Heart rate question, and enough strength training?

Options
First, forgive me if this topic has already been flogged to death...

Part 1.....
For the last 2 months, I've been doing 35-45 minutes of cardio, 4-5x a week at the gym. It's usually with intervals but not HIIT. My heart rate during cardio ranges from 130-165 (sometimes hits 170's, oops!) I am 37, so my 85% of max rate is 156 or so.

I feel like I'm only really "working" when my HR is between 155-165. I vary intensity, so I'm not holding that high intensity for the entire 35-45 minute duration. Is this rate too high and unhealthy? I like being very sweaty after a cardio session. I am also looking to slowly increase endurance.

Part 2.....
For strength training, I do about 20 minutes of upper-body weights, 2-3x per week. This typically consists of 2 sets of 10-12 (or less, if to fatigue) for bi's, tri's, lats, upper back, push-ups. I purposely do not do strength training for lower body, since my knees really do not like it. For upper body, I'm usually struggling for the last rep at the end of 2 sets.

Is this not enough strength training for zapping that fat which I would like to evict from my midsection?

I don't necessarily want to lose pounds, but the extra flab around my waist has overstayed its welcome and has GOT to go. Most days, I eat 200-300 calories under what MFP tells me to, and roughly hit my macros although always under in sugar and carbs. Female, 37, 5'-8", 135ish lbs.

***Bonus question!!***
What are peoples' experiences with one day a week of eating, say, 500+ calories over MFP, but being an angel the rest of the week?

Replies

• nanner5811
    Options
    shameless bump by OP :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Part 1:

There is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to exercising heart rates. If you feel like you are at a comfortable effort at a certain heart rate AND you can maintain that effort for 20-30 min, then that is probably a good "target" rate for you. It is not unhealthy. Use the heart rate data to learn your heart rate response to different levels of perceived exertion. Don't let the heart rate--or arbitrary heart rate "zones"-- dictate your effort.

Part 2:

Your routine is "OK"--it's kind of middle of the road. Rather than just ignoring all lower-body work, there would be some benefit to determining exactly what is wrong with your knees and address those issues. There are often some basic exercises that can help decrease your symptoms and allow you to do more.

Body fat is lost by maintaining a long-term calorie deficit, and it is gained and lost on a "whole body" basis. There is a certain female body type that tends to store more fat in the abdominal area. If that is your body type, you may always have a disproportionate amount of fat in that area. The best you can do is to lose as much fat as possible and see how you look.
  • nanner5811
    Options
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense, and relieved about the heart rate issue! Not a bad idea to get my knees checked out.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to do 3 sets rather than 2 and stick to the basic movements. I'd also try to see what the cause of your knee issues are. Many times strength training can help if u have a docs ok. Plus u say u eat less than what mfp says, you could be holding too much of a deficit.