Walking over running

Options
2»

Replies

• hayley372
    hayley372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good to hear it's working/worked for everyone, i don't feel like i'm just wasting my time now :) I have just put a pedometer app on my phone so will go try it out now and see how i go, i normally do 40mins to an hour on the treadmill so hopefully over time i will achieve my desired result. I'm doing pretty good with my eating and my calorie intake too, thanks everyone for the input :happy:
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i love my walks, they make me feel amazing!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet. I walk every day, and do strength training twice a week, and that's about it.

Yep, this is what I was going to say (except I do strength training three times a week).

You do not need to run to lose weight. I wouldn't think of walking as something you do to lose weight, either. Exercise is something I do to be healthy and mobile and strong and independent. If I wanted to lose weight, I would eat less than I do now.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Knee and ankle problems keep me walking and on the bike. the bike is a great way to get off your feet and get your cardio in! It was recommended to me when I was in physical therapy.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy walking then do walking. You have to do what you enjoy. If you only want to run to burn more calories then that's all you will aim for and feel you have to do it to keep the burn.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet. I walk every day, and do strength training twice a week, and that's about it.

Yep, this is what I was going to say (except I do strength training three times a week).

You do not need to run to lose weight. I wouldn't think of walking as something you do to lose weight, either. Exercise is something I do to be healthy and mobile and strong and independent. If I wanted to lose weight, I would eat less than I do now.

^^^This. Don't count on exercise for weight loss.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    30 day shred does need a good strong ankle. How about swimming? I started out walking. I added a ski machine (I had one). Once I got more fit I started adding in some walk runs, along with DVD's and my Daughters Wii came with a Zumba. I don't ever push it much. I just keep plodding along. I still walk the dog, too. Walking is great, but it does take more time to use up more calories. I'm a fan of not going to a gym. I'd never get there. I'm a fan of doing what you have available. I put panniers on my bike and I've been trying to do some more exercise shopping on my bike more when I can as well.

It's true, the food is the biggest factor. But as a short, older lady I get very few calories to throw around. Exercise gets me more to eat options. Raises my metabolism with muscle. Plus the health benefits are obvious. So are the clothing fitting me nice options with a fitter body. I've been skinny before, but I haven't been this fit since I was 18, and I'm in my early 50's. It's a good thing.
  • hayley372
    hayley372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've just called Mr Rentals so will be getting an exercycle delivered tomorrow to add into my routine, my sister is a nutritionist and also a lecturer of health and fitness so she's helping me with the diet side of things, just a pity she doesn't live in the same city or else she would be getting my *kitten* going to where i need to be :smile: