Can anyone honestly tell me about P90?

Options
I have read reviews after reviews...probably 30 and about 28 of them are all positive and say it really works. I'm seriously thinking about ordering the P90, but just want to make sure it's for real. I tried a Couch to 5K program last fall, but had to quit midway through due to an ankle stress fracture. I'm about 40-45 pounds overweight, and it's all in my upper body...from hips up. So my little legs and ankles obviously couldn't support all that pounding the pavement. I was out about six months from doing anything. I started walking again in mid April and would eventually like to try running again, BUT I feel I need to lose at least 25 pounds before attempting running again. I'm afraid of more injuries or another stress fracture. And from everything I've read this P90 is the perfect program for me. Is anyone here doing it or have done it? What did you think? And how closely did you follow both the exercise and meal plan?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    stop thinking about it and just order it. you need to do something and while P90 or it's sequels wouldn't be my first choice, they are far better than doing nothing and many people have had some form of success with them. if you've already read positive review after review, effect will getting another half dozen opinions have? You already know you want it so close this window, open up the beachbody site and order it up.

Stop stalling and just go work out.

pro tip: don't waste any money on shakeology tho
  • daytonafitmom
    daytonafitmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at Power90? Or P90x? Cause they are 2 different workout, and for different levels. I would suggest Power 90 for the goals you are looking to reach, and, from coming off an injury. I did P90x back in 2009, then, had a baby in 2011, and did P90x/Insanity to help me lose weight and get back in to shape after baby (had my baby at age 38.5), so had to work at getting back in shape. Since then, I have tried some of their other programs (P90x/Insanity are the most popular to the public, only because they are numerous infomercials on all the time about those 2), But, there are many other programs available to help you meet your goals too. finding one that you will "like" to do, will help you stick to your workout, and reach your goals. There are kickboxing types, MMA style ones, other weight training ones (like p90x), that I liked much better, some that are 6 days a week, some 5, some that require equipment, or bands, some that require nothing....so...I would be happy to talk to you about what you like, how much time per week (and how much timer per DAY) you have available to invest in working out...and come up with something you will enjoy doing while reaching your goals.

I am a team beachbody coach, but I only became one after I had my baby, to help other new moms get back in shape too, and needed support from someone:)

I am not trying to "sell" you anything...I just want to help you make the right decision/choice on a program you will like to do:)

You can private message me, or, my email is daytonafitmom@gmail.com and I can even email you some preview links to see a minute or so of a few diff workouts:)

Have a great weekend!
    Michelle :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No....but I can lie to you about just about anything. Hit me up on PM's if you wanna hear some of my doozy's.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I am not a Beachbody coach, but I have completed P90X. The best thing about it is that there doesn't have to be high-impact cardio involved...you can just sub out a different cardio DVD (Cardio X) for the Plyo X DVD (which is pretty hard on the joints...but you can opt to keep that low-impact as well.) Yoga X is intimidating for anyone that has never done yoga before (like me when I started P90X).

As far as following the program and how successful it was, I did follow the program P90X Lean for the entire 13 weeks in 2012 and lost 18 pounds in that time. I followed the nutrition plan guidelines about 80% of the time and still had excellent results. I don't have before/after photos, unfortunately, but if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I am not a Beachbody coach, but I have completed P90X. The best thing about it is that there doesn't have to be high-impact cardio involved...you can just sub out a different cardio DVD (Cardio X) for the Plyo X DVD (which is pretty hard on the joints...but you can opt to keep that low-impact as well.) Yoga X is intimidating for anyone that has never done yoga before (like me when I started P90X).

