Protein- calling all my high protein people!

Options
I am struggling to get as much protein as I can. 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. That would leave me at about 100 grams or so.... I`m trying to eat as much protein as I can because it keeps me from eating carbs, also I am losing weight while doing a lot of strength training. If possible I would like to have an intake of 120. But that seems to be a pipe dream. Also I have insulin resistance and high protein is keeping me sane and keeping my sugar levels good.

Despite eating tonnes of meat and eggs and sipping a protein shake with two scoops every day, I am just not doing it.

Anyone want to tell me what I can do to get more in....my diary is completely open. It makes it extra difficult that I am trying to stay within 1200 calories. Please note I haven`t had protein powder for a few days, I ran out.

Are my protein goals just too high for my calorie intake maybe? What should I be tweaking or adding in for a higher protein diet?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    :noway: Nada? No contester mis preguntas nunca.... ay yi yi....Que lastima.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, garbanzo beans and hemp seeds on a salad will help up the protein a little.

i eat 1700-1900 a day and get in around 130g of protein.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    33% isn't all that high.

I drink chocolate protein powder in my coffee all morning and knock off 60+grams before I even start eating food. I know, it sounds gross, but it tastes like a mocha- it's quite good actually.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to get as much protein as I can. 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. That would leave me at about 100 grams or so.... I`m trying to eat as much protein as I can because it keeps me from eating carbs, also I am losing weight while doing a lot of strength training. If possible I would like to have an intake of 120. But that seems to be a pipe dream. Also I have insulin resistance and high protein is keeping me sane and keeping my sugar levels good.

Despite eating tonnes of meat and eggs and sipping a protein shake with two scoops every day, I am just not doing it.

Anyone want to tell me what I can do to get more in....my diary is completely open. It makes it extra difficult that I am trying to stay within 1200 calories. Please note I haven`t had protein powder for a few days, I ran out.

Are my protein goals just too high for my calorie intake maybe? What should I be tweaking or adding in for a higher protein diet?

Thanks in advance.

If you were "eating tons of meat and eggs" with two scoops of protein powder every day, you'd be way above 100 grams of protein. Two scoops of protein powder is 50 grams already.

Yesterday you had one sausage and 3 eggs. That's not a ton of eggs, and it's not a ton of meat. Zero protein powder. The evening meal was the only one where meat was present.

The day before you had 2 eggs and a few shrimp. No other meat, zero protein powder. Dinner was the only meal you had any meat.

The day before that you had a salad with some meat in it and 2 scoops of protein powder. No eggs. Lunch was the only meal where you had any meat.

Getting the picture? You don't "eat a ton of meat and eggs." You eat some meat once a day, and maybe a couple of eggs in the morning. You don't have protein powder all that often.

Have protein powder every day. Fit some meat into more meals.

Want to see what it looks like when a woman on a 1700 calorie a day diet eats "a ton of meat"? Look through this diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ItsCasey?date=2013-08-03 On Friday she had a 5.5 ounce steak, 2 chicken breasts, and protein powder. Day before that she had an 8.5 ounce steak and 2.5 scoops of protein powder. Day before that she had half a pound of ground turkey and 2 chicken breasts.
  • will53421
    Options
    Two protein shakes a day of:

Optimum nutrition double rich chocolate, one scoop, and 16oz whole milk at 40g of protein and 420 calories x2 =

80g of protein and 840 calories.

Chicken breast sandwich for lunch =

53g protein and 284 calories (just for chicken).

Total: 133g of protein and 1124 calories is a good base for the day.

Add veggies, nuts and fruit for a balanced diet. Optimum nutrition protein contains lactase for those who react to dairy negatively.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pineapple Yogurt Crunch. (This has been my breakfast for the last few weeks):

Dole - Pineapple, Fresh, 1/4 cup
    Gourmet Nut - Dry Roasted Edamame, 1 oz (30g)
    Syntrax Nectar - Whey Protein Isolate, Flavor - Caribbean Cooler, 1 scoop
    Chobani - Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, 6 oz (170g)
    Kashi - Go Lean Crunch - Honey Almond Flax, 0.5 cup

480 calories, 10 grams fat, 41 grams CHO (13 of which are fiber) & 60 grams protein. It is a delicious pineapple coconut flavor!!!

Chocolate Cherry Protein Shake

1% Lowfat Milk , 4 oz
    Meijer - Greek Nonfat Plain Yogurt, 6 oz
    Syntrax Nectar Sweets Whey Protein Isolate - Chocolate Truffle - 1 scoop
    Townsend Farms - Frozen Dark Cherries, 0.75 cup

Calories 365, fat 2 grams, CHO 40 grams, protein 47 grams

Other options, throw dry-roasted edamame in salads, cereals, etc. (the Seapoint Farm brand has 130 calories & 14 grams of protein & lots of fiber). String cheese for snacks, 2 sticks of low fat mozzarella: 100 calories & 10 grams of protein. Chicken, fish & turkey. Quest protein bars (love the chocolate chip cookie dough & vanilla almond crunch). 6 oz. filet mignon, trimmed free of fat: calories 371, fat 19 grams, protein 47 grams.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    100g of protein is only 400 calories. You can fit that in a 1200 calorie day no problem (despite the fact that 1200 is probably too low anyway, but that's another whole story). If you're getting 50g from powder and you can't get the other 50g from food, you just aren't trying. You can get 50g of protein in just 8 ounces of chicken breast, which is a reasonable amount for just a light lunch.
  • riccoismydog
    Options

Thanks in advance.

If you were "eating tons of meat and eggs" with two scoops of protein powder every day, you'd be way above 100 grams of protein. Two scoops of protein powder is 50 grams already.

Yesterday you had one sausage and 3 eggs. That's not a ton of eggs, and it's not a ton of meat. Zero protein powder. The evening meal was the only one where meat was present.

The day before you had 2 eggs and a few shrimp. No other meat, zero protein powder. Dinner was the only meal you had any meat.

The day before that you had a salad with some meat in it and 2 scoops of protein powder. No eggs. Lunch was the only meal where you had any meat.

Getting the picture? You don't "eat a ton of meat and eggs." You eat some meat once a day, and maybe a couple of eggs in the morning. You don't have protein powder all that often.

Have protein powder every day. Fit some meat into more meals.

Want to see what it looks like when a woman on a 1700 calorie a day diet eats "a ton of meat"? Look through this diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ItsCasey?date=2013-08-03 On Friday she had a 5.5 ounce steak, 2 chicken breasts, and protein powder. Day before that she had an 8.5 ounce steak and 2.5 scoops of protein powder. Day before that she had half a pound of ground turkey and 2 chicken breasts.

Unfortunately I ran out of protein powder for two days. Life and all that. I checked the diary. Thanks for the input.
  • riccoismydog
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys! I'm going to tweak my diet and definitely try the recipes ( love new recipes) Hopefully I can get the protein levels up higher.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm having a similar problem... though mine is more balancing fat intake with protein intake. If my protein is up then my fat is over, if my protein is lower then the fat is as well. *sigh* Oh, the learning curve.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    100g of protein is only 400 calories. You can fit that in a 1200 calorie day no problem (despite the fact that 1200 is probably too low anyway, but that's another whole story). If you're getting 50g from powder and you can't get the other 50g from food, you just aren't trying. You can get 50g of protein in just 8 ounces of chicken breast, which is a reasonable amount for just a light lunch.

This is where I get confused. I read that your bod can only process 16 grams of protein at a time. So what good would it do to eat 50 g in one sitting? 34 g are not utilized.
    So what is one to do? Do you high protein people graze all day to make your protein count? Bc it seems like you'd have to.
  • IronMan_DuhamNC
    Options
    Gotta do the Whey Protein Drinks. That's the only way I can hit my 50% totals without eating everything that use to walk on all fours. Also start early with breakfast to get your numbers up then let them slowly come back down to your target throughout the day. Works very well for me. Remember that this method will shred the pounds off while add muscle at the same time.

IronMan_DuhamNC
  • riccoismydog
    Options
    I think that the story of the body only using so much protein at a time is maybe bro science. I'm not sure.

It keeps me full and that's the main thing. Mostly just looking for ideas to get in more protein, through ways that aren't eating a huge chicken breast. If I eat another chicken breast or egg I may turn into a chicken. Maybe.

Found a recipe for protein powder pancakes. I'm going to give them a go for lunch tomorrow.

Easy protein pancake recipe, as long as you have protein powder!

1 scoop of protein powder (I use chocolate)
    2 eggs
    A fruit if your choice (banana and blueberries work really well)

credit to jenmarqueiro, I found this recipe on a search on here. Sounds yummy. I'm going to try blueberries
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up 4-5 chicken breast at the beginning of the week, then i have them in the fridge ready to cut and throw on a salad or whatever. I also add cheese to my salad to add protein.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try Fish such as Talapia, Fresh or canned Tuna and Salmon or Lean Turkey.. For the most part these foods are low calorie and high in protein add a side salad of Quinoa mixed with some broccoli. Try and keep your daily protein goal at 25 to 30 grams of protein per meal eating 5 to 6 small meals a day.

You will have to be diligent with making your own meals ahead of time and take control of eating your meals hungry or not.eating every 2 to 3 hours

I try to get as close to possible to 1 to 1.5 grams of protein to my lean body mass weight of 165 pounds this was BOD Pod tested. so far I have lost 22.6% body fat and gained 4 pounds of muscle weight training 4 to 5 times a week with a little cardio thrown in 4 month time frame...so far this has been working on my 50 year old body.
  • js208
    js208 Posts: 1
    Options
    To increase with my protein, I like chili beans or non-fat refried beans with salsa, protein bars, scrambled eggs with cheese, greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. Can you tell I don't like to cook? I've also seen tubes of liquid protein in wal-mart near the protein bars.
  • JackB121
    JackB121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It is not true that the body can only process "x" amount of protein in one sitting. Our ancestors from 100,000 years ago would have been pretty screwed if they couldn't process the massive quantities of meat they would consume in one sitting from a successful hunt, as they had to go days without any quite frequently. These types of myths are perpetuated by the supplement industry, just like many now think that you have to eat many small meals a day to "stoke the metabolic fire". Nuh uh, not true. They just want you to buy their protein powders.
  • JackB121
    JackB121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

This is where I get confused. I read that your bod can only process 16 grams of protein at a time. So what good would it do to eat 50 g in one sitting? 34 g are not utilized.
    So what is one to do? Do you high protein people graze all day to make your protein count? Bc it seems like you'd have to.
    It is not true that the body can only process "x" amount of protein in one sitting. Our ancestors from 100,000 years ago would have been pretty screwed if they couldn't process the massive quantities of meat they would consume in one sitting from a successful hunt, as they had to go days without any quite frequently. These types of myths are perpetuated by the supplement industry, just like many now think that you have to eat many small meals a day to "stoke the metabolic fire". Nuh uh, not true. They just want you to buy their protein powders.