Calorie Deficit - yay or nay?

Options
At first, it seems pretty simple. If you burn more calories than you consume, then you will lose weight. The calories being burned will come from you, if you burn more calories by living and exercising than you consume.

Then I read about macros and myths, that eating at a deficit causes a drop in insulin which stops your metabolism, starvation mode, muscle being burned rather than fat on low calorie diets, four part fat molecules that need to be broken up to be digested, that your body will stop burning calories if it 'knows' your trying to lose weight. That COUNTING CALORIES MAKES YOU FAT.

O.o

For gods sake. All I want to know is this - if I stick to what MFP recommends on the calorie and exercise front, will I actually lose weight? I will not be counting fat/carbs/protein as if I do, I'll never stick to this diet. Yes, I know it's not ideal not to count these things but my priority is getting used to a new way of eating first, not too complicated.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: Does a calorie deficit really work?

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yes
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes. Its the only thing that does.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is the only way to lose weight.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yes, one way or another you must have a deficit to lose weight, whether it's cutting cals, excising or both.

but you need to find your starting point (BMR) before you can know how much to cut!
  • moneil25
    moneil25 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I signed up for MFP it calculated a calorie range for me based on age height weight and in my case I have a Fitbit step counter that syncs to MFP and gives me extra calories based on exercise/steps . So I track my food and drink everyday and make sure I don't go over what MFP says for the day and I lose weight. And I eat what I want as long as I count the calories.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    *Points down to ticker* Yes, a calorie deficit really works. The issue is making sure your deficit is appropriate for the amount of weight you have to lose.

I started out by watching my portion sizes and tracking Points with WW. I realized that it's the tracking that really helps me so I continued it after leaving the WW program. I weigh and measure food the majority of the time to keep my counts as accurate as possible and try to get good estimates when nutritional info isn't available.

Be honest with your tracking and realistic with your goals and caloric deficit does work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you get to a high fitness level and/or have fitness goals, like muscle building and such, this is when you need to really concern yourself with macro breakdowns. To simply just lose weight at the lower level, worry about calories in vs calories out. And track religiously.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit alone is the only way to lose weight. Adding in exercise has little to do with weight loss, it is beneficial in its own right but not necessary for weight loss... Best of Luck
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Calories in vs: calories out = weight loss
  • darharmar
    darharmar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes it works! Has worked for me so far.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes,

I did. Log accuately. Eat exercise calories. Measure. I'd try to stick your carbs below 40% (it's not that hard if you don't eat a lot of sugar).

It was ridiculously easy for me - it just required stubborn persistence and honesty. I am embarrassed that I didn't do it 20 years ago.

Stick with it. It's not fast. It does work.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is literally the only thing that works.

All diet and fat loss programs are variations on getting you to a calorie deficit.

Too big of a deficit is counterproductive though. For clarity, MFP already gives you a calorie deficit based on the target weight loss and weight/height/activity level inputs you give. There is no need to create more of a deficit beyond what MFP sets you at, having 0 calories left at the end of the day is the deficit you need.
  • anasheae
    anasheae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yupp! Def worked for me!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you're over thinking something that has been laid out for you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is literally the only way to lose weight.
  • KezzRezz
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I know that on MFP calorie counting is integral to the system, it is just frustrating when other sites completely contradict this. Something also about how a deficit, even a healthy one, stunts the growth of the hormone that breaks down fat, making calorie counting counter productive.

However, the sheer amount of people who appear to have lost weight this way convinces me! Thank you all for commenting, I just don't want to dedicate myself to the wrong way of eating as I'm going for a fresh start.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    At first, it seems pretty simple. If you burn more calories than you consume, then you will lose weight. The calories being burned will come from you, if you burn more calories by living and exercising than you consume.

Then I read about macros and myths, that eating at a deficit causes a drop in insulin which stops your metabolism, starvation mode, muscle being burned rather than fat on low calorie diets, four part fat molecules that need to be broken up to be digested, that your body will stop burning calories if it 'knows' your trying to lose weight. That COUNTING CALORIES MAKES YOU FAT.

O.o

For gods sake. All I want to know is this - if I stick to what MFP recommends on the calorie and exercise front, will I actually lose weight? I will not be counting fat/carbs/protein as if I do, I'll never stick to this diet. Yes, I know it's not ideal not to count these things but my priority is getting used to a new way of eating first, not too complicated.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: Does a calorie deficit really work?

Of course a caloric deficit makes you lose weight; I'm not sure how that's anything but basic biology. Stop reading the blogs of amateur, armchair, bonbon eating, houseslipper wearing wannabees. If in doubt google some actual research; peer reviewed studies that have actual citations or even better meta studies and focus on the summary/concusions.

The whole "starvation mode" nonsense was probably started by supplement companies that want to make you think that you need to continue to "consume" so they can continue to sell. They exist to make money, not help you lose weight.

Find your BMR and use a reasonable deficit; i.e. 300-500 calories and then make small adjustments as you lose weight to account for your new BMR since your basal metabolic rate is driven in part by your weight. That and some exercise, discipline and patience and you'll get what you came for. Good luck.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused about where you heard/read that counting calories makes you fat. Are there people out there that honestly think that counting calories to make sure you are in a deficit will have the opposite intended effect and make you gain weight? If there are people like that in the world, I would hope you ignore them.