It's a family thing!!

Options
I had a meeting this week with kids and hubby. I told them that I needed help with losing weight and that eating habits would have to change in the home for everyone. Which meant no more junk food in the house. Just yogurts, fruits and veggies. Everyone agreed.

Well, this morning I was running late and I didn't have time to prepare a healthy snack for my 7 yrs old. I grabbed a pack of chocolate chip cookies minis that were left from the last foodshopping. I went to give it to him and he says "Mom, aren't we suppose to be eating healthy. Like fruits and veggies?"...

My little boy motivated me to do better this morning! :love:

Replies

• jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Good for him!! My daughter has hot lunch most days and for snacks we always have granola bars on hand -there are some pretty tasty organic ones out there with NO high fructose corn syrup in them - and apples and oranges. Also get those baby carrots that are either prepacked in small portions or just buy a bag and throw them into ziplocs so they are ready to go.
  • cnash81
    Options
    That's awesome when they start making the healthier choices all on their own. We've been eating healthier as a family for about six months now. My children will choose an apple with peanut butter over cookies or chips these days. It really makes you feel good as a mom to know that you're equiping them with the knowledge to make healthy choices that will stick with them for life.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Love this! Good for you! Some people try to "avoid temptation" because they have to give junk to the family. My niece brings her little ones into the kitchen to help prepare healthy meals AND TREATS! There are many recipes online and always something the little ones can do. BEST of luck to you! GREAT to get the children started now.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That's just awesome. My little guy never ceases to amaze me. He's 3 and the other day when I told him I was going to the gym he ran into his room and put on his sneakers and announced that he was coming too, he wanted to help Mommy get healthy!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Woot, woot!!!

This is what I am talking about!!

This is the idea of TRUE lifestyle change!!!

My hubby knows that if he wants to eat any "junk" he has to do it while he is at work or bring home only 1 serving............

I bought him a box of Dilly bars from Dairy Queen though when I did my last grocery shopping because he had asked for them. I didn't mind getting those for him because its not something that I like. :laugh:

And he must not have wanted them too bad because they are still sitting in the freezer unopened. :noway:
  • sincereme
    Options
    :love: It is just plain amazing how much of a difference having your family in the process helps.

My sister in law told me that recently she took him to Red Robins for lunch and when the waitress asked him " Do you want french fries with that or Carrot Sticks w/ ranch?" He said - "Carrot sticks with ranch, they are the healthier choice!."
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    That is awesome! And seriously, for a kid to stick to the healthy eating rather than being excited that they still get cookies...that is really amazing!!!
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    That is awesome! I wish my family were more like that I think I would be having an easier time:)
  • sincereme
    Options
    I used to think the same way until I asked for the help. Sometimes thats all it takes!!!!
    That is awesome! I wish my family were more like that I think I would be having an easier time:)