Zumba and calories burned

Options
Hi! I've started doing this zumba video I found online, but didn't know if it was vigorous enough to chalk up to 400 calories in an hour. I don't stop doing the intervals and jump around when the movements are a little slow. Has anyone done it and if you have do you have an idea of how much it burns?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrzugz_zumba-fitness-live-workout_music

Replies

• loserintraining
    loserintraining Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do actual Zumba classes and can sometimes burn twice that. Do you use a heart rate monitor or anything like that to keep track of your calories burned?
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    No, I don't own an HRM and can't buy one right now since Im kind of on a budget! 400 cals was a conservative guesstimate based on this site http://calorieshq.com/zumba-calories-burned. I was sweating up a storm by the end of the workout but my heart rate wasn't so rapid I couldn't breathe (like when Im doing JM's Banish Fat).

I'm 5'6.5 and 141 pounds, for stats.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Maybe go to a site that has calories burned per your age, weight, height etc. etc. I always found when I was using 1 of those when I didn't have a HRM it was pretty close - only out by about 20 calories each time.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and I can tell you that depending on the intensity of the workout I burn anywhere from 400-800 calories per hour. The best method to get an accurate burn is a HRM, but if you can't afford one then check your heart rate & check it against some of the burn calculators online.

btw, if you get the opportunity to take a live Zumba class you won't be disappointed. Just try out a few classes & instructors to find someone you like :)
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and I can tell you that depending on the intensity of the workout I burn anywhere from 400-800 calories per hour. The best method to get an accurate burn is a HRM, but if you can't afford one then check your heart rate & check it against some of the burn calculators online.

btw, if you get the opportunity to take a live Zumba class you won't be disappointed. Just try out a few classes & instructors to find someone you like :)

I wish I could, but where I live the Zumba classes aren't really zumba- and they're difficult to find.

What's interesting is I checked my heart rate and it was just 144 beats per minute, I take a circuit training class (which is not as strenuous as the JM videos) and my heart rate is anywhere between 168-180 beats/minute.

Any ideas for videos I can find online? Anyone know how good the link I posted is for a class?