need help gaining weight

Options
I am 52 years old and I'm underweight... I need some guidelines on how to gain weight but with muscle... being too skinny don't look good... I'm in very good health and I stay pretty active... but my metabolism is high... any advise

Replies

• Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    setup your goals to gain 2/1 lbs a week and stick to the calories. lifting weights is definitely the best way to put on muscle. you could use body weight lifting exercises as well.
  • snowbunny700
    Options
    thanks for the advice... I have the Insanity workout... but I can never make it all the way through so I feel like I'm failing... I also don't really have discipline so its hard for me to work out by myself... something I need to overcome... I started this morning keeping a meal chart... would like to do weights but don't know which ones to
  • Trarbach
    Trarbach Posts: 34
    Options
    You mentioned lifting weights to gain weight so I am going to assume you do not fear what lots of women fear and that is to look too bulky or too muscular.It is very difficult to simply fall into that category as a woman unless that is a fully dedicated objective. So look into compound exercises with weights and I am sure you will induce gains by activating muscle growth hormones naturally.
  • Trarbach
    Trarbach Posts: 34
    Options
    Those compound movements are squats, bench press,military or aka overhead presses,dead lifts,barbell rows,lunges,pull ups and alternately dips.(body weight exercises) All must be done in perfect form to begin. Progress by adding more weight to gain more muscle weight, but start out slow up to the 1st month with proper form and amounts. Its a marathon not a sprint to more weight from healthy muscle growth. All those mentioned.above.are fundementally and foundationally sound choices at any stage of any capable persons abilities providing they power through and make proper effort.
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    :smile: fantastic response!

In addition

Don't be afraid to put a little fat on. Fat is muscle sparing and you can always cut down once you have reached your desired muscularity. Gaining LEAN muscle is a feat. Takes years for some. Just eat big lift heavy and sleeeeeep. Sleep is so important.
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    The intensity of insanity isn't really conducive for mass gain. I suggest seeking the assistance of a professional to help guide you through strength training until you've learned enough to create your own program safely. Do not just jump into compound movements. Start slow and make sure you have a strong base.

thanks for the advice... I have the Insanity workout... but I can never make it all the way through so I feel like I'm failing... I also don't really have discipline so its hard for me to work out by myself... something I need to overcome... I started this morning keeping a meal chart... would like to do weights but don't know which ones to