9lbs in 5 days?

Options
I usually eat up to 1200 calories a day, I stay between 980 and 1200. I walk at least two miles and I started doing Zumba a week ago. I started at 289lbs and now I'm at 280lbs in just 5 days. Is that possible? Is it because I'm so overweight?

Replies

• 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Yes because people who weigh more burn a lot more calories. Good for you :) PS you should never eat under1200 cals and I would think 1200 is k inda low for your weight, since your active, I even eat around 1400 something. Just keep healthy :) Good luck and congrats for changing your life!!!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think it's healthy :noway: firstly you need to be eating minimum of 1200 cals :wink: 980 is very very low especially if you are working out too :heart:

Are you loggin the cals you get for working out cause that will give you a better idea how many you need to eat to fuel your body during the workouts:flowerforyou:

Ohh btw you might want to look at your siggy :love: first goal shows "2235lbs Trip To NYC"

Welcome to the site I'm Chellie sending you a FR we all need support to stay on this journey well I know it has helped me no end :drinker:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I agree.... Its great that you are losing weight, but you should never eat less that 1200 calories. MFP gives those guidelines for a reason!!
  • melodious2878
    Options
    I agree with the others. You aren't eating nearly enough calories. The days i exercise i have atleast 1400 to eat. Thats a great start though, but once you get to a lower weight your body will stop burning fat if you dont eat enough. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not un heard of. But what I can tell ya, is WHEN your weight loss starts to slow down to a more reasonable pace, 2 pounds or less a week, don't get discouraged...that's whats normal! Since you have a lot to lose, you will lose a lot in the first few weeks fast. Whatever you are eating, make sure they are good healthy calories---I suggest 3 meals, with at least 2 snacks to get you to at least 1200 cals! Good luck, and Congrats on changing your life!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting, your body is probably flushing out the first toxins & water retention. The first 5-10 lbs is usually a lot of water and some other stuff.
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll still be super excited to lose 2lbs a week. Anything is fantastic! I am alotted 1590 calories but with my three means and two snacks I rarely go over 1200. The more I work out the more I don't want to eat. I have to push myself to eat the two snacks. I've never been a big eater, I just ate the wrongs foods at the wrong times. Having three little ones under 5 that can live on Goldfish crackers and gummies haven't helped! This morning I had a boiled egg and a piece of whole wheat toast and a half of a banana, that will hold me over until lunch. If I force myself to eat more I get sick. The only thing I can do to eat more is cut back on my water intake. But I don't wanna do that. I think there's an anorexic chick inside me somewhere. I know it's not funny, I'm being honest!
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Sometimes the fastest loss comes in the beginning but try not to go below 1200 cals and do try to eat at least some of your exercise calories because if your not getting enough fuel for your body pretty soon your energy is going to decrease, you could start burning muscle instead of fat and the weight loss will slow down or, worse, stop. Then comes loss of motivation, reverting to old, bad habits, etc. Do you feel satisfied with the number of calories your on now? Otherwise, sounds like you are off to a great start - congrats on the 9 pound loss! Best of luck! P.S. - if you are having a hard time getting all your calories try adding a protein powder to your water (or coffee or tea, whatever) or a protein shake with a meal or as a snack - great for getting all your cals in and building lean muscle. hope this helps:)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'll still be super excited to lose 2lbs a week. Anything is fantastic! I am alotted 1590 calories but with my three means and two snacks I rarely go over 1200. The more I work out the more I don't want to eat. I have to push myself to eat the two snacks. I've never been a big eater, I just ate the wrongs foods at the wrong times. Having three little ones under 5 that can live on Goldfish crackers and gummies haven't helped! This morning I had a boiled egg and a piece of whole wheat toast and a half of a banana, that will hold me over until lunch. If I force myself to eat more I get sick. The only thing I can do to eat more is cut back on my water intake. But I don't wanna do that. I think there's an anorexic chick inside me somewhere. I know it's not funny, I'm being honest!

I'd recommend you aim to slowly increase your food intake by 100 to 200 calories per week until you're pretty close to what MFP gives you (after exercise). I aim to eat 50 to 75% of my exercise calories. It's easiest if you spread the calories out - If you know you'll be working out that day, try to make sure you eat more calories throughout the day rather than leaving a huge amount at the end of the day that you're supposed to eat. Eating a big breakfast helps (many people make the mistake of not eating enough of a breakfast). I used to be a non-breakfast eater, but over time I worked on it and now I usually eat around 300 calories for breakfast. Also, try for calorie-dense (but healthy) foods like beans, nuts/seeds (good fats!), peanut butter, hummus, regular cheese/dairy, and you can incorporate olive oil into your cooking if you don't already (it's another healthy fat).

I know it's hard with kids who tend to have odd eating habits, but you just have to make your own diet important for you, so that you can eat enough healthy calories every day.
  • horizonflight
    Options

You definitely need to watch your calorie intake. If your tracker tells you 1590 then try to get as close as possible. Those are the minimum calories at your weight and height that you should consume for your body to continue to function properly. Another post I read in another topic outlined that for any weight loss you have to get eating the proper nutrition and will generally see an weight gain within the first 2-4 weeks before seeing a healthy weight loss. If you're not consuming the calories properly and as close to the recommended amount I would assume that your body will place itself into starvation mode and you may stop losing weight. However, I find it great that you've lost weight already. Just take this into consideration during your weight loss in order to reach a healthy weight loss. Good job!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yes, it is possible to lose 9lbs a week especially when first starting out. Well Done
    However, you are eating too little and this WILL hinder your progress in the future...minimum of 1200 cals, although I would believe that MFP would put you on a higher daily calorie intake due to your current weight?

This programme REALLy works and if you try to cut corners by not eating enough, you will really hinder your progress.

Take Care & Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I usually eat up to 1200 calories a day, I stay between 980 and 1200. I walk at least two miles and I started doing Zumba a week ago. I started at 289lbs and now I'm at 280lbs in just 5 days. Is that possible? Is it because I'm so overweight?

Yes it is. Excess fluid is also lost during the first one or two weeks, this can bring the loss of lbs down by quite a lot in these times too.

Your weight loss will slow down to around 1lb to 2lb per week after a few weeks so make the most of it now and WTG on your weight loss so far, keeping at your daily calorie allowance and doing your exercise like that will have the weight drop off :flowerforyou: