Breakfast and Coffee

Options
So i know that alot of people say eat a good breafast. However, In the morning is my computer time, so i make my coffee and do my stuff on the computer.
My question is. If i drink 1-2 cups of coffee and am not hungry is that okay? I usually dont eat till lunch time then.

Replies

• somethingvague
    Options
    I would say no. Coffee(although delicious, and possibly filling) doesn't really have any nutrients. I know we hear this all the time, but breakfast is so, so important for health and weight loss. I eat breakfast every single day...and huge ones...400-600 calories.

This is what starts your day, gets your metabolism going....I know some people hate eating in the morning so even if you can just grab a shake, or a yogurt a peice of fruit it will be way better than just coffee.

And from wake up to lunch with no food is a really long time for your body. I'm surprised you're not ravenous by then...I would be, I'd probably start eating my sofa after about 10. :)
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was the same way for years and years and years (coffee and pc time in the morning). I struggled with 35 extra pounds for years and years and years. I started eating breakfast ~ even a small one this summer. I do it even if I am not "hungry." A good combo of protein, fat and complex carbs is whole wheat bread and a tablespoon of peanut butter.

From the research that I have done, it seems that the breakfast will jumpstart (for lack of a better term) your body in the morning. It is important and essential to long term, permanent weight loss.

Bottom line ~ my advice is to eat something! :happy: :happy:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on breakfast either, BUT, I try to eat a breakfast every morning that includes protein. Have a piece of toast and an egg, or a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch (it has as much protein as an egg), or some yogurt. You don't want to extend your night time fast any longer than you have to, or risk putting your body into starvation mode, even for a short time. If a big breakfast doesn't do it for you, have a small one and a mid-morning snack.
  • liss125
    Options
    This is the first time I have posted, because I share the same dilemma in the morning--drink coffee, sit at computer. As a matter of fact, that is what I am doing right now. I am never hungry until lunch time. If I were to make myself eat oatmeal or yogurt, or even something with more protein, like eggs, I would be hungry again two hours later. Most of my calories would be gone after lunch, and dinner is usually when I want the calories. I'd end up over my limit every day. Coffee is definitely an appetite suppressant for me, so it's hard to break this habit.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I still have 2 cups of coffee every morning BUT I also eat a breakfast. I know you're not hungry but you need to eat for later. What you eat now effects your body hours later. That's what's so important about breakfast as a meal, it's for energy later.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Definately NOT o.k. You actually have to force yourself to eat in the morning for the first number of weeks, and some mornings it will make you feel a bit ill to eat . . . but do it anyway. After a few weeks you will actually start to feel hungry in the morning and it will be natural to eat.
    It is MOST unhealthy not to eat breakfast so start to make this a habit today!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Welcome :bigsmile:

I am so looking at the way I used to be lol :wink: I was always a HUGE coffee drinker :drinker: and never ate brekkie :blushing:

Since I joined up here every morning I eat something at first I found it VERY hard but try starting by adding some fruit or a smoothie or a small bowl of cereal and build it up :flowerforyou:

I read this recently this is just a quote from it :heart:
    Eating a good breakfast does more than cut the risk of bingeing later on -- it revs up your metabolism, provides energy for your body and brain, and is a key strategy for weight loss and maintenance.

To read more click this http://www.lhj.com/health/weight-loss/getting-started/12-breakfasts-for-diet-success/?page=1

Ooops forgot to say I still have my coffee everyday now but have limited it to 3 per day one with each meal albeit a nice BIG mug of it :bigsmile:
  • mom2ecb
    Options
    I do the same thing. A cup of coffee in the morning, sometimes 2. But I have started making myself eat breakfast, even though I have no appetite or desire to eat. Especially since I exercise in the am.Usually a piece of fruit, sometimes a bowl of Kashi with banana. Maybe try a smoothie with some protein powder that you can sip at the computer?
  • katelyn002
    katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That's really helpful. I guess im scared that if i go to eat breakfast im gonna eat all my calories in he morning, but i guess thats not always a bad thing if i plan out my day just right.

Im off to eat something for breakfast, thanks to everyones input! :)
  • LMHuntley
    Options
    coffee-caffeine-is a stimulant. Stimulants tend to curb your appetite and give you a small metabolism boost. But, it contains no nutritional value! A breakfast-even a small one-is a way more effective way to get your metabolism revved. Not to mention, caffeine is a diuretic, so if you're not drinking enough water, you're dehydrating yourself and in reality, not working at 100% mentally or physically.