Best way to start lifting for someone terrible at it

Options
It's a personal goal of mine to be able to lift heavy one day. I started strength training recently with a personal trainer and am working on both body weight exercises and lighter weights/higher reps with the intention of graduating to heavier weights/lower reps and so on.

As of now, I have embarrassingly little upper body strength and muscle mass and even struggle with the lighter weights. I don't want to push myself to the point of injury, but I do want to be able to work my way into heavy lifting.

Any suggestions from some seasoned lifters? I've heard about New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5x5, etc, but it's hard to figure out where to start and which program is best for a complete beginner.

Replies

• me_monster
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom as I'm in the same boat you are- but I wanted to let you know that I found your topic heading to be THE BEST THING EVER.

I'm so glad we're friends.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom as I'm in the same boat you are- but I wanted to let you know that I found your topic heading to be THE BEST THING EVER.

I'm so glad we're friends.

Ahahah, I only speak the truth.

Yes, let's get better at lifting together. It's a shame it is my exercise weakness as I enjoy the strength aspects of fitness far more than cardio.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Strength training is scalable--unless you are disabled (and not even necessarily then), anyone can lift *something*. If you can sit down in a chair, you can probably squat something. If you can lift bags off the floor, you can do a deadlift. Even if you cannot do a push-up off the floor, you can bench press something. People often recommend body weight "calisthenics" in place of free weight training, but they don't understand this simple fact.

There are a lot of beginner programs out there. Which one is right for you depends on how much equipment you have access to, and what your individual preferences are. NROLFW is great if you have access to a fully equipped gym with cable machines, dumbbells and barbells. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 both require access to a barbell with a bench and a power cage or squat rack. AllPro, I believe, can be done with just dumbbells. The last three programs focus on a few simple exercises; Starting Strength is great if you like focusing on good form. NROLFW has a lot more variety and might suit you if you get bored easily.

You can do some bodyweight stuff with minimal equipment. Look up how to get better at push-ups, for example.

Really, if you are as committed to this as you say, do some research and decide what is right for your needs.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    *preface* I ain't no expert or even intermediate lifter.

However, I've noticed that so much depends on what you want to do.

Just dumb bells?

Just bar bell?

A hybrid?

Do you like the versatility of resistance bands?

Are you injured or do you have a preference for machines?

And that's just equipment.

Then you get into programs. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Crossfit, Anything sold by Beachbody or someone like that company, etc, etc.

Do you work out at home? Workout at a gym? (it matters, cause plenty of places that call themselves a gym, wont even allow deadlifts. Pfft, that's not a gym, that's a health care club, or fitness center, or YM or YWCA or something. Gym = deadlifts, IMHO!)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I can lift something, just a lot lower than I would like. I have access to a fully equipped gym (which allows deadlifts) and do all of my working out there.

I also hope to do hybrids and want to work mostly with free weights and perhaps some machines as well if that helps.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It's a personal goal of mine to be able to lift heavy one day. I started strength training recently with a personal trainer and am working on both body weight exercises and lighter weights/higher reps with the intention of graduating to heavier weights/lower reps and so on.

As of now, I have embarrassingly little upper body strength and muscle mass and even struggle with the lighter weights. I don't want to push myself to the point of injury, but I do want to be able to work my way into heavy lifting.

Any suggestions from some seasoned lifters? I've heard about New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5x5, etc, but it's hard to figure out where to start and which program is best for a complete beginner.

You have to start somewhere. I've been working with a trainer on weights for 6 months, and I am still only bicep curling 10-15lbs. The heaviest dumbbell I use is the 30lb one, and that is for bent over rows. For any type of chest press, I need a spotter for anything over 20lbs.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Start with weight that you can manage. As you gain strength, you will notice things are easier. The best way to tell is if you are no longer struggling to do 10 reps of a certain weight.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options

You are asking a very general question, so I can only give a very generalized response . . .

My first comment is that increasing strength is no different from losing weight, in that there are no shortcuts, so increase your proportion of protein, keep your diet otherwise clean, work out a lot, get lots of sleep, and be generally sensible. A few specific comments:

* I think a trainer is definitely a good idea in the beginning; I should have done it . . .

* WRT lifting safety, many weightlifters are not as much of d***s as they might look like (especially WRT women), so don't be afraid to ask people to spot you when you are lifting heavy. Also, getting accustomed to failing (i.e., dropping bars) can be useful . . . Otherwise, just know your limits, and if you are going for 1-2RM's, be careful!

* As a beginner, what your "routine" is is probably not as important as consistency, so 3 sets x 10 reps/set would probably be fine.

