Protein- calling all my high protein people!

Options

Replies

• riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Try Fish such as Talapia, Fresh or canned Tuna and Salmon or Lean Turkey.. For the most part these foods are low calorie and high in protein add a side salad of Quinoa mixed with some broccoli. Try and keep your daily protein goal at 25 to 30 grams of protein per meal eating 5 to 6 small meals a day.

You will have to be diligent with making your own meals ahead of time and take control of eating your meals hungry or not.eating every 2 to 3 hours

I try to get as close to possible to 1 to 1.5 grams of protein to my lean body mass weight of 165 pounds this was BOD Pod tested. so far I have lost 22.6% body fat and gained 4 pounds of muscle weight training 4 to 5 times a week with a little cardio thrown in 4 month time frame...so far this has been working on my 50 year old body.

That's quite a gain! Congrats. I too mostly lift, but mostly I gain strength and not mass, something about eating a deficit and being a girl lol. Sometimes a little cardio is fun too. Next trip to the grocery store - more fish is a must. I have quinoa, but I never cook it because the husband has something against it....screw it. Quinoa and fish it is.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    100g of protein is only 400 calories. You can fit that in a 1200 calorie day no problem (despite the fact that 1200 is probably too low anyway, but that's another whole story). If you're getting 50g from powder and you can't get the other 50g from food, you just aren't trying. You can get 50g of protein in just 8 ounces of chicken breast, which is a reasonable amount for just a light lunch.

This is where I get confused. I read that your bod can only process 16 grams of protein at a time. So what good would it do to eat 50 g in one sitting? 34 g are not utilized.
    So what is one to do? Do you high protein people graze all day to make your protein count? Bc it seems like you'd have to.

That's total nonsense. No idea where it got started, but it's absolutely false. Some of the most successful people I know literally eat all their protein for the day in one sitting. That's 130-200 grams. All at once. And no protein the rest of the day.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna and sardines you can get a nice little protein punch from a can of 'em. Tuna can be anywhere from 20-30 grams of protein a can. Also there's little things here and there there you can mix into other foods like Greek yogurt (11-16g), cottage cheese (12-16g), hummus, flax and chia seeds, etc.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    100g of protein is only 400 calories. You can fit that in a 1200 calorie day no problem (despite the fact that 1200 is probably too low anyway, but that's another whole story). If you're getting 50g from powder and you can't get the other 50g from food, you just aren't trying. You can get 50g of protein in just 8 ounces of chicken breast, which is a reasonable amount for just a light lunch.

This is where I get confused. I read that your bod can only process 16 grams of protein at a time. So what good would it do to eat 50 g in one sitting? 34 g are not utilized.
    So what is one to do? Do you high protein people graze all day to make your protein count? Bc it seems like you'd have to.
    It is not true that the body can only process "x" amount of protein in one sitting. Our ancestors from 100,000 years ago would have been pretty screwed if they couldn't process the massive quantities of meat they would consume in one sitting from a successful hunt, as they had to go days without any quite frequently. These types of myths are perpetuated by the supplement industry, just like many now think that you have to eat many small meals a day to "stoke the metabolic fire". Nuh uh, not true. They just want you to buy their protein powders.

AGREED...Nothing can replace whole foods PERIOD
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder with 6 oz of plain Greek yogurt and some cinnimon.This makes a great dip for apples or other fruit. 43 g. protein, I use about half per apple.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Lo siento mucho, intentaré responder a su pregunta. :wink:

I think my diary is public, so feel free to take a look. I aim for one gram per pound of total body weight, so somewhere around 180-185 grams per day. It's not easy, but it is doable. That's about one gram per 10 calories I eat, which is about the same as your 120 grams for 1200 calories. I agree that you should be eating more probably, but that's not what you asked about, so I'll focus on how to get the protein in.

My breakfast recipe would probably work well for you. I use a scale to weigh everything to the gram, so I'm not sure of the exact measuring-cup sizes; just scale the serving size listed on the package to reach the calorie target. I microwave 25 calories of frozen peppers and onions and 70 calories of shredded potatoes (like for hash browns) until soft, then I add 50 calories of Jimmy Dean lean turkey sausage crumbles and 60 calories of egg substitute, then microwave until there's no more liquid egg. I mix in a Laughing Cow Light Queso Fresco and Chipotle cheese wedge, and enjoy! 25 grams of protein, 240 calories, fully-balanced meal.

I *love* cheeseburgers, so I get some really lean ground meat, like venison or elk, or even just 96% lean beef, then eat that with a slice of fat-free cheese. I find I function best on meals with protein, fruit/veg and a starchy carb, so what I have the hardest time doing is getting enough fat and holding to my calorie budget.

I snack on things like beef jerky, light string cheese, and fat-free Greek yogurt. I have times when I eat a lot of protein bars and protein drinks, but it isn't necessary if you're careful.

Hope that helps some.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I read that your bod can only process 16 grams of protein at a time. So what good would it do to eat 50 g in one sitting? 34 g are not utilized.

