who has done the C25k!?

Options
any advice for doing the C25k, i dont know really what to expect or what to do, 1st time runner, dont want to fall flat on my face!!

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    any advice for doing the C25k, i dont know really what to expect or what to do, 1st time runner, dont want to fall flat on my face!!

I'm starting it today! I'm not sure what advice to give you besides wearing comfortable, well broken in shoes, staying hydrated, and pacing yourself. I've done HIIT with running/walking and I really enjoyed it, and I think C25K is similar to HIIT in the first weeks (except maybe slower on the running sections then with HIIT). Good luck!
  • Crazeemaz
    Options
    Hi

I read up on it this weekend and am starting it this week. Hopefully tonight after work i will do the very first workout as follows:-

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

I will report back to morrow how it goes.

I have been trying to start jogging for a couple of weeks and finding the motivation difficult so hopefully this approach will be successful.

Good Luck

Maz
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I completed the c25k and was never a runner before. I would walk my rear off but I did not run. I completed the app inside on a treadmill as it was winter time when I started. I completed it all inside so I could keep improving to finish. After I finished the program I started running outside. It is a lot different and I do prefer running outside over a treadmill. I haven't run on a treadmill in months! 1 week after finishing the app program, I ran my first 5K. I finished in 40:37. Not the best time but it was awesome for me! I have run 1 more 5K since and improved on my time by 5 mins! I am now hooked on running. I am not the best runner but I get out there! I currently do a run/walk as my time is faster that way. I was recently diagnosed with exercise induced asthma so I have to use an inhaler when I run. My legs don't get tired and make me stop...it's my lungs. Very frustrating but I am keeping at it.

1. Don't feel bad if you have to do a week over! I finished the program in 12 weeks instead of the 9 weeks that it sets up for you. If you need to do a week over, do it! You will feel less discouraged that way.

2. Go to a run store and get fitted for running shoes. I started with shoes that said they were for running from a Nike store in the mall. They gave me horrible shin splints!

3. If you get shin splints, ice and take a NSAID pain reliever. Rest, don't push through the pain as you will only make it worse.

Good luck!!
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9. This is such a great programme, it's amazing how fast you progress. My main tip is run slowly! Good luck, you can do it :drinker:
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had gotten through Week 6 back in April & May this year, but travel, work, and the flu stopped my progress. It did, however, let me walk a 5K in just over 38 minutes. I just started up again yesterday with Week 1.

Week 5 and 6 are a little surprising on Day 3 as it changes a little and has you running for 20 minutes in one stretch - I completely surprised myself when I was able to finish those times without even realizing it, it helped to slow my pace with longer times.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I am on week 8 and I was always hated running before, now I love it.

Go slower than you think you should... you should be able to keep a conversation going.... seriously, go slower and then slow it down some more. A beginners stride should look more like a shuffle. Going too fast is why I started and failed C25K about 10 times... now I am going slow and loving it.

I also found that running first thing in the morning helped because it was too hot in the afternoon.

Don't be afraid to repeat weeks/days. However, I would only repeat if that week was still difficult, not just because you are scared of doing the next week. You can do more than you think you can. Oh, a yes, the 20 minute run in week 5 is possible. Actually after that you don't want to go back to the run/walk intervals.

Good luck!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! Do it do it do it!!

I started running to prove something to myself, because I always HATED running and told myself I could never do it. It feels so good to see steady progress. Stick with the plan. You can do it. Every time you run a little further than the time before, you will feel like a rock star. Other runners will wave to you in the street; it's like being in a special club. You will be AMAZED how quickly you improve.

TIPS:
    It's ok to repeat sessions - personally I progressed to the next week as long as I finished the week before, even if I found it really hard, but a couple of weeks I did 4-5 runs before moving on instead of the three.
    Resist the temptation to skip ahead if week one seems easy.
    Some time around week 5-6 something amazing happens and it starts to feel doable. Week 5 day 3 is scary (don't look ahead, trust me) but once you do it you will feel that nothing can stop you.
    Everybody knows to wear good shoes - what they don't tell you is wear good socks! Regular socks will get sweaty and bunched up which is a recipe for blisters. Invest in one good pair of running socks, you feet will thank you.
    If you can, get a pedometer. Distances look more impressive counted in steps.
    Your brain will get tired before your body. Your brain will lie to you and tell you that you can't do it. Don't listen to your brain. Distract yourself with music, counting lampposts, bribery, whatever it takes to shut the brain up.

If you get a bit bored running as I sometimes do, I can't recommend the Zombies Run apps highly enough. They have their own version of couch to 5k - slightly different structure but just as good, and with added zombie-apocalypse storylines.

Edit: if you are nervous, feel free to add me and I will be your cheerleader. I know I sound a bit over-zealous but I can't tell you what a boost it's given to me after I was always bottom of the class in PE.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm on Wk8 and I think it's a great programme - definitely does what it says on the tin!

There's a fantastic support group on here (search C25K in Groups) which has loads of information about starting out and gives support for when the going gets tough :)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi - I finished about 3 weeks ago and loved it....just did my first 5k/mud run Saturday and finished it in 40 minutes. Have fun with the program :flowerforyou:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I hadn't run since I was in school (I'm 50 years old now). I did each week twice, I began running at 4.8-5.0 mph on the treadmill. I'm now running 5.4 mph on the treadmill, and a little faster outside. I've walked / run 2 5K's so far and will fully run my first one at the end of this month. I love how I feel after a good run. Listen to your body and take care of aches and pains quickly. Warm up before you run and stretch after.
  • greglumpkin
    greglumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it, but it looks like a goal I'd like to reach after I've lost a few more pounds. My old knees need to be considered. :happy:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started in April and graduated in June. I was never a runner and was very overweight (230lbs) when I started. Those first two weeks I though I was going to die but I did not :) I pushed through and each week I thought that I would not be able to progress to the next week but each time I shocked myself. I was so proud each time I met a small milestone; I ran for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc... I felt so powerful and just amazing.

Advice I would give is to get good shoes. Go to a pro store and get fitted or if you go to a regular store ask about their return policy. I returned three pairs of shoes before I found the ones that worked for me. I would run with them for a few sessions and when they didn't feel right I returned them until I found my magic shoes!!

Find a breathing rhythm that works for you. I can't really advise on this as mine changed many times until I found my sweet spot :)

Go SLOW, really run as slow as you possibly can, even if it is just a shuffle. This is not a race it is about finishing each day according to the program plan.

Follow the plan. At some point you will feel like you can go longer or add a day, don't do it. Just don't. I ran Tues/Thurs/Sat or Sun so I had a day of rest in between. Oh and there is no shame in repeating a day or a week.

And the best thing-Once you start running (jogging) you are a runner!!!!!!! It doesn't matter how slow you go or how far you go. You are a runner :)

Share each success with your friends list or a C25K group. This way you will have people who will support you and encourage you on the days that you think you are going to die and the days that you have an "easy" run!!! :flowerforyou:
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! Do it do it do it!!

I started running to prove something to myself, because I always HATED running and told myself I could never do it. It feels so good to see steady progress. Stick with the plan. You can do it. Every time you run a little further than the time before, you will feel like a rock star. Other runners will wave to you in the street; it's like being in a special club. You will be AMAZED how quickly you improve.

TIPS:
    It's ok to repeat sessions - personally I progressed to the next week as long as I finished the week before, even if I found it really hard, but a couple of weeks I did 4-5 runs before moving on instead of the three.
    Resist the temptation to skip ahead if week one seems easy.
    Some time around week 5-6 something amazing happens and it starts to feel doable. Week 5 day 3 is scary (don't look ahead, trust me) but once you do it you will feel that nothing can stop you.
    Everybody knows to wear good shoes - what they don't tell you is wear good socks! Regular socks will get sweaty and bunched up which is a recipe for blisters. Invest in one good pair of running socks, you feet will thank you.
    If you can, get a pedometer. Distances look more impressive counted in steps.
    Your brain will get tired before your body. Your brain will lie to you and tell you that you can't do it. Don't listen to your brain. Distract yourself with music, counting lampposts, bribery, whatever it takes to shut the brain up.

If you get a bit bored running as I sometimes do, I can't recommend the Zombies Run apps highly enough. They have their own version of couch to 5k - slightly different structure but just as good, and with added zombie-apocalypse storylines.

Edit: if you are nervous, feel free to add me and I will be your cheerleader. I know I sound a bit over-zealous but I can't tell you what a boost it's given to me after I was always bottom of the class in PE.

All of this

I also will run the mapmyrun app so I can see my distance and speed increase which is a great motivator. Love reviewing my stats.

When I feel like I'm slowing down a lot and clunky I remind myself to move my feet forward not down (if that makes any sense).

You can do it!
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Run slow enough to where you don't feel like you are going to puke or die. Do not pay any attention to what speed you are running at, just aim to finish each interval running (even if it feels like you are trotting!!). Don't be afraid to repeat a week, either. It doesn't HAVE to be finished in 9 weeks! Good luck!
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the advice!!! i think i going to go for it!! i have lucky bought two pair of running shoes and the are so comfie
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I finished the program and loved it so much that now I'm doing a 10k training program. I definitly had to redo some weeks so don't feel bad if you do. When I first started I couldn't run down the block. Now I'm up to 4 miles and growing! It's an awesome program!!
    My tips:

-Go slowly. You're only competing against yourself so don't get discouraged when you see someone else going faster than you.
    -Wear good shoes. For real. Shin splits, and knee injuries are not fun
    -Eat well. Don't starve yourself and don't eat crappy food. The better the fuel the better the run.
    -Weight train. Alot of runners over look this but lifting has given me more endurance, and made my legs even stronger. Think higher reps and lighter weights.

And above all have fun!!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I completed the program.. it is truly amazing because I never ran in my life before it!

Biggest tip I have is to stay the course and don't sprint through it.

Also, good NEW shoes and hydration is a must! I load up on good carbs before a run so my body (and mind) don't shut down when I'm running for longer than 30 minutes. I lift on off run days
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    By the way, there is an app called RunDouble for Android.. it offers the C25K free if you sign up for Achievements (just make up a fake email address or something). You can make a playlist for music and run the app at the same time on your phone. It shows all your stats too and your min/mile as well