What is your "Trigger food"? How do you stay away from it?

Options
Hello everyone.
My trigger food is potato chips any kind doesn't matter I LOVE them all!!!!!
I have a hard time staying away from them especially if my husband has them in the house for his lunches.
I know that if they aren't in the house I won't touch them but I hate to ask him not to have them for his lunches and if I am going to live this way for the rest of my life (lifestyle change not diet) then i need to teach myself to not eat them just because they are here.
:smile:

Replies

• PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one! My trigger food is cheese and crackers. My husband doesn't care about it, so I don't keep it in the house. I don't know what I'd do if it was in my pantry!!! Could he keep his chips at his work place?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    COOKIES, but not just cookies, Home made cookies. We have store bought cookies for our daughter and that does not bother me a bit but if there is fresh baked home made cookies around I will grab one everytime i enter the kitchen.
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, all kinds of bread/rolls etc, my homemade cakes, pizza....I could go on!

Unfortunately I regularly make cakes for other people including my 2 boys so it takes a lot of will power! The rest is not so bad as I just won't buy it or get better alternatives. I'm sure my boys are ready to call nspcc because of the 'dark smelly' bread 'full of bits and stuff'
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Have you tried reminding yourself that some food is "ours", but some food is just "his"? It helps me when my husband brings in cookies and I don't have the extra calories for them. I just remind myself that while he might be willing to share they are HIS cookies and it would be wrong to eat someone else's food.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Cookies.

Simple, I don't buy them. And if I make them, I make em healthy with canned pumpkin, applesauce, flaxseed, etc
  • evviamarshall
    evviamarshall Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Chocolate of any kind is my trigger and I choose to not buy or keep it in the house. When I must have it I go and buy just enough for one serving.
  • Gorgeousaurus
    Gorgeousaurus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Luckily it's just my son and I at home. All I have to do is not buy those foods or ingredients to prepare anything I am prone to binge on!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Several things can be "trigger foods" for me: chips, cookies, candy(m&ms or mini bars), saltine crackers. I just try not to touch them. My husband always has chips, cookies, and candy around. I am the one to usually buy the crackers. I just try not to, unless someone is sick. As long as I don't touch the foods, I'm ok. As soon as I let myself have one, all bets are off:)

If we eat lunch together, and he has chips, I just make my salad and eat it. Planning ahead and having other options is very helpful. I eat crunchy vegetables and a tbs of hummus instead of chips with my lunch, or air-popped popcorn. If I really want the "trigger food", it is very helpful to count out the exact serving, and then put the rest away.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by trigger? Like does it trigger uncontrolled eating in the form of a binge on many foods, or do you mean I eat too much of that one treat?
    I don't keep milk chocolate chips in the house, I will keep dipping into them until they're gone. Same goes for pine nuts lol!! And they taste so good together.....
    But that's WAY too many calories. Ridiculous. So I don't buy them.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've had a few (hundred) haha "chip accidents" over time! They just kill me, so darned good and salty. Can't eat just one! Best thing for me to do is put a kitchen towel over them so I can't see them staring at me every time I walk through the kitchen. Same with cookies, which I don't keep in the house at all now. Chips are for hubby's lunches, ahem!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    oreos. and i dont eve like them really idk what it is but ill just realize i ate the entire thing so i dont buy them.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Trigger foods are really hard... especially since many of mine are lower calorie versions of bad for you food.
    How i deal with it since i do not live alone...

1. Buy only pre-portioned snacks (single serving bags of chips and such)
    2. All really bad trigger food goes in the "snack" cabinet and I DO NOT GO INTO THE SNACK CABINET.! I keep all my safe treats, and snacks in another cupboard.
    3. Do not keep mixes for brownies or cakes in the house, if you need to bake something go out and buy a mix instead.
    4. Don't touch them or look at them if your feeling like you might binge.
    5. Think of it as someone else's food and that you shouldn't eat it because it is theirs.
    6. If you want it really badly always weigh it and log it BEFORE you eat it. Just taking a bit of time to track and log it makes you feel more in control.
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My trigger food is a bad of Japanese style fried rice from Trader Joe's, orange chicken (even though I'm vegetarian),any variation of Moose tracks ice cream, and melted cheese (by itself or with something, it doesn't really matter). I doubt anyone's trigger foods will be as unique as mine.

I stay away from it by not having it in the house.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Many many things....I think fried chicken is my biggest. I just don't buy it....but once in a great while I might have one piece.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think it might be pizza, Popeyes' chicken, and tacos type food (mexican).

Those three things would really do me in if i put a bite in my mouth!
  • karenb4729
    karenb4729 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a chipaholic and just can't have them in the house. Same thing with crackers, specifically Chicken in a Biscuit crackers! Some days I just stand in the cracker and chip aisle at the grocery store reading labels.... keep hoping to see that chips are suddenly healthy.. probably not going to happen. :)
  • Izumimon
    Izumimon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sour candy makes me salivate every time I walk by it at the store...I've been staying away by promising myself that I'll buy a single small bag to take on an airplane trip I'm taking this month. It's soon enough that I'm okay walking away after that!
  • hatersgonahate
    hatersgonahate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    French fries or anything made of potatos :( its seriously like the jesus of food imo.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    French fries and any type of potato are at the top of my trigger list as well. Pizza, chips, and any type of fried food will also send me into a frenzy. I've been doing well for the summer, but now that school is starting back the challenge begins. We have an all-you-can-eat buffet style of cafeteria and it's definitely the not the healthy kind.
  • Mjnslce
    Mjnslce Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My trigger food is a bad of Japanese style fried rice from Trader Joe's, orange chicken (even though I'm vegetarian),any variation of Moose tracks ice cream, and melted cheese (by itself or with something, it doesn't really matter). I doubt anyone's trigger foods will be as unique as mine.

I stay away from it by not having it in the house.

I am with you on the Moose track Ice Cream! I miss it so much but can't buy it or ill eat the whole thing! :(