Options
    Bump
  • MrsStacie
    Options
    Bump:)
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i dont see why the f*** it matters what recipes ANYONE post on here...i've posted a cauliflower pizza recipe...who cares, some people like trying new things! If you don't like whats in it...or the nutritional value, then dont make it. duh! simple as that
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why do people post stuff like this on a fitness site? Look at that sodium content, people! :sick:

Sees recipe about cheesy Doritos chicken casserole, imply that Doritos adn cheese are serious elements.

Has choice between ignoring and entering.

Enters thread to complain about recipe they choose to click upon.

Seems legit.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why do people post stuff like this on a fitness site? Look at that sodium content, people! :sick:

Why? Because it's delicious! Is the sodium content a bit high? Maybe. Is it going to kill your diet? No.

Not everyone needs to watch their sodium levels, either. I actually do - because I have kidney stones that are made up of it. As long as I and under my goal for the day, I don't worry about it.

And speaking of which, I ate this tonight and STILL came in under my sodium level for the day by 600mg. My goal is 2500.

Drink lots of water to help flush it out. Plan your day around it, etc.

I've lost 40lbs in three months, so the way I eat must not be hurting me that bad! :)

Enjoy everyone!
  • g33kmommy
    Options
    Sounds yummy! What size bag of doritos did you use? Or approximately how many cups?

I bought an 11oz bag, and only ended up using maybe 2/3 of a bag. You can use more or less Doritos. The recipe called for an entire bag, but I cut it down. :)
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely saved to try. I'm going to sub Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican shredded cheese, and I think I'll try to just crush some Doritos on top, other than that I'm going to make it as written.

Thanks!!!
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • g33kmommy
    Options
    Definitely saved to try. I'm going to sub Sargento Reduced Fat Mexican shredded cheese, and I think I'll try to just crush some Doritos on top, other than that I'm going to make it as written.

Thanks!!!

Those are great idea's that I might try next time I make this too! :) Thanks!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that it calls for fat free sour creamand 2% cheese ... jeez, you're already using Doritos, why not use the real thing? ... lol
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that it calls for fat free sour creamand 2% cheese ... jeez, you're already using Doritos, why not use the real thing? ... lol

there's nothing wrong with cutting calories & fat where you can.......
  • blue730
    blue730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds AMAZING!!! I can't wait to try it...thank you for sharing.
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Probably make for my next cheat meal and use full fat cream and cheese.

Oh oh, did I mention cheat meal? Here comes the multiple "you shouldn't do cheat meal" threads....
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on the use of fat free stuff, but random thought: do they still make the baked Doritos? Because those are lower fat and calories. Not that I ever agreed with it. Just a thought.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Options
    Huh. According to the Frito-Lay website they DO still make baked Nacho Cheese Doritos. They also make something called Doritos Cool Ranch reduced fat. The reduced fat has 130 calories per serving, the baked have 120 calories per serving.

The regular Doritos cool ranch has 150. The regular Doritos Nacho has 140.

As far as why use reduced fat cheese, sour cream etc. in a recipe with something as junky as Doritos? Because the recipe sounds GOOD, and if I cut fat and calories bit by bit where I can, eating this for dinner won't kill my calorie count for the day.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Options
    O.k., I entered it into my recipes. I used a pound of Costco chicken tenders, and reduced the Baked Doritos to about 15 crunched on top. I'm thinking when I make it I might throw a Flatout flat bread on the bottom, or possible tear it into strips in the middle, instead of the original Doritos that were crunched in there. That would add about 15 calories and some fiber, but I didn't include that in this.

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

Campbell's - Healthy Request - Cream of Chicken Soup - Condensed 1 container (1 3/10 cup (120ml) ea.)
    150 23 5 3 1,025 3

Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 0.5 cup
    43 6 0 4 64 0

Great Value - Sour Cream - Fat Free, 8 Tbsp
    100 16 0 4 200 12

Rotel - Tomates and Green Chil's, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.)
    63 13 0 0 1, 175 8

Mccormick's - Taco Seasoning Mix - 30% Less Sodium, 0.5 container (12 tsp dry mix (6g) ea.)
    60 12 0 0 870 6

Frito Lay - Baked Doritos, 56 g (about 15)
    240 42 7 4 460 2

Costco Kirkland Signature - Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders, 448 grams (4oz)
    440 0 4 100 300 0

Sargento - Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican W/ 2% Milk - Corrected, 1/2 cup (28g)
    160 2 12 16 380 0

Total: 1,256 114 28 131 4,474 31
    Per Serving: 209 19 5 22 746 5

It's still relatively high in sodium, but if that was a serious concern you could probably make your own taco spice mix and omit the salt. But for barely over 209 calories???? I'll add a salad, eat Dorito Casserole and my food diary will be almost as happy as me!
    Thanks for the original recipe!!!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

who cares, drink more water and get over it!
  • Proudmommy0901
    Options
    I agree!!
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is a dish from my childhood and I still make it all the time. Although we do make slight changes.

Use the Spicy rotel. No Taco Seasoning, sautee an entire diced green pepper and diced onion and add to the soup/chicken mixture.
  • WilBSkinee
    WilBSkinee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump