Is Green Tea an acquired taste?

Options
12346»

Replies

• gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you make it right. I'm pretty sure that when you're making hot green tea, it's only supposed to steep for like 90 seconds or something. If you leave it in too long, it gets bitter.

Secondly, there's no need to make it too strong. It's okay if it tastes like water with just a little bit of flavor.

Third, there are all kinds of flavored green teas, so you can try ginger green tea, or pomegranate green tea, or spicy chai green tea, or whatever. I tend to mix and match.

Lastly, I rarely drink hot tea at all. Every evening, I put six mix-and-matched tea bags in a gallon pitcher of tapwater and stick it in the fridge and let it cold-steep overnight. I've done some research to ensure that it still has all the benefits that hot green tea has, and it does. I think it's much better as a refreshing cold drink.

Now the only time I drink it hot is if I'm doing a "breathe deep" tea to help my lungs feel less congested...because it helps to inhale the steam as I sip (I quit smoking three weeks ago, and I have allergies, so sometimes my chest feels tight or gunky.)

Anyway, I hope something in here helps. Good luck with it!
  • Piratefifi
    Options
    I love tea, but green tea has always had a fishy aftertaste to me. Just can't get past it.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love green tea (and Ruby Red Chai from Trader Joe's) with a little Stevia added to it.
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    try different green teas my favorite is Tazo Zen. It has a hint of lemon grass and mint vey smooth. I also like the Jasmine green teas as they smell really nice.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Try white tea, it's better than green tea. And I found that the taste did grow on me.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i don't think so. i've always loved the flavor of green tea. i don't add anything to it, and i hate it if it's combined with some other flavor, like "jasmine green tea' or "blueberry green tea".
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I hate it hot, I hate it iced, it tastes like boiled lawn clippings. Never going to like it. Give me COFFEE!
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I add lemon and raw honey to mine. Love it that way. I buy the plain, sometimes I buy the ones with a little flavor as well. I have had some brands that I will never purchase again because they were so bitter. I typically stick with lipton or celestial seasonings these days.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    By acquired taste, I hope you mean acquiring as much as possible into my belly.

Because yes, It is definitely acquired :)
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! I drink it plain. I think it may be an acquired taste because all of my friends hate it. I grew up drinking it, so that may be why I love the taste so much.