Cooking&&food prep as workout?

Options
So I've found cooking under the exercise options while I was searching for things I can do to burn extra calories because I ha gone through most of my calories for the day, but I started feeling really hungry at work. So hungry that I decided I rather do a whole other workout today than to not eat something ASAP.

Anyhoo, my question is, I've been sweating my a** off cooking hot dogs at publix (a is my temporary duty as the aprons chef:/ boo), for like... 7 hours, not even including moving the heavy equipment around. It's been relatively busy, and I'm wondering I it would be accurate to log atleast 5 hours of that time in. Can I be burning more calories than I had been previously anticipating?

Replies

• guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Possibly you are burning more than you thought.

Here is my take on things like food prep and house cleaning, if it is out of the ordinary for me, I log it if I think I burned a fair bit and need to eat those calories back.

Say for instance deep cleaning the hardwood floors, which involves moving everything out of the room, mopping and waxing the floors (only happens a few times a year for a deep wax clean) Normally they get mopped, but not steamed cleaned and another 2 layers of wax rubbed in, I have old 200 year old floors...or take Thanksgiving, I will log food prep for a few hours, but I normally cook for 2 days before the darn holiday and I need to eat those calories back, and I will work up a fair sweat getting the extra tables out of the basement, lugging pots of water, rearranging furniture, rolling out bread, buns, etc.

So if the 7 hours is out of the ordinary for you, then log it and eat half back? I say if you got sweaty and worked your *kitten* off, log it if it is not something you normally do.

If it is something in your normal weekly activity I would not log it, just eat more. And I find daily calories can be somewhat restrictive, and go on weekly averages. Seems to work for me a bit better as we all have those days when we are more active or just plain swamped at work and with life and don't eat as much?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sweating doesn't mean you are burning more calories!! I wouldn't count it because it is already counted in your activities that MFP has set up for you.

ETA: If sweating meant you were burning calories I would be skinny as a toothpick, I live in Florida, just sitting outside I sweat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sweating does not equal a calorie burn.

Set your activity level to lightly or moderately active. Your job requires you to be on your feet and you stay pretty busy, so you need those calories. Any additional exercise that you do, enter into MFP like normal and eat those calories back.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lora is spot on!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if cooking is exercise. What matters is that you're starving and miserable. Eat something.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    It doesn't matter if cooking is exercise. What matters is that you're starving and miserable. Eat something.

You!.... I like you!