Total hogwash. The body can use 30g of protein AN HOUR. Whatever's not processed in one hour will eventually get its chance.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    So far today I've had 983 calories - and exactly 100g protein. Good suggestions in how to do that are already posted, but my day included one egg, 3 servings of egg whites, 6 oz of chicken, a quest protein bar, a bit of parmesan cheese, and a few other minor sources of protein. I've still got just over 200 calories to go before I hit 1200 - could easily boost the protein another 30-40 grams. Plus all those yummy exercise calories (that I may or may not eat b/c I'm pretty full from all the protein!). It can be done pretty easily. Best to you!!
  • trhnsn63
    Options
    Try looking at the Paleo diet. Unless you are a vegetarian, there are tons of options for protein, animal and plant alike. I just started eating this way. No added refined sugars, no processed foods, no legumes, no dairy. Eat like the caveman did. I thought it would be hard to follow, but it is not. I even get to eat bacon! Wow......and instead of my go to chips? I eat snap peas and carrots for the crunch. I am following a 1200 calorie plan per day. And it seems to be working. I am not unsatisfied in anyway. One thing with this diet plan, which is basically "clean eating", you are not allowed to have protein in the form of powder. Check it out and see if it is for you.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I missed the part where she said she was trying to be in ketosis.

When I did a low carb diet, I was never in ketosis the whole time. I think ketosis really only happens with a high-fat diet. If you're eating low carb and fat, high protein, it doesn't happen. The high protein causes an insulin response just the way high carb does.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to get as much protein as I can. 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. That would leave me at about 100 grams or so.... I`m trying to eat as much protein as I can because it keeps me from eating carbs, also I am losing weight while doing a lot of strength training. If possible I would like to have an intake of 120. But that seems to be a pipe dream. Also I have insulin resistance and high protein is keeping me sane and keeping my sugar levels good.

Despite eating tonnes of meat and eggs and sipping a protein shake with two scoops every day, I am just not doing it.

Anyone want to tell me what I can do to get more in....my diary is completely open. It makes it extra difficult that I am trying to stay within 1200 calories. Please note I haven`t had protein powder for a few days, I ran out.

Are my protein goals just too high for my calorie intake maybe? What should I be tweaking or adding in for a higher protein diet?

Thanks in advance.

Each gram of protein is 4 calories per gram. 100 grams of protein is 400 calories. If your goal is 1200 calories per day then you have 800 left to do with whatever you want. Add carbs.. add fats... whatever makes you happy. Here are some examples of high protein foods that will give you some idea of what to eat to add up to 100 grams of protein:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Protein is the one macro I never ever have to worry about. I get 120-150 grams of protein (on my 1200 calorie limit) every day, with no protein powder or bars, by eating tons of greek yogurt (I found a brand sweetened with stevia so it's still fairly low carb), meat with pretty much every meal, and protein rich(ish) vegetables like spinach, broccoli, asparagus, and stuff like that. Also, including beans or hummus, quinoa, and edamame bumps up my protein intake as well.

Some of my favorite recipes:
    2 cups quinoa cooked in stock, 2 cups peas, 1 can of tuna, and 2 ounces of plain greek yogurt, plus onion and garlic powder, all mixed together and divided into 2 servings is 416 calories, and 27 grams of protein. It also fills me up for several hours.

I also love taking 8 ounces of mushrooms, onion, and chicken or venison sausage or ground bison, cooking it all up together, then throwing in spinach till it's wilted.

I love sauces and creamy things, so I've taken to adding a greek yogurt to pretty much everything, my dinner tonight was chicken with marinara (no noodles because I was too lazy to cook them) with two scoops of plain greek yogurt to make everything creamier. The yogurt didn't really change the flavor of the marinara, but added protein and calories so it was perfect.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options

not your fault for thinking this because of the wrong info you received, but this is one of the most egregiously wrong statements I've read so far today.

LOL! Thanks for letting me know. I just went and researched it and of course, you are right. Who knows where I read that nonsense. I feel much better about my protein shakes now.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch I had 100g chicken breast, 100g peas, 100g snow peas, half a zucchini, 65g light haloumi - all tossed with some chilli and garlic. 406 cals, 52g protein. And delicious.

Along with the egg I had as an afternoon snack, and the lamb I had with dinner, I'm tracking at 75g protein.

Hope that helps :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Your problem probably lies in the fact that 1200 calories is not enough. I would recommend reading this thread and getting an idea of a more realistic calorie amount:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

As for getting your protein in, just to give you some ideas, this is the basics of what I eat most days, no protein powder to speak of, and I clear well over 100g of protein nearly every day.

Breakfast: Porridge and milk, approx 10g
    Or omelette: 2 eggs, milk, cheese, spinach, mushrooms and onions - 34g of protein
    Lunch - Chicken breast or salmon fillet, hard boiled egg and salad, normally around 50g
    Dinner - Always some form of meat, can be anything, minced beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc, minimum of 35g, up to around 50g normally
    Snacks: I eat a high protein greek yogurt nearly every day - 13g of protein
    String cheeses - 5g
    Peanut butter - 4g per tablespoon