How do you cook your steel cut oats?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I need ideas. I've never tried before except in a pan and it takes forever. How do you cook them in the microwave? And what do you serve them with?

Replies

• Booschmoop
    Booschmoop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've made them in the slow cooker. Make a large batch and refrigerate. Warm up a portion in the microwave when you want to eat. I just add a little milk,Truvia and cinnamon when I want it sweet but sometimes I just add some margarine.
  • dkg1957
    dkg1957 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how to cook them easier also. I will try the crock pot - splendid idea. Thanks
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    cook them as per package direction then store them in the fridge for the week. scoop out what you want for your meal. I top mine with berries and yogurt.
  • anatolian9
    anatolian9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ever tried making a smoothie with it? Each morning I use a cup of oats cup of milk and the berries with peanut butter 1 cup of ice and blend it all in.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch on Sunday (stovetop) and then put it in the refrigerator in pre-portioned servings. It takes 25 mins on a Sunday morning and I have breakfast for the week. I also boil a dozen eggs at the same time. Easy peasy.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    cook them as per package direction then store them in the fridge for the week. scoop out what you want for your meal. I top mine with berries and yogurt.

This is what I do, too. I cook enough for days, then store in the fridge. I heat them up with a little water, add one chopped up apple instead of sugar, plus a tablespoon of flax seed.

I don't cook them in the morning when I'm in a rush to go to work -- yes, it takes a while for them to cook, so I cook them the night before.
  • Iamworthinvestingin
    Iamworthinvestingin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cook them as directed - It does take a long time, but it is worth doing it right... I love making a huge pot for the week, and the first day eating it hot with sliced almonds, cinnamon & brown sugar, a little flaxseed sprinkle and milk to add some protein and wetness - oh, and raisins... other days I will scoop out what I need and it tastes great cold w/milk and it is quick and easy - Now, if you want to heat it up in the microwave, this is a great way to do it, after it has been fully and properly cooked....

some oats you can do in the micro - but I think that is more for instant or quick oats... try the method above, I think you will be happy!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats - don't cook them at all. Mix w/plain greek yogurt, fruit and other mix ins. Put in the fridge overnight (or for a couple days if you make several servings at once). Eat in the morning.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Overnight...or at least all evening....in the crockpot, with almond milk in place of some of the water. I make enough for a few days of breakfast, it reheats in the microwave really well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok I did overnight and it turned out ok. Filling but still definitely not my favorite breakfast. And more calories... we'll see how long it fills me up for!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Google steel cut oats slow cooker, lots of recipes. Super easy to make, preportion into single servings and pop into the microwave in the morning. Suppose you could eat cold if you like it that way as well. Love oatmeal in the morning, so filling and quick! I've had made them with apples and cinnamon and was delicious, felt like I was having dessert for breakfast!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I've made them both in the slow cooker (with apples) and the overnight method in my fridge. Both work and taste good. I usually portion out a serving and add vanilla protein powder, that way I get more protein in for the day.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't like them cooked. I nibble them dry like nuts as a snack.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Add me to the slow-cooker method...I use one of those crockpot liners, so the cleanup is very easy -just throw the liner away!. The oats are cooked perfectly and in a nice big batch. If I am feeling particularly organized, I'll scoop out portions into smaller containers after its cooled. If not, then the oats go in a lidded container and we scoop throughout the week. It's not something we do very often, but the kidlets love it. They top theirs with frozen NSA fruit and a splash of milk or Greek yogurt and nuke it.

I'll have to try it in a smoothie, though...that one reminds me of a drink my mother used to make when we were little called avena...like a version of horchata.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Another easy method is cook as directed on the stove at night...when the water starts to boil, turn the burner off, cover with lid and leave til morning. I then store it in the fridge for the week and scoop out serving size and reheat in micro and top with fresh fruit. This is a pretty much no fail method, I do it every week! :wink: