to eat before a run or not?

Options
Do you eat before you run/workout or not? If you do what do you eat and how long do you wait?

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    depends on how I feel. I do my longer (for me anyways) runs on saturday mornings and most of the time don't like to eat anything beforehand. But if I am hungry, I'll have beef jerky or a banana. Anything heavier than that makes my stomach cramp up pretty quickly. But if I'm just doing my weight lifting, which I do after work, I tend to have an apple or Luna bar before leaving work as my afternoon snack.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on how far I'm running or the type of workout.

If I'm doing a mid-week 5 or 10km run I'll run fasted first thing in the morning, for longer runs (90 minutes or more) or triathlons I'll eat at least 2 or 3 hours in advance. I don't like running with food in my stomach.

I don't usually eat before rowing (indoor machine) but do before weights.

If I'm riding I can eat almost immediately before heading out.

It's pretty variable and comes down to trial and error for yourself.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As others said it depends, if I'm running first thing in the am I don't generally have time for food to settle before going so I don't eat. If I'm doing an organized race I generally try to eat a banana or oatmeal as soon I wake knowing the race is usually a few hours away.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I will eat a banana or sometimes an orange around 45 minutes before a run. If I have eaten a proper meal, I will wait until three or more hours have passed before I run.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't, I just stay well hydrated with water. My stomach acts up when I have a bite. I run first thing in the morning.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Before I lift I have a scoop or two of cytocarb mixed with coconut water.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Almost always lift on empty stomach

Only eat before run if I'm running more than 40 or 45 minutes
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you're running over a 10k, you can probably eat after
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Anything over an hour is a good idea to have something. Gatorade makes a liquid gel which is their pre workout drink. Thinner than a GU its good if you're on your way out and dont want a lot of water. Then ill put a GU in my pocket for mid run just in case. Before a long race ill have toast and PB at home with a cup of coffee, then the gatorade waiting at the start...it goes down smooth but too big for my pocket.
  • MeganCamm8077
    Options
    I can usually only handle a piece of toast about a half hour before. I definitely prefer to eat afterward, as long as I don't see it as a "reward"
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    TMI Alert!

I gotta poop before I go for a run, so yes. I have a light breakfast (granola, fruit, greek yogurt) and COFFEE! about half an hour before I run (and after I go "number two").

Sorry about that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating before a run.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat a shake before :) that's all lol or I get cramps
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I plowed through 4 waffles, a banana, a travel mug of coffee, and a glass of chocolate milk then got my braces on and was out the door and at the park within an hour and got 5 miles in.... I think it is more of a personal preference thing... I like to eat before I workout so that is what I do.... Best of Luck
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    God, no, I don't... I was silly enough to eat a small slice of toast last week about an hour before I ran... I had a major stitch and intergestion within 500 yards D-:

I'm not saying, people don't eat before a run... Every body has different requirements... I'm just saying my body and I don't see eye to eye when food and fitness are concerned ;-)
  • MarieAnneN
    MarieAnneN Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't, I just stay well hydrated with water. My stomach acts up when I have a bite. I run first thing in the morning.

Same here. Depends on each person, my stomach cannot support and I cramp I have eaten within 2 hours before my run.

But keep in mind nobody is the same, best thing is for you to test it and you'll find out what works the best for you!
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    Thanks all. I feel horrible if I eat before I run, but I have no energy to run if I don't eat. I guess I'll stick to early evening runs.
  • Ninguneado73
    Options
    I run at 5am, so I don't eat, only drink enough water. However, I eat something the night before.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It depends ...

Short runs (under an hour, including warm ups), I eat nothing.

Long runs, I will eat something high gi with very low fiber. Grits is my standard prerun, preworkout meal.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I can't run on an empty stomach (that's when I get stitches/cramps) so I make sure to have a big glass of water and eat a banana, apple, protein bar, etc. about 30-60 minutes before I run.