I need advice as to why calorie deficit doesn't work for me

Options
Every so often I will lose a couple of pounds just to see them come back a couple of days later, it seems no matter how much exercise I do, if I eat between 1000 and 1800 calories a day I gain weight. It seems my body had decided 1000 calories is my maintenance level, to lose weight I have to go to 800 calories, it does not matter what I do my body refuses to compromise...

Its really p****** me off now, I can't live the rest of my life obese living on 1000 calories a day, please only give helpful advice and comments, I am depressed enough without having to deal with nasty comments...

My ticker may say 13lbs lost but that is cos I won't put in the weight from last few days cos over 2 days I gained 4.4lbs.... :sad:

Replies

• clo92boom
    clo92boom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sticking to 1200-1500 (or whatever mfp gives you as your net) for a while rather than just a couple of days? it might be the case that you put on a couple of pounds to begin but then with persistence would lose them again and more, also are you being strict about your calorie count by weighing food etc as it's easy to eat more than you realize if you're not strict
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    First thing.. a calorie deficit works for everyone, if you are not loosing weight you are NOT in a calorie deficit.. no two ways about it.

Now here are the things you could be doing wrong:

Monitoring daily or weekly fluctuations and taking them to heart rather than following the longer term trend.

Not weighting all of your food.

Not accurately calculating calories

Not accurately weighting yourself

Fluctuating your glycogen and/or your water weight levels with an inconsistant eating pattern.

Your eating too few calories and your are not going to loose any more fat doing so, you will simply sacrifice more lean muscle mass and utterly screw your body composition up.

In short.. you are being a typical yo-yo dieter, get the calories up, get lifting for that LMM, track EVERYTHING
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Your metabolism is in the toilet, basically. Because you've been eating at such a low caloric state (I'm assuming you're not under 5 feet tall), your body is hanging on to everything it has because you've consistently been telling it that there is nothing to eat. I ate at 1200 (which is lower than minimum for my body) and after 4 months I stalled out completely. I'm having to up my metabolism again. Eat 6-7 small meals a day and try to stick with healthy foods (some might argue that), and drink plenty of water (I try to drink a gallon a day). You might also look into exercising. Try eating around your TDEE for a month. You won't lose any weight eating at 1000 if your metabolism is in the trash, so go ahead and enjoy some healthy food and get the metabolism going again.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    First thing.. a calorie deficit works for everyone, if you are not loosing weight you are NOT in a calorie deficit.. no two ways about it.

Monitoring daily or weekly fluctuations and taking them to heart rather than following the longer term trend.

Fluctuating your glycogen and/or your water weight levels with an inconsistant eating pattern.

Your eating too few calories and your are not going to loose any more fat doing so, you will simply sacrifice more lean muscle mass and utterly screw your body composition up.

In short.. you are being a typical yo-yo dieter, get the calories up, get lifting for that LMM, track EVERYTHING

Definitely agree with this part!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can we start simple with your stats and exercise routine as well as opening up your diary? Also, do you weigh and measure your foods?
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ejennings has a great point. Eat 6-7 small meals a day. This will boost your metabolism. Eat "smart foods". Better quality, not better quantity. A 500 Calorie sandwich won't fill you up the way a 500 calorie GOOD salad will. Think spring greens, grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, low-fat cheese, avocado, and a little bit of a vinegar dressing. Add eggs and ham if you want, but steer clear from too much lunch-meat style proteins, as they are usually loaded with sodium.

jakebrown also has a good point. If you're eating lower than your caloric medium, you'd lose weight. Something is going wrong. Take 20 minutes out of your day to go for a walk. Get SOME exercise going, as this will boost your metabolism as well. Wake up early, and get a morning walk in. Pack your lunches the day before, so you're not struggling in the morning (my biggest problem). Your body WILL fluctuate weight every day, because it's not a constant. I'm a daily weigher. Yesterday I was at 207. This morning I was at 207.8. IT happens. I was under my calories, and did almost an hour of bike riding to burn an extra 600 calories.

