Work outside home moms...

Options
Hi,
Just wondering how you fit in your exercise, if and when you need to be creative. I find it super challenging to get in time for myself on a daily basis. Food is easier because I can do my prep at nights when kids are asleep, but I find by 830 at night, I'm really exhausted. Also right after work is out for me because of my commute I only get 2 hours with my kids a day and I feel to guilty leaving for me at that time.
So, right now I get up at 530-6am to work out, and I usually run or do bootcamp on my phone. I'm getting a little bored with this. So, wondering if you have found any other fun/creative ways to get work outs in?
Today for example, I got up at 6, but needed to get to work early for meetings so no work out. Won't get home until 6:30-7. So I'm going to have to work out at 830, but I know I"m really not going to want to! All/any suggestions welcome ;)
- Sadie

Replies

• CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom who has sole custody of her child, so I understand that it can be difficult to fit exercise in sometimes between work, caring for your child, preparing meals, going to your child's activities, playing etc.

For me, I never exercise in the morning as we are out of the house by 7 am. I generally run at lunch time, sometimes I will take my daughter for a run after her bath (she's almost 5 but will still sit in the running stroller with either a book or a DVD... I don't know how much longer she will agree to do this, though), or I'll hop on the elliptical or do weights after she has gone to sleep. I find it I put a load of laundry in at the beginning of my workout, it motivates me to fill the time of the wash cycle with exercise :-P
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Do you get a lunch break? I enjoy getting a run in at lunch. It really helps my work day go faster because of how it is split up.
  • mruth4
    mruth4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just gave up on working out at all! I am trying to walk in the evenings but I'm exhausted at the end of the day as well. I'd like to get up early and do it but I have a huge problem with hitting snooze and not getting up. How do you do it?!?! I'll be watching this thread for more good ideas! :)
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am a full time worker with two small boys.... I do insanity at night when they are in bed! I also try to fit in long walks, biking and pick up my heavy weights as much as possible. Today I went out jogging in my lunch break!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    On good days I'm up at 5:15 to get a run or my workout in, and I hit the gym during my lunch hour. On not so good days, I hit the gym only. My evenings are generally reserved for family time. I'm fortunate though as my husband does all the cooking so if I need to sneak in a quick workout after work he's handling dinner and I just have to manage clean up!

My kids are aged 21-7. The oldest 2 (21 & 20) are out of the house. The last 3 (15, 13, 7) are fairly self sufficient. However, I have tried to take the 7 year old with me on my runs. He is all excited to ride his bike on the trail while I run until we're about 1/2 a mile in. . .then it becomes pure torture!! Maybe when he's 8...LOL!!

FInd the times that work the best for you and be a bulldog about keeping that time for you. It's 30 min to an hour. Not a lot when you really think about it!!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 to get started working out by 5. I work out at home. I lift 3 days a week followed by some Fitness Blender routines. 2 days a week I was running when race training, now I've switched that to doing some sprint work/intervals and/or a more hard core cardio/HIIT Fitness Blender routine. I try to fit in a run on the weekends at some point.

As for creative ideas, one of my girls' favorites is to throw on some music and have a dance party. Just jump around, keep moving, and you'll get our HR right up and get in some fun cardio. I don't know how old/big your kids are, but my 4 year old loves to climb on my back while I do squats, be used as a bar for curls and add resistance for bodyweight exercises wherever I can fit her in!
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can workout on your lunch break. How old are your kids? Can you run while they ride their bikes? Or push them in the stroller while you run?

As for working out at night...I am not a fan either. I get up at 5:30am (and that's NOT working out in the morning, if I wanted to work out in the am, it has to be at 4:30). I work all day, hang out with the kiddos in the evening, and put them to bed around 8:30 or 9pm. But, it's important to me, and to my family, that I workout, get in shape, and am healthier. So I just do it. You can do a Jillian Michael's DVD in 25 minutes, and you will feel awesome when you are done!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on this one. Because I get an hour for lunch, I use that time to go to the nearby rec centers and try to get in at least a 30 minute workout. If I have to, I will extend my workday by 30 minutes to get an hour and a half lunch to get a longer one out. I find this is the only time I can do it because even though I'm up at 5:30 most mornings, that time is taken to get some chores started (like a load of laundry) or some quick clean ups and getting the pets taken care of... and then by the time the little one goes to bed at around 8pm.. I try to do my actual house cleaning from 8/8:30 until 10.

