Healthy eating food tips?

Options
I absolutely hate cooking. I like foods I can save and eat when I want so stuff that doesn't go bad in a week either. Nuts, dried fruits, jerky, peanutbutter... Oatmeal... These last FOREVER and they're simple to eat whenever. Frozen berries are nice too...

But what do I do about meats? I eat boiled eggs all the time cause I like cause they take nothing to cook... and you can make a bunch and save in fridge. But what about other foods... are there other things I can eat and stay healthy without cooking or keeping cooking to an absolute minimum. Also I like to buy in large quantities to keep down the amount of time I have to go to the store... so a big bag of nuts will last me for a while. Some peanutbutter and sugar free jelly lasts a while and PBJ sandwiches are easy to make on the spot. Stuff like lettuce, sliced turkey, etc for making sandwhiches.. while I like those too... Lettuce and all that stuff expire fast and I end up throwing stuff away... Canned chicken is nice but expensive and salty. Heck anything canned works for me. Maybe not the freshest way to eat but easy to cook and last forever till you're ready.

Apples, bananas, any fruit basically... I looove fruit so I have no problem eating a bag of apples or bananas before they go bad... and I love smoothies...

I'm trying to eat moderately healthy. No microwave dinners, burritos, etc etc etc... as fast and easy as they are, I just don't like eating em much just cause of whats in em.

But anyway, I want fast easy foods that are decent for you and quick and easy and I don't have to worry about it going bad if I don't feel like eating all of it.

I'm a skinny guy and can eat a pizza and not gain weight so I con't really care super diet food. I would actually like to gain weight but I hate weightlifting... cardio I like and can do that but cardio burns fat and does not build muscle so... but if I could just gain to a normal size, I'd be happy. But lets cross that bridge when I get there... basically for now I wanna fill myself up but I wanna eat decent foods with minimal prep time. I know PB and J is not exactly THAT healthy but it works for me but I could use a little fat.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Canned Tuna is a good option if you like it either plain or in tuna salad (just go easy on the mayo)

Also, I have a mini George Foreman grill. It's only big enough to make one thing at a time, but if that's all you need - you can just throw on

One turkey burger or 5% fat beef burger

A few chicken tenderloins

Some slabs of tofu

A pork loin cut.
  • acesneverwin
    Options
    Hmm, the mini grill is an excellent idea!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Cook hunks of meat and eat them with potatoes or rice.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the mini grill is an excellent idea!

I got mine at the supermarket.. I think it was less than $20, and I use it two or three times a week! My favorite is chicken tenderloins with just a little franks red hot (buffalo wing) sauce, celery and carrots in a tortilla or wrap!

If you buy in bulk, just make sure when you get home to divide it in to portions (a burger patty, 3 or 4 chicken tenderloins, whatever you eat) and freeze them separately so you can take one or two out of the freezer at a time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    HOLD THE PHONE.

how are burritos unhealthy?

bless my heart.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cooking maybe thinking about freeze dried meals that are made with real foods (like chicken, rice, etc)?
    There are a lot of these kinds of things at the outdoor stores like REI. boil water, pour in bag, wait, eat. Pretty minimal. There is a gluten free company that has a pretty decent line of these (chicken gumbo, chili, etc).

Lean Cuisine has a natural line of frozen entrees now that are really good and clean.

Try beans and rice. My friend calls them YUM bowls (because of the sauce she puts on them). Beans you can pull out of a can and rice just gets thrown in a rice cooker or steamer (if you don't want to boil it). Make a big batch at the start of the week and add sour cream, cut up avocados, some Yum sauce (or other tasty sauce), sprouts. Not really cooking, just throwing things in a bowl, like a wrap-less burrito and all fresh.

Meat is best grilled if you can do it at the start of the week and store it cold. Just warm it up in the micro, in the oven or a pan.
    Careful with the air cured and dried meats or salamis. The salts and sulfites really add up.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You could try seasoning up a bunch of chicken with seasonings/marinade and bake them off in the oven. Then you divide into the portion sizes you need and freeze in individual baggies. Sometimes we fire up the charcoal grill and do a bunch of burgers and all beef hot dogs to stick in the fridge or freezer to zap later.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    HOLD THE PHONE.

how are burritos unhealthy?

bless my heart.

Fact: Everything is unhealthy
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to hate cooking, so I lived for toast-based food. Open-faced sandwiches are good... put whatever you like on them! I usually do a thick layer of hummus, cream cheese, or even canned tuna and then have some sliced veggies on top.

Canned soup is good and filling, just keep an eye on the sodium. Canned anything, really, seems to fit what you're looking for.

When you do go to the store, plan on having one of those whole cooked chickens for dinner. Well, some of it... then the rest of the meat makes for really good leftovers. This was my mom's habit, and it saved a lot of time. No cooking on grocery store nights!

And it's probably life's biggest tragedy, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a great burrito less than 600 calories. And that's without meat or creamy stuff.
  • Grammie2
    Options
    I had two thoughts to share with you. First, I was wondering if you ever grill? Nothing to making a good steak and a baked potato. Plus if veggies are your thing, the grill is perfect too. No pots and pans to clean up and with some planning your whole supper will be done in no time. You mentioned wanting to eat healthy and most guys enjoy grilling. There are thousands of food combinations (and grilling books) to cook on the grill. A comfortable chair and a glass of wine or good cold beer will help you pass the time while grilling. Second, you might consider using a crockpot... its a good way to prepare meals without traditional cooking.
    Best of luck to you along your journey
  • Grammie2
    Options
    These are great ideas ! When you cook enough for more than one meal and divide it up for later it makes for easy suppers on busy days.