Week one and no weight loss

Options
Stayed under 1900 calories all week and zero weight loss. Any of you had none or even gained the first week?

Replies

• _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    Took like the 3rd week for me to lose anything.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think this is normal...I didn't weigh myself for like 3 weeks at first just because I didn't want to get discourage so I can't speak for myself, but I think it's totally normal. Your body is probably like "what's going on!!!??" keep at it!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, what food was it that you entered under "quick tools"? Are you sure that was an accurate calorie amount?
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    You are still early in the process. It took about 3 weeks for me to see any changes on the scale. Stay encouraged and keep up the good work!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Did you have your first weigh in this morning? You had quite a high sodium day yesterday which can temporarily disguise weight loss. With any new routine, you need to stick at it for a least a month before you look at changing anything. My weekly weigh ins go up and down, but when I look at my monthly progress it's quite steady.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Completely normal! Try not to focus too much on the number on the scales, leave it a couple of weeks and weigh yourself again! I, sure you will soon see the results you're after
  • mikeymoney
    Options
    Did you have your first weigh in this morning? You had quite a high sodium day yesterday which can temporarily disguise weight loss. With any new routine, you need to stick at it for a least a month before you look at changing anything. My weekly weigh ins go up and down, but when I look at my monthly progress it's quite steady.

I had a bad day saturday and dlipped off the wagon went out and drank a bit. Will make up for it this week,
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    All wrong so far, you should be seeing weight loss in the first day or two really, unless you had a nice diet to begin with. But here's a few observations.

1. You're not at a calorie deficit. If you were you'd be losing fat. So either a) your maintenance calories are wrong or b) your food input is wrong.
    2. You macro splits are all wrong. Way too many carbs and not enough protein. Forget measuring sodium and sugar. Get a more reasonable split on the protein etc. For me I like to think a split of 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat is a good starting point.

My advice, switch your splits manually (the MFP split is stupid) and reduce your calories to 1,800 and see what happens.

EDIT>>>Also, are you double counting your exercise and daily energy expenditure? For you my guess is 1900 cals would be 'about' the right daily intake for maintenance. This would include exercise. So if you are eating 1,900 cals you can't then add another 500 for doing some exercise. You need to be careful to figure out exactly what your TDEE is and not double count activity.

PS Stay off the booze for a bit. You'll have more progress and less bad days. Just a month, see what happens.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    All wrong so far, you should be seeing weight loss in the first day or two really, unless you had a nice diet to begin with. But here's a few observations.

1. You're not at a calorie deficit. If you were you'd be losing fat. So either a) your maintenance calories are wrong or b) your food input is wrong.
    2. You macro splits are all wrong. Way too many carbs and not enough protein. Forget measuring sodium and sugar. Get a more reasonable split on the protein etc. For me I like to think a split of 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat is a good starting point.

My advice, switch your splits manually (the MFP split is stupid) and reduce your calories to 1,800 and see what happens.

Actually......no. You are not going to see weight loss the first day or two.

1900 is pretty low for a guy. What is your height, weight and how often do you exercise? It might be the right goal for you to net. There's no way possible that 1900 is maintenance for you. I'm a 120 pound woman and 1900 is maintenance for me. 1900 is clearly a deficit.

Have you calculated your TDEE?

Have you given it a month? Water weight fluctuates, you could be all over the board for a while. Give it time.

The only thing I agree with, sort of, in this post is the macros thing. 40/30/30 may not be right for you, but you do need to figure out your protein goals in grams, your fat goals in grams, and the rest carbs. 40/30/30 is a decent guideline, but it isn't a magic number. You should aim for 1 gram per pound of lean body mass or even 1 gram per pound of weight as your protein minimums. I don't know if that would be 30 percent of your calories because I don't know your weight or body fat percent.

So long story short, you need to give it time.
  • __Di__
    Options
    OP so what were the quick add calories, only if they are not accurate they may have pushed you way over your amount.
  • mikeymoney
    Options
    I used to weight train a lot. I think my metabolism has really slowed down. Cardio does not seem to take the weight off for me as well as hitting the weights. I am 5'11 217 and 36 inch waist. I still have good amount of muscle just not cut anymore. I am exercising 3-4 times a week now. I think I will re new my gym membership and hit weights.
  • mikeymoney
    Options
    OP so what were the quick add calories, only if they are not accurate they may have pushed you way over your amount.

I added everything I ate to a tee last week.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The one thing no one really talks about with weight loss is that it takes patience. You see all these commercials and weight loss transformation shows where people lose tons of weight in no time but that's just not the reality for most of us.

