Massive depression/anxiety and exercise

Options
How does one get the energy to get up and get going to exercise when it seems so monumental to even get off the couch? yes, yes, there are anti depressants and all that, but aside from the therapy and usual meds, what could get one up and going? the whole "exercising makes you feel better in the long run from release of certain chemicals is only true temporarily. What works to get that energy going on those not so lovely days? any one relate?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I can relate

I've found, in the long term, that heavy lifting, or any really strenuous exercise, has helped a lot in getting over PTSD (which caused depression so I had both but PTSD was the root cause). I can totally relate to what you're saying about how hard it is in the short term, even when you know that exercise will help in the long term, to actually get up and do it, when you're feeling totally worse than crap.

what helped me to get started:

- set yourself tiny, achievable targets. For example if doing a whole workout sounds utterly daunting and unachievable, then give yourself permission to just do the first few exercises, or just five minutes, or something, that makes it all seem more managable. What I found was that having actually got started, I felt slightly better and felt like doing the next little bit, and the next little bit, and in the end I usually did an entire workout... but even if you don't, and only do 5 minutes, 5 minutes is better for you than doing nothing.

- talk kindly to yourself and give yourself credit for what you do, even if it's only a little. A little is better than nothing. Your momentum builds up over time, and you do start to find it easier to do a little more and a little more. Don't start talking negatively to yourself, focus on what you did achieve, not what you didn't or could have done. Tell any negative voices in your head to STFU

- lots of positive motivational talk, and other motivational techinques, like looking at posters, images, slogans etc that are inspiring

- the feeling of succeeding at something drives you on to succeed more

- focus on how good you'll feel at the end of a workout more than the workout itself.

- personally I find that weight lifting has been really good, not only because of the happy hormones but also because it's hard to feel weak and vulnerable (which PTSD makes you feel) when you're squatting and deadlifting big amounts of weight. Also, programmes like stronglifts that have progressive weight increases built into them really help you to feel like you're always achieving something, like lifting 2.5lb more than last time, or doing a couple more reps than last time.

This is what worked for me.... when you find what works for you stick with it.
  • cerenia
    cerenia Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Depression is what sent me off my wagon, I got put on tablets, and I forced myself to go out once a day non work related, even just walking to the local shop, and I enjoyed Cardio Boxing on the Kinect - Comfortable and safe at home, shielded from the world, and took it slow - the problem I had was I reacted badly to tablets, got taken off them, and went downhill without support, and have just gotton the mental state back to take control.

You will feel so much better just doing something, if you stop, its so much harder to get back into it, thats what happened to me, and I went from 28lbs lost this year up to May, to my total loss for the year being 8lbs as of yesterday - because I let depression take over.

I still have low days, but i'm setting small targets - yesterday my target was 300 cals burnt, today my aim was to go for a wander with my camera and other half, i'm working my way back up :)
  • krollins21
    Options
    You are so awesome! Thanks a million! I'm sure that will help immensely. I truly appreciate it.:drinker:
  • krollins21
    Options
    Glad to hear it Cerenia. I can totally relate to doing so well and then totally crashing. I had been down from 191 to 129 in about 4 1/2 months and only had 9 more to my goal. sadly in March I slipped and by May I had worked my way back to 152. Just such a bummer to have to start all over, that alone is depressing and hard to find the motivation.
  • cerenia
    cerenia Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It is, but knowing you can do it is a push in itself, I still feel like "But its my day off, I want to just do nothinngggggg!", but just spending a few mins saying "If I do this, then I can have a reward of doing nothing for a while"
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It is, but knowing you can do it is a push in itself, I still feel like "But its my day off, I want to just do nothinngggggg!", but just spending a few mins saying "If I do this, then I can have a reward of doing nothing for a while"

That is so me all the way (The day off part). All I did yesterday was go to the bank and pick up a few things from the grocery store in the adjacent parking lot. I'm going to bump this thread. I feel like maybe this is why I've only lost 4lbs in a year of being on this site. And trust me it's not from gaining muscle. Shameful..
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel depressed or anxious some times as well. I think vigorous exercise helps me alot though to conquer that. Sometimes I just go and hit the punching bag.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How does one get the energy to get up and get going to exercise when it seems so monumental to even get off the couch? yes, yes, there are anti depressants and all that, but aside from the therapy and usual meds, what could get one up and going? the whole "exercising makes you feel better in the long run from release of certain chemicals is only true temporarily. What works to get that energy going on those not so lovely days? any one relate?
    I found that this statement was particularly true when I first started exercising - mostly walking and stationary bike. I started running, and again, found that it made me feel a *little* bit better for a short period of time. After several months of running, I find that I'm more aware of the positive effect it has on my whole life. I'm not sure it the effect has increased, or it I'm just more aware of it. While I'm actually running, I don't really get what I'd call a "runner's high", but it does make me feel better, most of the time. Not just better, but good. The feeling good isn't just about endorphins, but other chemical changes, along with having that time to myself, increased confidence/self-esteem as I improve, and it also becomes a meditative experience.