And I agree, it does make my work day go faster when I break it up AND I have a bit more energy to get things done in the afternoon too, instead of the afternoon slump.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    do you have showering facilities at work? i run to work now (not all the way) - just run for my train then get off a stop early and run to work - works great for me as i hate the treadmill.

then i squeeze in 30 -45min weights 3x a week :)
  • Tylergirl6306
    Tylergirl6306 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up and out in the mornings while the kids are sleeping. I go to the Y and work out from 5:45-6:30. Also I found a soccer league that plays at night, mostly after the kids go to bed, so that gives me something different to do. Throw in the occasional P90X video after they go to bed, too.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Because my home is tiny, I workout at the gym or outside, so my time is limited by when there are babysitting hours at the gym, or when my husband can watch the kids. He works third shift, so that means anytime after 8:30pm, or before 7am is out for me.

I usually work out at least twice during the week at lunchtime, once in the evening from 7-8:30, and whenever I want on Saturday & Sunday. This way I can get in nearly 6 hours of gym time, and the only time the kids notice I'm gone is one night during the week. They enjoy the extra time with their dad, so this is no big deal.
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Right now I get up at 5.50 every day and am doing the 30DS which is only 20 minutes long. I sometimes walk in my lunch hour or fit in some wii zumba in the evening. At the weekends I am trying to be more active and use some calories - so yesterday I helped my husband with some gardening, including digging which I wouldn't touch normally. It's a challenge to fit it all in! (and be super mum, and a great employee, and have a clean(ish) house).

Am looking forward to some vacation time in two weeks!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 a.m. and go to the gym until about 6;00-6:15. Luckily, I have an older teenager who is at the house in case one of the younger kids need anything. For the most part, they don't wake up, when they have they have just turned on the TV & got their breakfast. Lunches are pretty easy. I pack a bag full of the 2nd part of my breakfast, lunch & snacks. Today I have 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 string cheese, carrot sticks, hummus & pita chips & leftover meat & veggies from kabobs last night along with some rice.

My office has two full size refrigerators so it's pretty easy to keep what I need here on a daily basis.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also have a long commute and get 2 - 3 hours of time with my kids at night. I started splitting my work outs between mornings and evenings. So, 2 - 3 times a week, I get up an hour early and get in a work out and then 2 nights a week, I go to the gym. Usually, my kids go to the gym as well to do their own thing. Then we usually stop at the park before leaving so we still get some time together.

It's all about balance. All mornings or all evenings doesn't work for me. I just kept tinkering until I found something that would fit.
  • BRANDY12291
    BRANDY12291 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. It is very hard and I will admit I am struggling to find time to balance everything. I had been trying to go to a gym right after work and taking my son with me and putting him in the child care center. But like you said, I was feeling really guilty about leaving my son in daycare all day while I'm at work and then putting him in the gym's child care center for an hour or hour and a half. That left me no time to really spend with him. I was coming home feeding him, bathing him, and putting him to bed. No quality time. I haven't been to the gym in a week because I have felt like I needed to spend time with my son.

I know for me working out on my lunch break is really hard too. Because there is only one place that I could even go walk/jog at around my work and it's 10 mins away. So by the time I spend 10 mins to get there and 10 mins to get back then I have 20 mins to get in a quick workout. Not too mention it's like 110 degrees outside so I need to at least be able to change clothes before working out. And walking around my work or on the street I work on is not a good idea. It's a very busy street in a not-so-great part of town.

I've considered trying to put a spin type bike on layaway from Sears. But to be honest I'm worried that it will be hard to stay motivated. I love the gym, but when I'm at home it's easy to find 10,000 other things that I "need" to do. I'm still struggling with how to figure this out. However, I must say I like what one other person said on here about working out while she puts a load of clothes on to wash. Accomplishing two things at once. Maybe that would motivate me to keep my laundry caught up better and workout. Also, I'm learning my workouts may not burn a lot of calories because I've just got to accept the fact that I may only have time for 20 mins some days. And I've got to teach myself that, that is okay. Something is better than nothing. It may take me a little longer to reach my goal, but that's a price I'm willing to pay if it means I am spending more quality time with my son.