If you're eating foods that are high in sodium, that sodium will retain water. So, if you're doing subway, you need to drink EXTRA water to flush the sodium out. I, like ejennings, also drink about a gallon a day. Be patient, and if you're stalled out, switch up your routine. Add new exercise, add exercise period (haven't looked at your diary, so not sure if you do right now or if you're sedentary), change what you eat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To point out, increasing the number of meals does NOT increase your metabolism nor will it improve weight loss by any means. More meals is a satiety thing, not a weight loss thing.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Can we start simple with your stats and exercise routine as well as opening up your diary? Also, do you weigh and measure your foods?

I agree with this. Also, if you make your diary open to the public, we might be able to find what is wrong. Without stats and diary, anything said in this thread is just a guess.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    meal timings/frequencys have no effect on weight loss.. they will simply dictate how much you weigh at certain points of the day.

there are so many factors effecting what the scales actually say, but as far as loosing actual fat there is only one thing that will effect that.. a calorie deficit.

The only way to achieve a healthy calorie deficit is accuaracy in what your eating.
  • webdevsoup
    Options
    To point out, increasing the number of meals does NOT increase your metabolism nor will it improve weight loss by any means. More meals is a satiety thing, not a weight loss thing.

Every thing I have read about increasing the number of meals to increase the frequency at which you feed your body, while decreasing the amount of calories in those meals, leads to a higher metabolism. I guess it depends on which source you go to, because a quick search on .edu sites told me it was both true and not true. But eating more meals may be a mind-over-matter thing. If you eat more frequently on healthy foods, you won't be as hungry later.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Your metabolism is in the toilet, basically. Because you've been eating at such a low caloric state (I'm assuming you're not under 5 feet tall), your body is hanging on to everything it has because you've consistently been telling it that there is nothing to eat. I ate at 1200 (which is lower than minimum for my body) and after 4 months I stalled out completely. I'm having to up my metabolism again. Eat 6-7 small meals a day and try to stick with healthy foods (some might argue that), and drink plenty of water (I try to drink a gallon a day). You might also look into exercising. Try eating around your TDEE for a month. You won't lose any weight eating at 1000 if your metabolism is in the trash, so go ahead and enjoy some healthy food and get the metabolism going again.

Eating 6-7 meals a day has no influence on how much BF a person has.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Eat at maintenance for a month or two. Real maintenance. What it should be for your weight, age and height. You'll gain weight short term, but then you'll be able to lose weight with a reasonable amount of calories. You got to repair your metabolism or you'll never be healthy.

The question is what were you eating to mess up your metabolism like this in the first place?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Every thing I have read about increasing the number of meals to increase the frequency at which you feed your body, while decreasing the amount of calories in those meals, leads to a higher metabolism. I guess it depends on which source you go to, because a quick search on .edu sites told me it was both true and not true. But eating more meals may be a mind-over-matter thing. If you eat more frequently on healthy foods, you won't be as hungry later.

I would suggest you pick new resources.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

(Edit: Not meant as a personal attack on you. )
  • webdevsoup
    Options

As I said, a quick search of .edu sites gave both sides of the story. Also, Dr. Andersen - Dr. A's Habits of Health also states that more frequent meals of higher quality protein rich foods will aid in metabolism.

For those that don't know, you can search for specific sites by typing "YOUR SEARCH TERM HERE site:.edu" in to the google search bar.

(Edit: No personal attack taken.)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such a hard time, I completely understand where you are coming from. I just came back from a month of the "I don't give a ****" attitude, and am going to get back on track....I'm not sure why except to be healthy even if I am fat. I laugh and shake my head at all these "you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight"....YES, that's the way it's supposed to work, but I've been at a deficit for more years than I can remember. I got tired after a couple of years of weighing and tracking everything without dropping a single pound. I went to whole wheat everything, whole grains, fresh fruit (minimal), brown rice, fresh veggies, moved away (not completely) from red meat, eat lots of chicken and fish..........did lots of walking @ 3 miles per hour...sorry can't walk faster than that, started jogging in spurts while walking, NOTHING! I've done the 1200 calorie thing for about a year, moved to the 1500 calorie thing, I even did my TDEE and went 500 under for almost a year. According to everything I've read and my little tracker I am supposed to be burning between 2000 and 3000 per day, I should weigh 120 by now.

