Advice on how to workout at the gym?

Options
I started working out at the gym. I run for 20 mins but I also wanted to do weights but I'm not sure what exercises to do or how many reps I should do. Please advise..

I am also doing T25 at home everyday.

I'm working out to loose weight.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Start with Stronglifts 5x5. You can go to their website for the full program and instruction on the exercises for free. It's a solid progressive overload, full body weightlifting program that's relatively simple and straightforward. Should take you ~45 mins 3x/wk and then you can do your running either after lifting or on alternate days.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i keep hearing this about stronglifts 5x5. it seems legit. i don't have access to a gym, but i think i'm going to join one soon and try
  • jc31388
    jc31388 Posts: 11
    Options
    -Start with some stretching to avoid injuries and increase flexibility ( 10 min ) I like the Stretch core thing they have at the gym

-do a light ( 20 min ) warm up cardo to get the heart rolling and a little sweat or less depending on your goals and time you can spend at the gym

-Do your heart raising cardio and burn the amount of calories you desire

-Weight lift alternating Sets, rests, and weight daily and weekly. all that depends on target muscle groups blah blah

example....
    week 1 / Day 1 and 2... -3 sets 13-15 reps
    week 1 / day 3 and 4... -3 sets 10- 12 reps
    week 2 / day 1 and 2 -4 sets of 13-15 reps

Personally i have 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to devote to the gym.
  • kbermeo07
    Options
    thank you
    -Start with some stretching to avoid injuries and increase flexibility ( 10 min ) I like the Stretch core thing they have at the gym

-do a light ( 20 min ) warm up cardo to get the heart rolling and a little sweat or less depending on your goals and time you can spend at the gym

-Do your heart raising cardio and burn the amount of calories you desire

-Weight lift alternating Sets, rests, and weight daily and weekly. all that depends on target muscle groups blah blah

example....
    week 1 / Day 1 and 2... -3 sets 13-15 reps
    week 1 / day 3 and 4... -3 sets 10- 12 reps
    week 2 / day 1 and 2 -4 sets of 13-15 reps

Personally i have 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to devote to the gym.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Warm up should be 5-10min of cardio or/and 5-10 min of dynamic stretching. The point to get the blood flowing. If you do decide to do actual cardio (longer than the warmup) than do it AFTER strength training.

1-5 reps are done for strength
    6-12 reps are done for hypertrophy
    13+ is endurance/cardio

Look into Starting Strength (great for technique/form advice) and Stronglifts. AllPros is also a good program

Follow one of these programs and get familiar with the moves and educate yourself on it. Don't try to make up your own routine if you are a beginner and don't really understand about full body versus isolation of body workouts on such and such day. basics count!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Want to clarify/emphasize that you do NOT want to do static stretching prior to the workout. It actually will weaken how much you lift. And speaking of lifting, I really really hope you read stronglifts or one of the programs I listed to understand how much you should be progressing weight wise.
  • kbermeo07
    Options
    thank you so much
    Warm up should be 5-10min of cardio or/and 5-10 min of dynamic stretching. The point to get the blood flowing. If you do decide to do actual cardio (longer than the warmup) than do it AFTER strength training.

1-5 reps are done for strength
    6-12 reps are done for hypertrophy
    13+ is endurance/cardio

Look into Starting Strength (great for technique/form advice) and Stronglifts. AllPros is also a good program

Follow one of these programs and get familiar with the moves and educate yourself on it. Don't try to make up your own routine if you are a beginner and don't really understand about full body versus isolation of body workouts on such and such day. basics count!
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You could also look into hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions just to show you the ropes.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Start with Stronglifts 5x5. You can go to their website for the full program and instruction on the exercises for free. It's a solid progressive overload, full body weightlifting program that's relatively simple and straightforward. Should take you ~45 mins 3x/wk and then you can do your running either after lifting or on alternate days.
    3rded for stronglifts 5x5. It's available for free online. It's short and consists of 5 reps (heavy lifting) for 5 sets. The reason many people pick progressive overload like the above mentioned is because it works very efficiently to firm the body. I threw cardio and high rep stuff out the window after I figured that out and my goals were to get thinner and firm up. Particularly since Stronglifts have been great for my arthritis where as the other stuff sort of cause me to run into problems with it.

I'm a puny weakling. If I can do it anyone can, don't be intimidated by it, once you start it's not intimidating at all.
  • grapegirl2
    grapegirl2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's good for the ladies too? The site is all men. I'll try it as a 3x's a week sounds great. thanks :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's good for the ladies too? The site is all men. I'll try it as a 3x's a week sounds great. thanks :flowerforyou:

Absolutely. It's a unisex program and you have no need to worry about getting bulky unless you're doing steroids.

One of the best things about this program is that by staying in the 5-rep range you don't get the hypertrophy you would get with some higher rep programs, so you get strong and lean without any possibility of getting big.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You could also look into hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions just to show you the ropes.

THIS!!!!
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later... i need to get serious about lifting...
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!

I agree 100% Get some professional help in learning the ropes! What works for one person may not be good for another so getting generic advice from the forums may be not good or dangerous! Get some advice on form and go from there! Good luck!

:)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am going to look into this StrongLifts site. I have noticed that it is quite popular on this site!