I will be following along on this post too. Hopefully I will find some other great ideas. I know I'm not the first nor the last mom to deal with this issue.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise early in t he morning, but now that I have an almost 8 month old who is nursing, that has gotten much harder. I exercise at night, before my husband goes to work. Now that he's switched jobs, he has 2.5 hours at home versus the 1 hour he had before. So I get home, eat dinner, nurse the baby, and then exercise for half an hour.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with full custody of my 9 year old daughter. She does see her dad but only every other weekend so I have her all but 4 days a month for the most part.
    I am up at 5 just to get ready for work as we have to be out of the house by 6:15 so I can drop my daughter at daycare and get to work by 7 am. So exercising in the morning is out of the question.
    Weather permitting I do walk during my lunch break and then eat lunch at my desk after. I try to do this at least 2-3 times a week. I addition to this I take kickboxing twice a week on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings a the local martial arts studio. The instructor allow kids to come as long as the will sit quietly and not disrupt class. Since she's 9 she goes along and just sits and play her DS or sometimes she will even participate in class and the instructor doesn't mind.
    During the summer I also mow and weedeat my own yard (I have a fairly large yard with quite a bit of trimming to do). This is a good 2+ hour workout in itself at least once a week.
    In addition to this I take my daughter for walks or bike rides in the evenings during the summer also (weather and time permitting). Time is a precious commodity for any working parent but especially for a single parent when you have all the childcare, housework, yard work, shopping, etc. that would normally be at least partially shared with the other parent. This is why I find myself doing cleaning house and doing laundry at 10 or 11 at night when I should already be in bed since I have to be up at 5.
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    From when I wake up to when I go to bed (especially while at work!) I do 20 Squats every time I go to the restroom or wash my hands (while cooking at home, etc.) and when I brush my teeth. If you are staying hydrated enough- it's anywhere from 80-160 squats a day during time you are already allotting to other tasks. For example, when I go to the restroom, I do my squats while I'm lathering my hands to wash them. **When you are home, you swap out your squats for 20 jumping jacks, a 1 minute plank, 10 lunges, whatever you want. Just keep moving!! :)

I also started fitting in random workout videos in the mornings or while dinner is cooking once I get home. I just pop onto YouTube and I'm subscribed to 'BestFit' and there are 548 videos to choose from. You can also type in 'easy ab work out' or something similar and you'll find plenty of results. 5-20 minutes is usually all I get, so I just MOVE.

I also invested $35 into a stability ball, a resistance band w/ handles, a yoga mat and a set of 5lb hand weights. Made a huge difference. I don't even have a gym membership anymore. Never have the time to get there and I'm a single mom of two children & I work two jobs- I have a LOT to do and I also felt guilty about picking them up from school/day care and plopping them straight into the gym day care IF I could get there.

YOU CAN DO IT!! Also- feel free to add me :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Looking at this for ideas as my hours will be changing at work. I will be trying to exercise in mornings I think (me and kids will have to be ready and on road at 10:30 am). I won't be home till 8pm from work. By then if I start a workout then I won't be done ti 9 pm or so which takes me close to when kids go to bed:(
  • sockergurl04
    Options
    I've lost 53 pounds, and most of it has come off during my lunch break. I know that you will go back to work sweaty but who cares! Wipe it off and spray on some body spray! I do try to wake up and do the 30 day shred (sometimes), but I'm not too much of a morning person. Take your kids for walks, swims, chase them, ride bikes with them, shoot some hoops or kick some soccer with them, play volleyball with them, have dance parties with them (like the WII Dance stuff too). The more exercise you get in the more lively you will feel. Commit to make no excuses. I also suggest that you lift weights. Lean muscle will burn more calories when you are doing nothing, I've seen some great results from lifting as well, and yes my muscley arms are smaller than my fatty arms, lol. Good luck!!