So, I joined a gym with personal trainers, got a tracker to track how many calories I should be burning....I got fitter, but not trimmer.....from October til June I GAINED 20 lbs, was it muscle?, some of it was most certainly, but I also had to buy a bigger pair of paints because they got too tight around my waist., my measurements were changing, but not in a good way. Even the personal trainer couldn't figure out what was going on.

Cheat you say.....no, I was not sneaking food or not counting my calories properly, (after 20 years of this I know how it's done) and I have a witness, my husband.

The only thing left for me to do is to see a doctor, but that will have to wait as I have no insurance and very little money....

The moral of this little rant....write down everything for a month...everything you eat, everything you drink, every exercise, and how much of each, write down how much you weigh every Monday morning and then if you see no change it's time to see your Doctor to find out what the problem is and good luck cause I feel your pain.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your input, my metabolism got messed up by ssri's, I found out after taking them that they can cause a problem with the thyroid, but I have been off meds for about 6mths now, I am 5'2 and 44, so age is not helping either

Exercise

Mon zumba 1hr
    circuits 1 hr
    Gym
    treadmill, interval running 15mins, elliptical trainer 15mins, rowing machine 10 mins, upright bike 10 mins
    bicep curls 2 sets 15 reps, tricep press 2 sets 15 reps, rear deltoid 2 sets 15 reps, chest press 2 set 15 reps, ab crunch 2 sets 15 reps, leg press 2 set 15 reps

Tue zumba 1hr
    pilates 1hr

wed Gym as monday

thur circuits 1hr
    zumba 1hr

fri gym as monday

sat zumba 1hr

sun rest day

so as you can see I am active 6 days a week, but did notice that my fitbit said I only burnt around 1800 calories on my rest day ( sun) the rest of the time I go above 2000 sometimes above 2500 near to 3000

oh I had bloods done and glucose was fine fine but thyroid was borderline, here in the UK that means around 10, where as else where in the world above 5 is considered hypothyroidism
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem for quite some time.... What I found was that I had completely trashed my metabolism to the point where it has taken over 2 months to get it back on track.

Use the TDEE-20%, measure all of your food, avoid fast foods & processed foods (very high in sodium). Make sure you eat good solid calories, don't think just because you get more calories then you are used to you can eat anything, and drink plenty of water. Start walking as much as you can stand... get yourself motivated. You will see a gain at first, but that is your metabolism repairing itself. Be patient, and rant away all you need here, that is what the forum is for!

Best of luck!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stats thing OP, age, height, weight; also opening your diary will help a lot.

However, didn't you post in another thread that you spent years fasting for a day and then eating whatever for a day, then fasting again? If your body is used to that, and you aren't keeping your calories consistent now, it could be clinging to its resources for dear life. I definitely agree with those saying keep it consistent, eat ENOUGH for Long Enough and your metabolism will (hopefully) return to its natural state.

ETA: Was typing this out as OP was posting.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Not strictly true...

What is true in a calorie deficit you will start to lose something, whether it be fat (likely) or muscle.

However, you are looking at scales and not body composition. You could be retaining water, especially if you are not staying hydrated enough (so all the electrolytes in your body are out of balance and your body is clinging on to water due to osmosis trying to balance higher concentrations of electrolytes such as sodium out)

A 5lb fluctuation in a day for me is normal. Even more so when I'm eating loads of veg. It also bloats me but when I weigh myself next day and *TMI alert* in the morning after a good poo, i can be 5lbs lighter than say the night before...

Do not obsess over the scales. Look at other benefits such as an improvement in fitness, improvement in skin quality / cellulite, improvement in dress size/clothes fitting.

You need to understand that its easier to put on a pound of fat than it is to lose it. You only need to eat an extra 500 calories a day for a week.

Also, you may not genuinely be in a deficit... you must be accurate with working out calorie content if you're operating to the threshold and also, you need to be sure of your calorie burn/expenditure... because if you're eating for a number that isout... you could be in a calorie surplus very easily...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Open your diary! It's impossible to answer without seeing it.