt to your own level first. The Zumba classes I have been to (based in a local school/village centre etc ) have tended to have a mix of age (from 14 -60+) and fitness levels in there are also mixed as it is very much a case of 'put into it at your own level'. Though others on here have suggested trying all, really I would avoid some of the harder working classes for now (combat/pump/circuits etc) and see them as something to work up to as you get fitter, otherwise you risk putting yourself off for ever and you may end up with injuries. As a minimum you may not get much out of them as you will not be able to keep up for now.

If you like water then aqua aerobics may be good too as you will not have any stress on your joints. Many council leisure centres offer fitness classes for the over 50's you may want to try these too, (but only as a starting point as once you improve your fitness then the sky is your only limit)
    From what you have said it sounds like you are not used to fitness classes yet so take it slow and build up. I would also add in lots of walking (free and can be done anywhere) and maybe even consider a slow building running plan like couch to 5k that can be done outside or on a treadmill
    good luck
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it's just a class, Not a military boot camp. They don't have drill sergeants coming over and yelling at you. You progress at your own pace. Also at 59 years old, nobody expects you to move like a 21 year old now. Give your self 6 months, You'll leave some 21 year old to dust.
    I'm 48 and this morning I biked 25 miles with my wife (52) with a high school Junior varsity track kid. And I only started this weight loss journey 6 months ago.
    So take your time, I do advise trying the same program at least 3 times before you call it quits. because you never know from just 1 class.

Enjoy your journey. I'm 48 and I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Just try 'em out and see which one(s) you like best. Most fitness / aerobic classes have a deal where you can pay class-by-class. :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I DON'T KNOW - HOW ARE WE MEANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE?!

I FEEL LIKE I AM SHOUTING.

DON'T DO BOXFIT BECAUSE IT'S BLOODY HARD.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^lol
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    like others have suggested, go try a variety of the classes to see what you like. I could recommend classes but if you dont enjoy them, you wont go! That being said, here is what I take weekely:

Zumba (3 times a week, by far my fav class)
    Body Pump (twice a week)
    Belly Dance
    Barre Vite
    Cycle
    Step

And I just started a 4 week series at my gym on Friday nights, Bollywood dance. Its hard and a lot of fun.

I too was very intimidated (I'm overweight). Most people are just worried about themselves. In almost every class, I have made wonderful and ENCOURAGING friends, we are all there for the same reason. Range of sizes and age groups.

Enjoy yourself.