I feel my 1st post is in the right forum

Options
I started using MFP at the beginning of March this year, I'd downloaded a couple of apps for the iPhone and found MFP to be the one that I prefered so I started my diet!
I only found the website some time after so never got round to posting but did read a few of the comments over the last 6 months.

I guess a quick bit of background, although I'd thought it for a while I and knew I was fat I finally decided that the fact I was feeling terrible all the time, felt out of breath when I climbed staircases that I needed to do something about it.

I happened to have my job medical history (I need a medical every few years for my job) and since joining my current employer I had put on around 30kg since I started, and I wasn't that light to begin with.

Using MFP I put in my daily intake that I was eating at the time and I did frighten me a bit. An Adults recommened intake is around 2400calories and I was eating around 4000 calories, and a huge amount of sugary drinks.

Overnight I made the decision to start the diet, stopped all the fizzy drinks (6 cans of Coke or Pepsi a day), stop the chocolate (at least 2 or 2 bars a day), no more crisps (at least 2 packs per day) and reduce the amount of normal food I was eating and began choosing what I was eating more closely. (Instead of just picking up whatever I wanted in the supermarket I actually read the label).
I also dug out my old mountain Bike that I bought back in 1999 and used for about 18 months, probably the last time I actually felt reasonably fit.

So where did I start, well I weighed in at 135kg/ 21st 4lb/ 298lbs, I am tall, but even so I was massivly over weight.

I originally set my target as 94kg/ 14 st 11lbs/ 207lbs. It was a huge difference and just got me into the 'Healthy' Zone on the BMI chart, somewhere I probably haven't been for close to 15 years.

I was actually very surprised how easy I found it to cut out the bad food & drink.

The exercise wasn't so easy, but now it's a lot easier and I'm enjoying the cycling, just a shame it's getting to winter time so evening cycling is getting more difficult, but joined a gym for the 1st time ever recently.

So where have I got to after 6 months, well I've met and exceeted my target, only just so far but have decided to adjust my target to a lower weight.

I'm currently at 93.5kg/ 14 st 10lbs/ 206lbs and feeling great, can't remember when I was this light and felt so good.

My new target is to get under 14 st, get under 200lbs and under 89kg.

The downside was getting carried away when I bought a new mountain bike, wow they get expensive, and the fact I've had to ditch most of my wardrobe, the upside being I have a much bigger selection of clothes available.

Sorry, no before and after pics I'm afraid as I hated getting my picture taken but with hindsight should have got one taken for reference.

Replies

• Maggie1960
    Options
    WOW!!!! I am so proud of you for such a fantstic achievement, well done. You are a great inspiration, thanks for posting.:flowerforyou:
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Reading stories like this is why MyFitnessPal is so special well done on relising you had a problem and getting up and doing something about it! You should be proud of yourself!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Good for you! and my motivation was the staircase too, funny how that is :happy: and Goodluck with the Gym too! It's great to read these successes so Thank you for sharing it with us.
  • LizzyJay
    LizzyJay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well Done! That is an inspiration as I have just joined this week, so shame on me if I don't keep it up. Even in the short time I've been on, I've been amazed when tracking food intake how the calories can add up and this site and mobile App really helps keep under control and stops those "just one more, it won't matter..." moments! Thanks for your story.:flowerforyou:
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post :)

I have been stalled in my weight loss lately, only because of my slackiness and nothing else. And I am trying to get back on the wagon. You helped me get my spark back :) Thanks so much :)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Well now that you're aiming for an even lower weight don't wait any longer and take a couple of body shot photos! :D You'll be amazed when you look back and see the difference.
  • GrayJohn
    Options
    Fantastic - well done!!!

You keep it going and you will get where you want to

735976.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kimberley24
    Options
    Congratulations, your obviously doing a great job. You should be very proud of yourself.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    great story! ( i had to quit coke and chocolate too! it was the best decision of my life!!)

well done on your success so far!
  • andermt
    andermt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the comments, still got people at work walking up and commenting on the weight loss (2 more today).

So far only had one blip on the loss, but I expected that one, went on Holiday to Germany a few weeks back and the prospect of too much good food and even better beer :laugh: always meant I was not going to keep to the diet so decided to ignore it for the week, still went out on the mountain bike and lots of walking so actually only put on about 1 lb.

Did some digging around online as I knew there must be some old pics of me somewhere and found one. The pic on the left was taken in 2007 and I put about 20 lbs on between then and when I started the diet. The pic on the right was taken 2 weeks ago.

76020568.jpg
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    big difference! your looking good! : )
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    awesome job, pat yourself on your back. Just curious, how tall are you , in inches?

You and I have lost the same amount, and in about the same time period, but just curious about your height and body frame

take care, and best of luck......Lloyd
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thats close to 100 pounds lost. That's fantastic. I bet you can write volumes on how this has improved your life, health and outlook. What bag of chips is worth it. Well done, keep it up. Enjoy.
  • andermt
    andermt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lloyd, I'm 6' 4" so 76 inches.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    That's really an amazing change-- and you look about ten years younger too! Congratulations. :)
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful. Your thinner self looks like the son of your bigger self. Amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!