NSV

Options
Now I have trying to lose weight a number of times, too many too count. Recently I have had friends that have been losing weight, and they look great. Some are doing programs where you drink your meals or have had gastric bypass. I have never wanted to go under the knife nor do I want to spend 400 dollars a month and drink my meals. Today I decided that it was up to me and I was going to start walking. My husband wants the best for me, but when it comes down to it he's not supportive, asking for candy, pop, chips from the store. When I ask my family to walk with me nobody wants to. So today I decided to walk by myself. My goal was to walk around the block. I put on shoes, not good ones and started walking. I will probably have blisters and sore ankles tomorrow, but I did it. I may have thighs that are rubbed and sore, but I did it. I walk slow so it took me 1 1/2 hours to do it, but i did it. Now I know that seems like a long time but I live in the country so my block is 4 miles long. My husband thought I was crazy and maybe I was, but I needed to prove it to myself that I could do it, and I did. I'm very proud of myself and hope to do it 3 times a week.

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, one foot in front of the other in the right direction :) You should be proud
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great job. I love your commitment but take it slow to avoid injury. I love walking and average about 40 miles a week. You can do this and walking can make the difference in physical and mental health.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I ask my family to walk with me nobody wants to. So today I decided to walk by myself.
    I actually love working out without really having to interact with anyone. I generally kind of find it a peaceful time to get away from things, let my mind wander a bit, and focus on my body and how I am feeling. Plus, looking out over GGB at either sunrise or sunset in solitude is absolutely beautiful. Consider it a bit of quality alone time . . . :)
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    You should definitely be proud of yourself! Keep up the great work!
  • Mamajuls97
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Some of your story sounds like mine. I just tell myself that I'm in control of myself & the only way I'm going to do it is to START!!!! Do it again tomorrow!
  • sophieannejune
    sophieannejune Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life...way to go!!!!
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That is a great start! It all comes down to the fact that we have to do these things for ourselves. I tried the same thing (ie: getting friends and family involved but no one wanted to play). I find the time I take to walk by myself therapeutic as it allows me to just be alone and at peace. I wish you the best of luck with your journey! (and I hope you're able to find some better shoes so that you aren't put off of walking before you get really started because of blisters!)
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Way to go. The hardest step to take is the one out of your front door! Family support is nice, but in the end, you gotta do this for yourself! And today you did. Way to go! You should be proud.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Awesome job
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    WTG!!! Good for you. I just started walking last month when I bought my Fitbit Flex.
    I try to walk outside each day, 2 miles if I can (its HOT here still), and at nite a mile on the treadmill.

Just bought new socks (stay away from cotton, get the kind that are for walking/athletic) and my next project is walking sneakers cuz I've got the blisters and other issues already (might not be able to do treadmill tonite actually, sigh):sad:

Get some comfy earbuds and go....I walk solo as well. Did have a friend mention the local mall opens early for walkers, so we both went yesterday...walked at our own pace so even though we went together, we walked alone.

Go for it!! Enjoy the peacefulness of being outside & best of luck of your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!! This is for and about you - not anyone else! Walking three days a week is an awesome start!
  • MaryMcnz
    MaryMcnz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    From one McCorkell to another - well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!