Sports Drinks / Electrolyte alternative?

Options
I'm training for a half-marathon and run approx. three times per week. I (almost) always get a killer headache after running, especially after a 6+ mile run. Doesn't matter if it's outdoors, indoors, 7AM, or 7PM. I thought at first I was just getting overheated, but it appears that I'm losing a lot of salt/electrolytes - hence the grainy, salty layer on my face afterwards :blushing: I drink 12-16oz right before bed the night prior to a morning run and just started adding 6-8oz of Powerade before my run and 8-10oz afterwards (+ lots of water), and so far I have yet to have a brain banger *knocks on wood*.

My only problem is.. Powerade's second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. and Sugars. Artificial flavors. YUCK. Does anyone know of a better/more natural source of electrolytes than Power/Gatorade?

I've also been looking at gel packets for mid-run on my longer runs.. is there any value to these? Any recommendations?

Replies

• Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You can make your own. With any uterus fruit you chose, honey or maple, and salt mix in with water (there is lots of recipes out there google is great. Also coconut water works well also. Just make sure that its one without extra ingredients.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon and run approx. three times per week. I (almost) always get a killer headache after running, especially after a 6+ mile run. Doesn't matter if it's outdoors, indoors, 7AM, or 7PM. I thought at first I was just getting overheated, but it appears that I'm losing a lot of salt/electrolytes - hence the grainy, salty layer on my face afterwards :blushing: I drink 12-16oz right before bed the night prior to a morning run and just started adding 6-8oz of Powerade before my run and 8-10oz afterwards (+ lots of water), and so far I have yet to have a brain banger *knocks on wood*.

My only problem is.. Powerade's second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. and Sugars. Artificial flavors. YUCK. Does anyone know of a better/more natural source of electrolytes than Power/Gatorade?

I've also been looking at gel packets for mid-run on my longer runs.. is there any value to these? Any recommendations?

http://www.harmlessharvest.com/WORLD-S-BEST-COCONUT-WATER *Recommended by a NY-resident forum poster in here; I'd sampled it, loved it and it's now a part of my daily intake*

For those who aren't impartial to artificial sweeteners, Nuun (an electrolyte enhancing tablet) might be another worthy alternative to consider.
  • earthdeuxbella
    earthdeuxbella Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Coconut water doesn't sit very well on my stomach - but I will look into recipes on Google. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners and was just looking for something else convenient.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Coconut water doesn't sit very well on my stomach - but I will look into recipes on Google. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners and was just looking for something else convenient.

DIY herbed/flavoured water w. your preferred natural sweeteners + salt clearly is all you need to keep you in-check, I agree *I'd never liked those staminade, powerade beverages either; Drank them out of necessity*
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    With any uterus fruit you chose . . .

LOL and eww. I don't like any of that kind of fruit.

I know you can make your own energy gels with honey, molasses and salt (basically providing sugar, potassium and sodium) and I assume you can also add it to water. I used gels with caffeine during my half marathon and I think they helped quite a bit.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Rehydrate by Advocare may be a possibility for you. I use it and like it.
  • will53421
    Options
    Powerade came out with Powerade Zero Drops recently for mixing your own zero sugar flavored electrolyte drinks without having to buy their mostly water alternative. It's less than a dollar to mix 32 ounces. That's your artificially flavored version.

Milk is well known to be the best sports drink.

To make your own, find out the amount of salt needed, and use the lite salt which is part potassium, part sodium. There are premade alternatives on amazon, but from my experience, they taste bad.

Personally, I use the drops. Easy, tastes decent, does what I want it to do, cheap, and sugar free.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/POWERADE-ZERO-Mountain-Berry-Blast-Flavor-Enhancer-Drops-with-Electrolytes-3-fl-oz/25752379#ProductDetail
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I use Nuun tabs for my long desert hikes. Its sweetening agent is sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol. I'm anti-fake sugars and really sensitive to the fake-sugar aftertaste, and Nuun doesn't have even a hint of one.
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was thinking coconut water, also. Maybe try a different brand? It's "nature's gatorade!"
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    smart water
  • creativecalico
    creativecalico Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really like the Nuun tablets. You could also take honey packets and some salt water.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Powerade Zero.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    As far as gels go, it's just fancy labeled and high priced sugar, you might as well just eat candy! As far as electrolytes go, I usually go for Gatorade and alternate with lots of water, mainly because I get bloated from the sugar in it (which I didn't knew was corn syrup). But in the end, it does the job so I don't worry too much.
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    smart water

Thats what i was thinking