HELP: Do I burn 200 cals in 12 mins or 30 mins?

Options
This may be common sense to others but not to me. I'm still in the learning game with proper exercise and eating properly. Research says that you are supposed to exercise at least 20-30 mins a day. My goal is to exercise daily by burning cals and staying within 1200-1300 cals a day. It used to take 30 mins for me to burn 200 cals but now that I can use the incline and walk faster on the TREADMILL I'm burning 200 cals in 12 mins. I don't know what to do as far as what is right. I KNOW that there is no RIGHT or WRONG. I'm concerned because I want to still lose weight by doing things right. My concern is, if I only do 12 mins, I won't really lose weight. If I do 30 mins I will burn 400 cals and have to figure out what I'm going to eat. True I can eat something, but I work out at 3 AM when I get off work. When I have eaten things to cover my cals, I usually mess up by going over in other areas like sugar, sodium, carbs, fat, or protein. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I doubt you would burn 200 cals on a treadmill in 12 minutes. How did you come to this conclusion? If it was because the treadmill said so you should know that machines lie.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I can burn 200 in 12 min on the elliptical, but i'm not sure on a treadmill. maybe you should do the 30 just in case. better to burn more and be safe. good luck to you
  • mile626
    mile626 Posts: 29
    Options
    I also think it is probably unlikely that you are burning 200 calories in 12 minutes. In general, non-athletes can maintain 10-12 calorie per minute burns for short bursts of 10-15 minutes. If you are going in an "all out" effort, perhaps you are burning as many as 120-144 calories in that 12 minutes.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    probably best to invest in a good heart rate monitor to figure your caloric burn
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I walk at a speed of 4.0 for 12 mins on an incline of 15%. Before I was walking with no incline at a speed of 3.2-3.5
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What do you weigh?

Treadmills are actually one of the more reliable calorie burn estimates. what % incline and what speed are we talking about? For most people 16 cals per minute would be bumping up towards maximum sustainable intensity. All bets are off on the treadmill giving you a reasonable number if you're holding on while walking up the incline though. Would you say this is a close to maximum intensity effort?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I walk at a speed of 4.0 for 12 mins on an incline of 15%. Before I was walking with no incline at a speed of 3.2-3.5

Are you holding on?
  • TemikaThompson
    Options

Are you holding on?

LOL Yes, I am holding on...I never thought about this factor. I just wanted to burn the most cals in the fastest time possible. I'm 5'2.5 and weigh 191
    Does it matter if or make a dif if I'm holding on?
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Bump
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would go for 30 minutes and only eat back 200 calories. Like the others have said 200 calories in 12 minutes is a pretty optimistic burn.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I wasn't asking the question wanting to know how many cals I burn. I KNOW how many cals I burn. I wanted to know if it makes a dif how many mins it takes :wink:
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes it makes a difference if you hold on, let go and see how much harder it is to stay upright.

Do less of a 'hill' and it'll give you a more accurate reading
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yes, it cuts your actual burn by about 50% if you hold on and even if you think you know what you burn that number is very high. Don't care what you want to log or what you want to eat but don't come back in a few weeks complaining that you're doing everything right but aren't losing.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I wasn't asking the question wanting to know how many cals I burn. I KNOW how many cals I burn. I wanted to know if it makes a dif how many mins it takes :wink:

by upping your speed and your incline yes it's possible you are burning the same number of calories in a shorter amount of time. HOWEVER, treadmills are notorious for being WRONG when it comes to calories burned AND by holding on you are not getting the full benefit of the workout (you're cheating in a sense) so no you are not burning 200 calories in 12 minutes and one of those reasons is you are holding on.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    Yes it makes a difference if you hold on, let go and see how much harder it is to stay upright.

Do less of a 'hill' and it'll give you a more accurate reading

Thank you, makes sense
  • TemikaThompson
    Options

by upping your speed and your incline yes it's possible you are burning the same number of calories in a shorter amount of time. HOWEVER, treadmills are notorious for being WRONG when it comes to calories burned AND by holding on you are not getting the full benefit of the workout (you're cheating in a sense) so no you are not burning 200 calories in 12 minutes and one of those reasons is you are holding on.

Ok thanks, makes sense. Didn't think of it that way.

NO FURTHER RESPONSES ARE NEEDED :smile:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    Yes, it cuts your actual burn by about 50% if you hold on and even if you think you know what you burn that number is very high. Don't care what you want to log or what you want to eat but don't come back in a few weeks complaining that you're doing everything right but aren't losing.

How rude. I'm new at this and just wanted help. Good thing I'm self motivated...Even if you are very knowlegeable, there is a nicer way to talk to ppl. SMH :noway:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    This may be common sense to others but not to me. I'm still in the learning game with proper exercise and eating properly. Research says that you are supposed to exercise at least 20-30 mins a day. My goal is to exercise daily by burning cals and staying within 1200-1300 cals a day. It used to take 30 mins for me to burn 200 cals but now that I can use the incline and walk faster on the TREADMILL I'm burning 200 cals in 12 mins. I don't know what to do as far as what is right. I KNOW that there is no RIGHT or WRONG. I'm concerned because I want to still lose weight by doing things right. My concern is, if I only do 12 mins, I won't really lose weight. If I do 30 mins I will burn 400 cals and have to figure out what I'm going to eat. True I can eat something, but I work out at 3 AM when I get off work. When I have eaten things to cover my cals, I usually mess up by going over in other areas like sugar, sodium, carbs, fat, or protein. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO?

That would equate to 1000 calories per hour. Walking on the treadmill (and holding on as well), for 4mph would not give you that amount of burn, it is more like 200 calories for 30 minutes, that equates to 400 per hour. As a comparison, it would take me 90 minutes running outdoors at 6.5mph to burn 1000. I am not sure how you measured those exercise calories, but it is highly likely the amount is very wrong.

If you were to do only 12 minutes of exercise, you would more than likely be burning under 100 calories.

Because of all this, you now need to make sure you do not overestimate your exercise calories and underestimate your food.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options

That would equate to 1000 calories per hour. Walking on the treadmill (and holding on as well), for 4mph would not give you that amount of burn, it is more like 200 calories for 30 minutes, that equates to 400 per hour. As a comparison, it would take me 90 minutes running outdoors at 6.5mph to burn 1000. I am not sure how you measured those exercise calories, but it is highly likely the amount is very wrong.

If you were to do only 12 minutes of exercise, you would more than likely be burning under 100 calories.

Because of all this, you now need to make sure you do not overestimate your exercise calories and underestimate your food.

You are so right. I just bought a new monitor so that should help me to be more accurate. I did lose a lot of weight holding on before when I did it, but I DO want to be accurate as far as my cals, good thinking!
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    that's weird because I ran for 14 minutes on a treadmill and my hr monitor and treadmill said I burned 115 and I did intervals to sweat more speed was 4.5-5 (yes im still slow lol) it totaled to a mile but no incline maybe that was the difference