As far as following the program and how successful it was, I did follow the program P90X Lean for the entire 13 weeks in 2012 and lost 18 pounds in that time. I followed the nutrition plan guidelines about 80% of the time and still had excellent results. I don't have before/after photos, unfortunately, but if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

^she's lying. she does have before/after pics. and they are AWESOME
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Find something that you will stick with and go for it! P90X is pretty hard, but if it interests you and will keep you motivated, then do it. Any tape can be modified. Perhaps you'll start by only doing half that day's workout or every other rep. If you're actually doing it and not sitting on the couch then you will see improvement. One thing I'll point out is P90x is not music-y or like a dance/aerobics workout. It is a pretty dry bones, keep moving workout. If you like music or a more aerobic workout, look up the Turbo Jam series (also by Beachbody). I have used them for years and they are fun. They can also easily be modified for varying fitness levels to include low impact to help your ankles. Whatever you choose, go easy at first to avoid injury and stick with it!
  • Dinerarose
    Options
    Like daytonafitmom asked, which one are you talking about p90x or power 90, two different workouts and I happen to have both as the work I do doesn't allow me time to commute to the gym and back home, in that space of time I could do 2 at home workout videos, so I do a lot of at home workout videos. So which one are you interested in? They are both great, one is lower intensity and more for someone who is new to working out and is not ready for lots of plyo and too much intensity and the other is higher intensity and have different variety of workouts and weightlifting involved and also can be used by a beginner who is ready to really push themselves. Tell me which one and I can give you more info :) Or tell me what you are looking for in a workout(Do you want something that incorporates weightlifting with cardio or have dancing and high energy music etc) and I can make suggestions, as like I said I am an at home workout video queen, I have tons of workout videos and no I am not a coach for nor do I work for any fitness company.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm thinking of doing the Power 90. The only exercise I get right now is walking 4-5 days a week, nothing to major. On top of those 4 days I also do one or two longer walks in addition. That's the extent of my exercise. I've read mostly great reviews and it sounds like something I can do. I don't care much for aerobics or dancing type programs, and not really in shape to do any high impact, and I'm no spring chicken anymore, I'm 48. So P90 sounds like a great place to start. Also, I have a friend who has been doing it about two weeks now and has already lost 10 pounds, so it sounds promising. I really appreciate everyone's advice!!!
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I really can't endorse P90 enough. For the P90X dropout (me - I could barely do half of each workout) Power 90 was "the answer."

It's pretty simple, but you probably got that from the reviews - you alternate strength and cardio days, and then when you feel ready you increase the intensity.

It'll work you. You'll get tired. You'll want to quit. But the workouts are short, and you CAN push through them.

The only downside I have about the program is that doing the same two workouts over and over? I got extremely bored. I gave up after 30-40 days. But in those days? I saw results. I felt the changes. I got stronger. I got better.

Now I'm a P90X graduate, Turbofire graduate, and am doing Shaun T's new program, Focus T25.

P90 is a great way to kickstart your fitness and get into the habit of working out.
  • Dinerarose
    Options
    If you don't like too much high impact, you can also look into the Slim in 6 series, by the same beachbody company. Power 90 does have a bit of jumping in it, not much, like jumping jacks etc, but you can modify them. There are no jumping etc in slim in 6, but a lot of lower body workout which targets major muscle groups in your legs etc, which helps you to burn more calories and lose weight faster, also check that out, you can check on youtube and type the names of the exercises and you will see clips of the workouts to give you a better understanding of whats done in them.
  • Dinerarose
    Options
    Suppakana, I just got the new Focus T-25 but I haven't started it yet, I have reviewed some of the videos, looks interesting, How do you like it so far? Are you still in Alpha phase? Are the workouts challenging enough, being as you are a p90x grad? I couldn't get into p90x got a bit boring, I suffer from exercise A.D.D. I am however a Les Mills Pump grad, so hoping this will be a little challenging.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Hmmm the Slim in 6 sounds doable too and it's less expensive. Two payments of $19.95 as opposed to 3 payments for P90 Decisions, decisions. lol I don't mind jumping jacks and kinda like the idea of 90 days as opposed to just 6 weeks. I just hope I won't get too bored, but sounds like I could get bored with either one.
  • Dinerarose
    Options
    You can always do it longer than 6 wks, same goes for power 90 if after 90 days you still need to lose you can continue or you can move on to something else. I will be honest with you, yes you can and will get bored with both slim in 6 and power 90 as they are not the most upbeat workout videos, but they get the job done(Weightloss) if you are committed. However if you are like me that gets bored and there is no way you can endure after a while no matter how committed you are, then I suggest you look into something else. What I do and this is just me in order not to get bored I have different workout videos that I do and alternate when I get bored with one or the other, but that's just me, not saying you should do the same as some people aren't as crazy as me to want to spend lots of money on workout videos(still cheaper than a gym membership tho, just saying).
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Thanks! After reading many opinions and reviews on both Slim in 6 and Power 90, it sounds like Power 90 will be best for me.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can go on youtube, look at the befit channel and try different workouts for free.
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD0nBMLdq_KbIK9u-mzpNkA