* I have always found that when I really wanted to get strong in the past, the "largest" exercises (i.e., those that exercise as much of the body as possible) worked best for me. For the upper body, this would be something like bench press/rows and deadlifts. For lower body, deadlifts and squats. Then I would use everything else to shore up any weaknesses.

Good luck!
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible lifter too, I had no idea how weak I actually was until I started, I'm only on week one though. I can't wait to see more replies!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It's very possible you're expecting "heavy" to be a lot more weight than it really is. If you can lift two 10-pound dumbbells over your head 5 times, you're not a weak beginner at all. And if 5-pound dumbbells are a struggle, that's a bit low, but it is not crazy weak.

You should be focusing on form at this point anyway. Practice with lower weights, higher reps, perfect form. Getting your form right will do more to improve your strength than anything else, so you'll get better pretty fast.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's very possible you're expecting "heavy" to be a lot more weight than it really is. If you can lift two 10-pound dumbbells over your head 5 times, you're not a weak beginner at all. And if 5-pound dumbbells are a struggle, that's a bit low, but it is not crazy weak.

You should be focusing on form at this point anyway. Practice with lower weights, higher reps, perfect form. Getting your form right will do more to improve your strength than anything else, so you'll get better pretty fast.
    2 - 10 lbs weights means she is about 50% lower that what one would expect someone who has never weight trained to lift. So thats substantially weak...

http://www.strstd.com/
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I see a lot of people at the gym, struggling with way too much weight when doing side raises, all the while not realizing that a lot of the stabilizers in the shoulder are _really_ small, and can't tolerate too much load.
    Good form will also definitely reduce your chance for lifting injuries over time.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Find someone that lifts or watch videos online
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Grab Stronglifts 5x5. It's free. It has you start with just the bar and you add weight in 5lb increments over time (between workouts). Simple and effective beginner's program. Get the spreadsheet from their site and it will give you the exact weights and reps you should be using for each exercise and for each workout (for about 12 weeks if I remember). Pick up Starting Strength (the book) if you don't know how to perform these moves correctly (not sure if you've already learned them with your trainer). It's got about 100 pages just dedicated to the squat alone.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have previously said. While I am not weight-lifter, you should start with where you're comfortable and work up. Don't let the number on the weight psych you out. If you're a person who does better with a routine, checking out NROL4W or stronglifts 5x5 might not be a bad idea. I myself am starting NROL4W Tomorrow. You could probably get the book at the library too if you wanted to check it out before investing money into your own copy.

Good Luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

2 - 10 lbs weights means she is about 50% lower that what one would expect someone who has never weight trained to lift. So thats substantially weak...

http://www.strstd.com/

These are 1rm though....

Regardless OP stick with what you're doing. Get your form right, keep working at it.

Lifting "heavy" is a relative term. If whatever your lifting is "heavy" for you, you're lifting heavy.

I wouldn't just jump straight into a strictly strength building exercise unless your goal is strictly strength > physique. If its not, give it time and strength will develop.

Strength =/= Size

As you are now... A total beginner.... I would use your trainer for as much knowledge and experience as they have to offer.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    I'm new to lifting. I started at 3 lb free weights 2 weeks ago (come Tuesday) and now I'm up to 10 lbs more 99% of e moves so my advice is start small and work your way up. You gotta start somewhere, I am doing Jamie Eason's livefit program on bodybuilding.com. PM me for more info or to ask questions, good luck on your journey.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Lighter weight/higher reps is something I was doing for years, without any results. I learned the hard way, wasting a lot of time in the process, that if you want to lift heavy, you have to ...lift heavy. Right now I could probably curls 2lb dumbbells ab infinitum, but that wouldn't increase either my strength or size. Push for the weight, not rep number.
  • gfroniewski
    Options
    Try StrongLifts 5x5. My girlfriend started it with me last month, and she absolutely loves it.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You sound like me 18 months ago. I could only do body weight squats and I was "deadlifting" 10 lb DBs. Today at the gym I did 15 reps of 105lbs. Even better, At low reps I can DL my body weight. Back then I could barely hang on a bar let alone to multiple chin ups like now. I've used various New Rules programs starting with lifting for women, but there are a lot of great programs out there. YOU WILL PROGRESS. Take it easy, take it slow, focus on form. IT WILL COME. Do 15 reps for a couple workouts, then 12, then 10 and so on. building muscle and building strength takes hard work and time. Some days I can't believe how far I've come in a year and a half. ALso, Make sure you're eating enough. Building muscle takes calories and lots of protein. If you are doing more than a very small deficit, you will hurt how much progress you make. Most people recommend eating at a surplus, but many women are uncomfortable with that, especially when the see the Scale moving up instead of down.