Super Intense Chocolate/Decadent Cravings at Night

Options
So my diet is great, I am a devout juicer in the AM and lunch and have chicken and veggies for dinner every night. It's after dinner the chocolate craving hits me incredibly hard. I literally got out of bed on two separate occasions last night and drove to the gas station to get 4 bags in total of peanut butter M&Ms. I have figured out the rest of this thing but this evening chocolate addiction is killing me. And that's exactly what it is. I can't NOT go to the store. I have to have it. It's crazy. I bought 2 dark chocolate bars, gave one to my roomate to hold, snuck in to his room to retrieve it late in the evening. Is there a betty ford for chocolate?

Replies

• myfitspiration7
    Options
    Have you though about trying a chocolate protein shake in the evenings? I recommend Shakeology- the chocolate flavor is amazing! It will help with cravings!
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a Betty Ford for chocolate! However, there is a chocolate bar sweetened with stevia called Lily's. It won't give you the sugar jolt, but might help with the chocolate craving. Good luck!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    There are ways to get your chocolate fix without resorting to M&Ms!

Try some dark chocolate. There are a ton of recipes for lighter versions of decadent desserts. You can make a brownie in a mug (so only one serving).

Find ways to get your chocolate cravings taken care of within your diet - plan it into your day, so you know it is coming and when.
  • flynnem4
    flynnem4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat? You do need fat to function, especially in terms of vitamin absorption and healthy brain function. Your cravings may subside if you consume more healthy fats in your diet.

You can also dim a chocolate craving by supplementing with selenium, but only if it fits in with your overall vitamin/mineral intake (i.e. know what you're already consuming and only supplement if you're deficient).
  • danibodani
    Options
    Have you though about trying a chocolate protein shake in the evenings? I recommend Shakeology- the chocolate flavor is amazing! It will help with cravings!

I am with this lady. I do a half serving of the Vegan chocolate shake if I get a craving. Or i Have little baggies of 3 squares/bag of dark burnt almond chocolate. Each bag, 80cals
  • dreamingdaughter
    dreamingdaughter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well... this is definitely my post! I have the same problem :( thought I would bump up the post, let me know if you figure it out :( I do exactly the same...
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    there is now a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use it myself. Fiber One 80 calorie CHOCOLATE cereal !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can have 3/4 cup for the 80 calories. I baggy mine up so that I have a quick snack when I need it. Fiber One also makes 90 calorie brownies as well.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat? You do need fat to function, especially in terms of vitamin absorption and healthy brain function. Your cravings may subside if you consume more healthy fats in your diet.

You can also dim a chocolate craving by supplementing with selenium, but only if it fits in with your overall vitamin/mineral intake (i.e. know what you're already consuming and only supplement if you're deficient).
    Gonna have to second the idea that you may not be eating enough fat. Low fat diets can make you hungry and cause cravings. Aim for at least .35g fat per pound of body weight.

Also, go for a super dark chocolate. If you can handle it, try an 80 or 90%. I like to get those endangered species dark chocolate bars which are 72% but that's dark enough for me. They have 15 blocks total and I eat three blocks every night. A bar lasts me a whole five days. I like to mix up which flavors I get but my favorite is probably the blueberry. I'm two days into the espresso one and it's also very good. It reminds me of mocha brownies. I just shave off little bits with my teeth and let it melt in my mouth lol.
  • FoodLoverDeb05
    Options
    Where is the fat in your diet? Maybe that is why by the end of the day your body is craving chocolate. Maybe change one of your juice drinks to "Chocolate" shakeology, or slim fast nutrition drink.
  • jpascone
    jpascone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This intense chocolate has gone on forever, even when I ate a lot of fat. I could have a Marie calenders pot pie (my favorite), a small pepperoni pizza, go to bed and still crave chocolate.
    I tried the few squares of dark chocolate but found myself waking up in the middle of the nigh eating whatever was remaining. Literally, waking up with my hand in the jar. I woke up again last night at 2 AM and drove to the liquor store, 3 more bags of peanut butter M&Ms and that was after 2 dark chocolate bars.
    I will pick up some slim fast chocolate tonight at the CVS on the way home. I have knocked back 15 pounds in 2 months but have plateaued once this chocolate problem kicked in.
    Any other suggestions would be great.
    Signed,
    The Chocolate Abuser
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have the same issue as you, I crave chocolate every single evening. What I've done to curb the craving is to replace the chocolate with something else I enjoy. Knowing the craving will come, I've started making myself a cup of hot tea instead, without sugar. It takes time to brew and sip it down and I really enjoy the process. If I HAVE to have some chocolate I've bought these chocolate covered pretzels in 100 calorie bags and I allow myself just one bag, nighttime only. I don't have any weight to loose, just maintaining and it's really helped so far! HTH
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    try taking a magnesium supplement.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You might have either low serotonin or low magnesium. Or, you may have just formed a habit before you go to sleep. It won't hurt you any as long as you leave room for it in your Cals.

Personally, when I want chocolate, the most satisfying to me is a dark chocolate ganache w/ some espresso added. It's easy to make, just melted chocolate + cream + espresso. The ganache is super rich, super creamy, and super chocolatey. I find I can eat fewer calories of the ganache and be satisfied than of a dark chocolate bar.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I use chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com). I get the triple chocolate fudge protein bars - they're about 100 calories, gluten-free/sugar-free, they have about 9 grams protein and 10 grams fiber.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was the same way with ice cream. I used to get up in the middle of the night, and get into the freezer. I probably gained 10 pounds from that "lovely" habit. This occurred prior to mfp and before I saw the light.
    I recommend getting packets of cocoa and making some hot chocolate with it. You will get the comfort that you need from the chocolate (obvious comfort food) but the heat from the cocoa will slow you down.
    The ice cream? I went cold turkey for a while to get it out of my system. Now I measure out vanilla frozen yogurt ( 1 serving) and place it on sliced frozen bananas. Sometimes I place whipped topping or crown it with a few raw walnuts. Totally decadent. And I am satisfied.
    Good luck. I know that you can figure it out.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I get my fix by having a chocolate malt flavored protein shake with half a frozen banana in it for an ice-cream-like texture.

I also love PB2 powdered peanut butter. They have it in chocolate peanut flavor and it tastes just like Reese Cups, but is only 45 cals for 2T. You just mix it with water.

Malt PP- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYJ02A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    PB2- http://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-Bundle/dp/B00ABKWSTA/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1375806172&sr=1-2&keywords=powdered+peanut+butter
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you can, but i think my advice would be to stop cold turkey. for me, when i give in to a craving like that i do it with my body and soul. :) if i can stop the cycle, though, i can generally resist the urge. the first few days will be terrible, painful, awful things...but then you'll eventually get better. it's like when i quit smoking...it sucked, but i'm okay now. HOWEVER, i know if i picked up a cig right now i'd instantly be back at a two pack a day habit. all or nothing, baby...all or nothing.

all that being said, a great substitute for chocolate for me are dates. (food dates, not dating. lol) it's the rich, sweet, mellowness of a date that seems to resonate on a chocolate vibe for me.