They have from Leslie Sansome walking,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY
    to JM 30 days shred, to yoga, anything you want. Or try fitnessblender.com
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Power 90, since it has excellent reviews. I've also heard personal success stories and praise, so think it's worth giving a shot.
  • Shanahoo
    Shanahoo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here doing it or have done it? What did you think? And how closely did you follow both the exercise and meal plan?

I am on Day 22 of Power 90 (full disclosure: this is probably the 4th time I've started Power90, I always let other things get in the way, but I am 2 workouts from sticking with it longer than I have ever before). I've followed the workout schedule pretty closely but I had to break for 7 days after the second week to deal with a family emergency. I don't pay attention to the accompanying meal plan. I'm not currently using any of the Beachbody supplements either, although I have used the Slimming formula in the past and thought it was ok.

I have seen a huge improvement in my strength and endurance already. I've lost about 5 lbs, I haven't officially taken my measurements but I can see that I have lost inches.

From what I have read, and from what I have experienced myself from other times I've started this program, you don't lose a lot of weight in the first 30-45 day, but you build a lot of muscle, and then start dropping pounds in the 2nd half of the program.

I started this program again after dealing with tibial stress fractures early this year. The only part that gives me trouble is the 3 minutes of "high heat cardio" (jumping jacks, running in place, run-lunge), the rest is pretty easy on your lower body. Over all, I recommend this program so far.

A few gripes though:
    1. Tony doesn't give a whole lot of guidance on proper form during the Sculpt 1-2 video, so if you've NEVER worked with weights before that could be an issue.
    2. I feel like he doesn't pay enough attention to my problem areas as a woman, so I usually do supplemental squats, lunges, and deadlifts on Sculpt days. I am normally a HUGE Jillian Michael's fan, but I wanted a program that was more "guy friendly" beginners plan that my fiance and I could do together. I think that is exactly what I got.
    3. I also feel like he half-*kitten* through the warm-up and cool-down/stretching, so I add in some extras there, too.

And a tip that really helps me get through the workouts: Do them with the music off and play your own music, it makes it go by so much faster.

If you decide to do it, good luck!
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Thanks! I ordered it day before yesterday, it said I should have it by next Tuesday. Doing it 6 days a week is going to be the big challenge for me. I deal with extreme fatigue, the docs think i could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as I've tried everything and they've tested me for everything. So the 6 days is definitely going to be a challenge as well as sticking to it long term. But I'm gonna give it my best shot. I've heard that the music in the dvd is crappy. lol So yep, I may use my own music. My friend and coach is on day 21 of Power 90 and he's lost 15 pounds! I'm hoping to lose at least 10 pounds the first 30 days. Then 15 in the second round and 15 in the third, for a total weight loss of 40 pounds. That's my ultimate goal. My first goal is to lose 20 -25 pounds. Once upon a time when I was about 35 I was in excellent shape, worked out 4-6 days a week and weighted about 128. I was also studying to be a personal trainer, so the I know all about how to lift weights correctly, so I should be fine there. I'm like you, I believe in a good warm up and cool down session. I think it's important. I plan to maybe somewhat follow the meal plan, but certainly not to a T. I'm going to continue to eat below my daily calorie limit of 1480 and continue logging it here. I am not the perfect most healthy eater, but I strive to eat decent most of the time. I have good days and bad days. Thanks for wishing me luck! I'm going to need it! lol I'm nervous about it, but excited too. I'd like to keep up with your progress with the Power 90 too, so I sent you a friend request. ;-)