Is there such a thing as too much oatmeal?

Options
SJVZEE
SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
I've just been given a 25lb bucket of rolled oats-290 servings worth of oatmeal :noway: So, I'm thinking about having a serving a day, until the bucket is empty. This would mean having oats every day, for almost a year. Is there any negatives to eating oatmeal everyday, assuming it fits in my calories? I just had a serving with cinnamon, walnuts, raisins, ground flax seed and a sliced banana-1 serving down, 289 to go lol!

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    yes.

any oatmeal is too much oatmeal.

mr-yuk.gif
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can`t think of anything wrong with that. Try some overnight oats. I love them, and they are a no brainer for a busy morning! But I`d eat them as a snack any day.

Recipe
    equal parts oats and milk (I use sugar free almond)
    Two tablespoons vanilla protein powder, or whatever flavour (optional)
    a little pot of yogourt ( optional)
    Some fruit if you like, or if you don`t like, none. Whatever. They are your oats.

Mix it up in a container. Leave in fridge, overnight. Eat it.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like flavoring my own oatmeal with tea bags. I think Burro would throw up at the mere thought of earl gray flavored oatmeal....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same foods every day or close to it. As far as I know there's no reason not to do so. That said I might look for some recipes that call for oats so you don't get burnt out on it.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    i'm not supposed to say anything because of an NDA i signed years ago... but just between you and me, oatmeal is made from shredded, recycled cardboard.

that 's why it has no taste, or more correctly, tastes like cardboard.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i'm not supposed to say anything because of an NDA i signed years ago... but just between you and me, oatmeal is made from shredded, recycled cardboard.

Cardboard is delicious.
  • SJVZEE
    Options

:laugh: I actually like oatmeal, as long as there's something with it :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I ate oatmeal every day. Sometimes with vanilla protein and different fruit, sometimes with chocolate protein and peanut butter, sometimes with poached eggs and hot sauce and honey. I did that for about a year before I got sick of it.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal with milk, molasses, cinnamon, and walnuts, every day for breakfast since 2006, except when I'm on vacation and it's not available. It definitely agrees with me! Love it, never get tired of it, and it keeps me full for 3-4 hours. No negatives I can see eating it every day.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I ate oatmeal every day. Sometimes with vanilla protein and different fruit, sometimes with chocolate protein and peanut butter, sometimes with poached eggs and hot sauce and honey. I did that for about a year before I got sick of it.

that's weird.

have you been recently tested for weirdness?

:huh:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - they might go off a bit in that time - I don't know how long they keep - I seem to remember opening a tub of rolled oats once and they'd got a bit sour, oily smelling. Dunno about oatmeal.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal for breakfast 99% of the time. I LOVE it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

that's weird.

have you been recently tested for weirdness?

:huh:

I don't need to be tested again. I have a lifetime certification for weirdness.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I usually have eggs with veggies but today I went with oatmeal mixed with pumpkin, eggs and pumpkin spice. Mix and fry in fry pan for pancakes. Sprinkle with maple syrup and pecans. YUM! I even put some cool whip on top.
  • katiebethschade1
    Options
    there is such thing as too much of anything, but a serving a day is definitely not too much. I only say that because my son has it every morning for breakfast and he is extremely healthy and his doctor thinks it's a good thing. and I also heard that it boosts the metabolism. :)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and usually eat a serving per day. Occasionally two.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Our oldest DD has had oatmeal for breakfast every day she was home for last 4-5 yrs.After getting to goal with WW,she knows what she can eat.Her meals change according to what fresh food is in season.Otherwise,she bases her meals on old faithful s,oatmeal being one.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No ... it's good for you. Filling. High fibre.
    Helps lower your blood pressure.
    Knocks your bad cholesterol down.
  • SJVZEE
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll have to look into storage-right now it's in a 25 gallon bucket with lid. It was stored with nitrogen, but I just broke the seal on the lid and opened it this afternoon, so I'm assuming the preserving properties is now gone. Our basement is cooler, so I think I'll store the bucket down there and then keep a canister of it in my cupboard :) Otherwise, I could maybe fit it in the freezer, in gallon bags. I'll do some googling and see what's the best way to keep it fresh.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You could turn some of the oats into no-bake cookies and freeze them-- I made some with protein powder in them that turned out pretty nicely.

No reason to limit oatmeal, as long as that isn't ALL you are eating.

Enjoy your oats!