1200 calories feeling fine but...

Options
I am 18 and 5'1" weighing139. I read that almost nobody should eat 1200, but 1200 calories is "natural" feeling to me. Should I eat more even if I am not hungry to lose weight?

Replies

• bruinschick13
    bruinschick13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't eat less than 1300.
    It also depends on what kind of workouts you're doing.
    What are you doing? What's your goal?
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    1200 diets are controversial because it is supposed to be very close to starvation levels of nutrition.i started on 1200, but quickly changed my target loss to 1lb/week which upped my calories to 1500 a day. I was never hungry, but I did start to stall out - hence why I changed my targets. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you don't eat back your exercise calories, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and tries to hang on to as many calories as it can "just in case". By eating more, you avoid this and continue to lose weight.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    You should be netting 1200 calories if you are following mfp. So on days you workout, you would be eating more.

I'm 5'1 too. I started off at 140 and am now down to 108. Some days I only eat 1200 but most days I eat 1500-1650 calories. So why eat 1200 when you can eat more?
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I checked your food diary and the only day I see you even near 1200 was last month when you ate 1295 but burned 800 calories with exercise. Most of the days I checked weren't even 1000. Your not eating enough. You might feel ok now but later it will be a problem.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You're not a big person, so it would be natural that you would feel okay on 1200. If you're at the start of your weight loss, I would probably up it a little bit, only because if at some point you hit a plateau you have leeway to move your calories down a bit and do it without going under 1200. But, these are just my thoughts/opinions and you have to do what works for you.

But you need to make sure that's your NET number, so eat back your exercise calories. If not all, eat some!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to EAT MORE!!!!! :grumble:
  • _Elainee
    _Elainee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9 pounds so far. I exercise 5-6 times a week. My current goal is 120. I run/walk (mostly walk lol), Les Mills Combat, and ride horses about an hour. So should I eat past when I'm full or when I am not hungry to hit a higher calorie intake?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9 pounds so far. I exercise 5-6 times a week. My current goal is 120. I run/walk (mostly walk lol), Les Mills Combat, and ride horses about an hour. So should I eat past when I'm full or when I am not hungry to hit a higher calorie intake?

You shouldn't have to stuff yourself to hit your calorie goals. Unless you have a medical issue avoid sugar-free, low fat, non fat products. Full fat dairy, nuts and seeds, peanut butter all have a decent amount of calories in a regular size portion.

Edit to add: Congratulations on your loss so far!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I normally wouldn't advocate eating when you're not hungry, but looking at your diary you really aren't eating enough, and I just wonder if your body just isn't giving you the information that you are hungry. I would try adding extra calories slowly, say 100 extra cal per day for the first week, then an extra 100 again (so 200 extra total) for the next week and so on until you are at least making 1200 net calories. It's hard when you just don't feel like eating. There are plenty of calorie dense foods that you can eat in small portions (try nuts, nut butter, avocado for instance) that won't make you feel overfull, but will bump up your overall calories for the day.
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more. There has been more than just a couple days in a row you barely even get to 500 calories. You should be eating a lot more considering the amount of exercise you're doing. I'm 5'2" and I typically eat 1,200 a day. I've been kinda failing to log for a bit however, I am pretty consistent in trying to get at least 1,200 in there. I started at 146 and am between 117-124lbs right now because of water weight. I started January 21st of this year! You don't have to stuff your face to the point you get sick but you really need to find a balance with fuller fat foods if you are concerned about not meeting the basic calories for yourself. Remember fat will not make you fat, eating too many calories will. Fat/protein/fiber will keep you fuller longer and is an easy way to increase the calories and keep you satisfied. I would never tel you to eat 1,500 a day or even more than that. Sure some people will say if you can eat more why don't you. It all depends on your personal goals. Some might be ok with loosing .2 lbs a week. But I would prefer to lose 1-2lbs. And you can do this in a more sustainable way by feeding your body properly.
  • nickychicky
    Options
    I have the same problem. I struggle to get any where near 1200. I can't physically fit more in so I am looking for high cal foods .
    I can't eat nuts or olive oils though so it's hard.

I have lost over 60 kgs so far but training in Muay Thai and boxing every day .

I will try to raise mine if you raise yours
  • alejandrameraz1
    alejandrameraz1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How do you define how much of a certain food you are eating?
    I see a lot of 1 oz of meat. (tuna, beef) in your diary. Are you sure that you are only eating 1 oz?
    If so, try to increment those sources to at least 3 oz, that should boost your caloric intake.

http://blog.photocalorie.com/portion-sizes/
    this is a visual guide for portion sizes :)
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You should be netting 1200 calories if you are following mfp. So on days you workout, you would be eating more.

I'm 5'1 too. I started off at 140 and am now down to 108. Some days I only eat 1200 but most days I eat 1500-1650 calories. So why eat 1200 when you can eat more?

^ This - I'm 5'0 , and older than you (33) and I net 1300 to lose weight. I started off netting 1200 and have gone from 140 to 121. I don't do a huge amount of exercise but most days eat around 1400.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The reason people worry about 1200 calorie diets, is not because starvation mode, but lack of proper nutrition. It's hard to get all your vitamins and minerals with just 1200 calories. And depending on your metabolism, you might also lose more muscle in the process.
  • emmyj269
    emmyj269 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do understand how sometimes it is hard to reach 1200 calories. When I first started on trying to keep to 1200 it was really difficult but now sometimes I really struggle and because I know it isn't healthy to eat under that I have to find something to eat even though I'm not hungry. Although I think it may be easier for me as I do no exercise at all, I think if I did work out I would feel more hungry!

My average calorie intake is generally between 1000-1100 (but that does include some days being well below and the weekends being higher with vodka). Having eggs and bacon every morning helps to boost the calories!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    1200 diets are controversial because it is supposed to be very close to starvation levels of nutrition.i started on 1200, but quickly changed my target loss to 1lb/week which upped my calories to 1500 a day. I was never hungry, but I did start to stall out - hence why I changed my targets. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you don't eat back your exercise calories, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and tries to hang on to as many calories as it can "just in case". By eating more, you avoid this and continue to lose weight.

Not quite sure where that came from, but 1200 per day is nowhere near a starvation diet,m it also does not hold onto anything.