I guess my point is that for me, the benefits of exercise really increased when I increased the intensity (a little) and most importantly, started being really consistent. Since I made exercise a real priority, it has become a key tool in managing my depression. The same may not be true for everyone. It's really what gets me going on bad days though - the knowledge that I will feel worse if I don't exercise for several days. Maintaining a decent state of mental health gets me out of the door and running more often than the idea of burning calories or maintaining weight. For me, it's not about that feel-good endorphins boost (although that happens sometimes) but about preventing a slip backwards.

However, my "bad days" are not so bad any more, and probably not what you are experiencing right now. When you are seriously depressed, it can be so hard to do anything. I agree that goal setting is really helpful. Not to beat yourself up with if you fall short, but if you make small goals that you can achieve, that can give you a boost. What goals you make depend on how functional you are right now.

If you can set the goal of doing x number of workouts a week, then great. If that's too much, then it might be "getting off the couch and putting on my workout clothes". Then - depending on how you exercise, but make the goal to say put on your workout dvd, or walk out the door, or drive to the gym. Whatever it is you do. Once you are there, you don't have to do a full, intense workout, but just get there, and then you'll probably want to do at least a little.

I see from your profile that you have children. I don't know how stuck at home you are, but if you don't get out of the house much, then make that a priority too. Try to get out and about every day, even if just for a short time. I don't know your circumstances, but make sure you're getting enough social interaction too, and adult conversation. Making use of whatever support system you have is really important.

I also see that you mention self-esteem. If that's a big problem, then try to work on that too. Whether it's through self-help (cognitive behavioural therapy can be very useful for a lot of people) or through talking to a counsellor/therapist, improving self-esteem and confidence will also make a difference to how you feel in general.

I've also found that routine helps me a lot, and creating healthy habits. Exercise can be part of that, and when it becomes a fixed habit, it's easier to just do it and not have to talk yourself into it. Most of the time, anyway!

Most of all, don't be too hard on yourself. Depression is a horrible thing, and something that's really hard to fight because the way it makes you feel feeds into the behaviours that keep it going. It's frustrating to feel like you are back where you started, but you are taking the steps that you need to now, and you're taking care of yourself.
  • melodyfrommars
    Options
    i have suffered from depression for about ten years, though the past 3 have been the worst... not able to work, on disability, the whole works. i'm pretty convinced of the connection between exercise and a better mood. but yeah, just getting out of the house can be a mountainous undertaking. what helped me is having some accountability.. my therapist and i worked out a weekly plan to go on 40 minutes walks, starting at three times a week and working up to five. for now. having him to report back to about my success or failure in going on my walks helped motivate me. i also shared my plan with my mom and a friend, so as to have even better motivation. if i only have to answer to myself for slacking off and giving into my unmotivated self, its so easy to make excuses and not go.

much luck to you :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    For me it was the desire to live life as it was intended and not be a worthless tub of lard. Exercise has benefited me mentally as much as physically.

Good luck
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use B12.......... I take 2, 5000unit tabs under my tongue and honey--in 30 I am killing the track... Tried the shots and they hurt !! So my Dr. told me to try this and I love it
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I have suffered from 2 bouts of postpartum anxiety and probably a little depression as well. I find the best thing to do is to JUST DO IT! What is it going to hurt?

Take care of yourself! Eat well, drink enough water, take a break! And don't be afraid to ask for help!

I also have 2 little girls that deserve a happy, healthy mommy..so that is a huge push:)
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have had bouts of depression over the years and I have been on and off medication for it. however, I hate the side effects, so I have made a promise to myself to not go back on medication (i'm not judging medication, I just dont' like it for me. I think its beneficial and necessary for many). Since I made this promise, exercise HAS to be a priority in my life, it keeps me sane. If I go several days without exercise I can feel the melancholy come back and days I workout hard are my best mood days. Its really hard to get going so I agree iwth all the others.. do just 5 mins or 10mins. They talk about getting a "streak" going, so after 5 days you dn't want to take a day off. You will feel better, I promise!