How do you lower your stress?

Options
I am just wanting some ideas from those who have lost weight or are in the process of losing weight on how you relieve stress. Being someone who has always turned to food when stress gets high, I am trying to put a stop to that and think of other things. I tend to always be running around like a headless chicken with a young child, working crazy hours and being a student things get stressful!!!! I'd love to hear what you have to offer. Thanks

Replies

• ElegantElle
    ElegantElle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just at the start of my weight loss journey but I'm using walking in place of eating I have to elementary age kids and a husband who acts about the same age most days. The kids stress me out "Let's go for a walk" husband getting on my nerves "Be right back need a walk" I keep walking until either I come up with a solution or it gets to dark to see. Add me and check out my diary if you want (open to friends) you can burn alot of calories walking and its a valid stress relief technique. Walk it out sis!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just at the start of my weight loss journey but I'm using walking in place of eating I have to elementary age kids and a husband who acts about the same age most days. The kids stress me out "Let's go for a walk" husband getting on my nerves "Be right back need a walk" I keep walking until either I come up with a solution or it gets to dark to see. Add me and check out my diary if you want (open to friends) you can burn alot of calories walking and its a valid stress relief technique. Walk it out sis!

I was going to say exercise also ;)!
  • Determination29
    Options
    Oh man! I need to go for a run if walking does the trick!! Thanks for your advice!!! I will send you a request :)
  • Determination29
    Options

I was going to say exercise also ;)!

I'm not big on exercising but I hear that it calms one down after a good workout. I would love to get a gym membership; i just need to find a place with flexible hours and accompanies people with children.
  • anupama1234
    Options
    eat in limit ,exercise especially runing, dumbell lifting , walking worked for me..all 6 days of workout...lost 13 kg:smile::drinker:
  • Determination29
    Options
    eat in limit ,exercise especially runing, dumbell lifting , walking worked for me..all 6 days of workout...lost 13 kg:smile::drinker:

Thanks! Kudos to you!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I think ElegantElle recommendation of taking a walk is excellent. Maybe a conversation with your husband, "honey I need you to cover me on _______________. to help me with my weight loss efforts/fitness efforts" as far as tending to the day to day stuff. Since the bulk of that will still be on you, a book like "the Five Minute Manager," to help you with time organization to help minimize the chicken wtih your head cut off feeling. There are alot of benefits to setting aside time (10 min intervals) to quiet and refresh your mind. If you stress eat, you may want to focus on your "triggers" and what your "trigger" foods are.

I hope everything works out for you!
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yoga really helps. Mind, body and silence : )
  • Mom2Lizzy
    Options
    Swimming, yoga, Pilates,naps, and hot baths are the best stress busters for me. My kids will swim, do yoga & Pilates with me. Going for bikes rides and exercise in general can relieve stress. You can exercise with your little ones and it will help them too. It helps you sleep better at night and burns calories. Can't get much better than that.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My stress levels went out of the roof so high it has been. What helped me a lot was a walk in the evening, in the afternoon laying down for an hour and listen to self hypnosis tracks and yoga + chamomille tea, lavender tea, hibiscus tea.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on exercising but I hear that it calms one down after a good workout. I would love to get a gym membership; i just need to find a place with flexible hours and accompanies people with children.
    If you are not a big fan of exercising then I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money of a gym membership, Gym work is usually a lonely endeavor, and even when you're with friends it needs a lot of motivation. I think if you are not into sports much it would be a good idea to try team-based sports- not football or rugby necessarily but what about a running club, badminton, table tennis, rowing etc.
    The benefit of being a student is that unis usually have all kinds of sports to try out. If you like socializing then the team atmosphere might help you get into the habit of actually liking exercise.

That said, most people I know that hate exercise usually have been put off by school sports. Just find something you like first.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I exercise pretty intensely in the morning (or my version of the mornings since I'm up all night) and then do a stretching yoga and meditation before bed. I also find that video games where I get to punch things and a pillow on my wall to actually punch gives me a great outlet for my anger. I've also just become more zen since I started better myself through diet and exercise. It's almost like I was always anxious about starting that journey, but now that it's happening, the pressure is off. It'll be different for everyone though. One of the most calming things that I do is putting my lotion on. My husband makes the Silence of the Lamb jokes, of course. But there's something that's just so relaxing about putting my lotion on. Maybe it's the fragrance or the massaging, but for me, that's a small pleasure that helps me to relax at the beginning and end of the day.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    By sleeping & doing cardio
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Extreme Stress=P90X Yoga!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Prayer or meditation help. Walking helps. Even just a few minutes of silence to listen to your own breathing can help.

And for me, NOTHING beats a good Vitamin B Complex. A good vitamin B complex may work wonders for you. B vitamins help a lot with your stress response (not just emotional stress, but also metabolic and physiological stress, like dieting or not getting enough sleep or whatever).

Many many people are deficient in Vitamin B... but signs of severe deficiency include: losing more hair in the shower than you think is normal, and racing thoughts at bedtime (like when you're trying to sleep but can't get your brain to relax and slow down. )

Vitamin Bs are hard to absorb, so they pack tons more into a tablet or capsule trusting that you'll get as much as your body needs. The undigested/unabsorbed Vitamin B turns your pee fluorescent yellow. But no need to worry, there's no level of toxicity or anything.

These analogies will sound bizarre, but it's the best way I can explain it. Before vitamin B...the stresses were like a flock of birds invading my space and my thoughts and pecking away at me every single minute. After Vitamin B...i still had all the same problems, but they were at arms length, sitting on a shelf, and I was in control of which one to handle when. When I started Vitamin B, I literally felt the weight of stress off my shoulders within just a few hours...stress I didn't even know was there.

Hope some of this info helps! I'm a huge fan of Vitamin B, and always take a good quality B complex on days when I don't get enough sleep or if work is particularly stressful.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    *kitten*
  • TiredOfMyself
    TiredOfMyself Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed, I do the opposite of most people on here.. I just sit around and ruminate.. I take a breather.. watch TV, sleep, then I get right back up and continue.
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Between my CrossFit workouts (that pretty much equate to a rage session) and Yoga, I keep my stress level pretty low. Also, from time to time, I find comfort in a glass of 12-20y/o scotch.

This message has been approved by JeffersJJ
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    What was told to me is when your stresslevels are too high for too long and you might be dealing with adrenal fatigue the highest priority is to get plenty of rest, not to exercise excessively, that could increase the stresslevels even more, because of the release of cortisol?
  • anupama1234
    Options
    yeah all d very best