Wth the amount of weight you have to lose, 1/2 pound per week is normal/healthy. Considering you were a little off the diet the last couple days (drinking Saturday, high sodium yesterday) you may be masking the loss with some water retention. Keep up the good work and get your water in the next couple of days and you'll probably see a loss.

If you tend to do a lot of socializing on the weekend, you may want to change your weigh in days to later in the week to give your body a couple of days to recover so it's more of a true measurement. Although on the other hand, sometimes having a Monday weigh in can keep you from indulging so it's up to you...
  • Cclye
    Cclye Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I jst started tracking my weight on the MFP, this is my day 2, and I still weigh same.
    But, am looking forward to lose the kilos
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

EDIT>>>Also, are you double counting your exercise and daily energy expenditure? For you my guess is 1900 cals would be 'about' the right daily intake for maintenance. This would include exercise. So if you are eating 1,900 cals you can't then add another 500 for doing some exercise. You need to be careful to figure out exactly what your TDEE is and not double count activity.

PS Stay off the booze for a bit. You'll have more progress and less bad days. Just a month, see what happens.

I raise the BS flag.

The weight didn't go on over night- and it's not going to go off over night.

and eating at a deficit does not mean fat loss. It means WEIGHT loss. he could very well lose muscle AND fat at the same time.

yes- ideally it would all be fat- but it isn't a sure fire thing.

I've been eating at a deficit for months and have been cutting slowly- very very slowly If it happened in a week- bodybuilders wouldn't do this **** for months on end to prepare for shows.

Although I tend to agree MFP splits are lame- and MOAR PROTEIN. (I'm on a 40/40/20 split- so carbs seriously aren't my thing) LOL

Give it time- one week just isn't much time at all.

Patience is absolutely the biggest ingredient to weight loss that people seem to forget.
  • __Di__
    Options

I added everything I ate to a tee last week.

Why are they as quick add calories? If you were accurate in your adding them up, why did you not put them in as each food instead of quick add?

I have a suspicion, this is where your problem lies.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you work good enough, it'll take

4 weeks for you to see any improvement;
    8 weeks for your close friends and family to see any improvement;
    12 weeks for the world to see any improvement.

It's been a week. Chill, eat your protein and veggies and go for a run.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Patience :flowerforyou:
  • mjschumacher100
    Options

Actually......no. You are not going to see weight loss the first day or two.

1900 is pretty low for a guy. What is your height, weight and how often do you exercise? It might be the right goal for you to net. There's no way possible that 1900 is maintenance for you. I'm a 120 pound woman and 1900 is maintenance for me. 1900 is clearly a deficit.

Have you calculated your TDEE?

Have you given it a month? Water weight fluctuates, you could be all over the board for a while. Give it time.

The only thing I agree with, sort of, in this post is the macros thing. 40/30/30 may not be right for you, but you do need to figure out your protein goals in grams, your fat goals in grams, and the rest carbs. 40/30/30 is a decent guideline, but it isn't a magic number. You should aim for 1 gram per pound of lean body mass or even 1 gram per pound of weight as your protein minimums. I don't know if that would be 30 percent of your calories because I don't know your weight or body fat percent.

So long story short, you need to give it time.

I said "you should be seeing weight loss in the first day or two really, unless you had a nice diet to begin with". If you are overeating and then drop a reasonable amount of calories then you should see results in the first day or two, especially if cutting out processed foods. If your diet was only a few cals over then sure, you won't see anything dramatic but that's not what I said.

As for the 1900 cals, actually, I'm, 36 and 1900 is my calorie maintenance level, it's actually more like 1870 but 1900 is close enough. Everyone is different, some people can consume 4,000 cals a day and be lean, others can't. I have spent years calculating this for people and no person is the same and the range is huge from person to person. In any case, my point stands, if you are recording your calorie intake properly and not losing weight then either there's a medical issue or the TDEE calculation is wrong.

Re. the 40/30/30, I didn't say it was a magic number, I said it's a nice starting point.
  • mummygettingfit
    mummygettingfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a quick look at your diary. One thing I noticed was you don't log much water intake. Now for ME, if I don't drink a decent amount of water daily I seem to stall weight loss wise. I've been focusing on drinking at least 2 litres (8 glasses) of water a day - that's not including my cuppa tea and shakes with water added. That 2L is just good old plain water. For me it's helped a lot. I've lost 14kg in 3 months... BUT it may not help everyone! *just putting it out there*

Also give it a few weeks until you change something else drastic =D