Running - give up, shape up or cut down?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I was a bit a latecomer to running. Having bunked off from cross-country at school as much as possible from the age of 15, I didn't run another step until I was about to turn 30.

15 years later, I've built up from running one minute at a time to a Marathon, a triathlon and adventure races. Just a couple of weeks ago I did my most enjoyable race ever, a five-miler through the London Olympic Park, and finishing in the stadium crossing the same line as Bolt, Farah and Ennis.

But... I'm falling apart. Whenever I train up to the next event, something goes twang. It may be my knee, hip, or more recently my back (through this may be related to the hip too). I even get an allergic reaction when I run fast, and a day-long running hangover if I overheat.

I've been doing running injury prevention exercises, which have helped a lot, but I still get sidelined after I push myself. Chi Running taught me how to land mid-foot, but I'm too slow for the rest of the technique to work - I just can't lean forward and have my legs lift up behind me until I'm sprinting!

I'm considering giving up running, or at least racing. I've always been super-slow anyway, and if I get slower and more hurty with age, I may fall foul of the sweepers.

Is it time to throw in my running shoes? Should I be shaking by booty to Zumba? Should I join the ladies who actually are the age I feel doing aqua yoga? Should l ditch the cardio altogether in favour of purely pumping iron?

Should I give Chi Running, or another method that teaches you how to run, another go? Should I make another push to get down to my target weight so I'm not hitting the ground with such force?

Would I go insane if I could never just drop everything and head out the door, pounding the pavement feeling like a cheetah but looking like one of those Disney ballet-dancing hippos? What would I do with my weekends? How would I get by on having so little food to eat?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you, I'm 28, got into running about 2 years ago and got quite good at it, and it was paramount to my initial weight loss. But the last year and a half I frequently get a new injury, either hip, ankle or foot and its so demoralising. I don't want to stop, I feel I need it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you've done triathlons and Adventure Races you have experience with other cardio disciplines than running. Why not cut back on the running and shift to something with lower impact?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the "too slow for chi running" comment. While yes the level of forward tilt dictates that teh more forward, the faster, there's nothing stopping you from having the ever so slightest lean and running as slow as you need to. I think often times the way chi running is described can't be taken too literally. Reaching your feet behind you is a way to describe things so that you don't over stride & heel strike.

But to answer your original question, it all depends on whether running is enjoyable for you. If yes despite all the injury and stress, then keep running. If not, then find another exercise you enjoy.
  • BerryH
    Options
    If you've done triathlons and Adventure Races you have experience with other cardio disciplines than running. Why not cut back on the running and shift to something with lower impact?
    I sold my bike as the roads are too dangerous where I live, but I do swim regularly, which I've been doing a lot with my recent back pain. Nothing's quite as distracting as pushing yourself and watching the seasons go by, so I might actually try and be social with classes and the like for a change :smile:
  • BerryH
    Options
    I don't really understand the "too slow for chi running" comment. While yes the level of forward tilt dictates that teh more forward, the faster, there's nothing stopping you from having the ever so slightest lean and running as slow as you need to. I think often times the way chi running is described can't be taken too literally. Reaching your feet behind you is a way to describe things so that you don't over stride & heel strike.

But to answer your original question, it all depends on whether running is enjoyable for you. If yes despite all the injury and stress, then keep running. If not, then find another exercise you enjoy.
    Maybe I need to re-read it and teach myself to run properly all over again. A recent race finish-line video showed that when I thought I was doing a gazelle-like sprint I was in fact waddling like a giant duck :ohwell:

Is it enjoyable? Like every runner I have good days, bad days, awesome days and oh god kill me now days. Not entering races would take the pressure off and reduce my overall running time, but sometimes that's all that keeps me out the door.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Of course, if I give up now, I'll never find out how Zombies, Run! 2 ends, and the undead will have won!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I wonder the same thing as well. Atleast until your injury gets better or goes away altogether
  • BerryH
    Options

I wonder the same thing as well. Atleast until your injury gets better or goes away altogether
    Oh and just to clarify my last triathlon was about 12 years ago and I've barely been on a bike since :blushing: Unlike running , I know I for sure I REALLY don't enjoy cycling! I do have a stationary bike at home, but it tweaks my back if I use it too often or for too long.I once fell off a badly-adjusted saddle and cracked my coccyx on the sofa arm :noway:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oops, double post!
  • sr_erick
    sr_erick Posts: 25
    Options
    I started running about eight years ago and love doing it, and it's a staple to my weight management. An injury has prevented me from running the last couple of weeks and it is making me feel terrible. I can feel it is getting better, and have been doing a lot of biking, walking to compensate, but really want to get back to running. As I approach my goal weight and want to start to build some muscle mass, I may cut back on my running to only a couple times a week, but it not something I want to give up.

I'd say, if you can just cut back and try avoid injury, do that, but don't give it up completely, especially if it gives you satisfaction.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So you're in your mid 40s now? Your body may well be trying to tell you something. I did a lot of running for weight loss at first and ran a batch of 10k and a handful of half marathons. But despite stretching and exercises, I kept running into trouble with my knees during race training so I made the decision to cut back.

I'll be 50 this year and decided to train for a Tough Mudder. 16k + with obstacles. I did upper body work 2days per week and one long run (7 - 10 miles). It took me that long to recover. Other days I did exercise DVDs like Insanity. It is starting good cardio training.

So maybe you need to run less. Fewer times per week? More recovery time? There's a lot of space on the continuum between hard core running and aquafit.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ok I have to jump in here.. I am 56 and "discovered" running a few years ago.... my doctor had kittens and fits about me running since I have a reallyyyyy bad knee they wanted to replace. But I had gained closed to fifty pounds doing their way so I decided to start doing half marathons...you are a runner you know the drills.. good shoes.. rest days and the like. I learned it all... what I finally learned is to train smart, not hard. Yes my knee hurts but like several people here I use running for stress management and weight control ( have lost 40 pounds) but I do a walk run, or powerwalking for my races and have never had an issue with the dreaded "sag wagon. If you love to run and do races.. cut down the number you do might help and train smart ( lower milage/walking/running) for the ones you do want to do.
    I am not out to "win races" just finish, preferably in an upright position LOL...reduce the pounding by changing your training.. I did it and now my knee replacement has been put on hold ( doctor cant believe it) because the exercise has helped. Hang in there, find what works for you so you can still compete at a comfortable level.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer, but having just done my first real run since my Harvel 5 at the beginning of June and thinking everything had healed up, got unknotted or whatever, my right hip flexor (makes a change from the left!!), left hip(? gave it a poke, it's right by the bone at the outside top of my left leg) and right ankle were beginning to ache then hurt after 3 or 4 miles. So, with nothing helfpul to say Berry, I will just sympathise and head off to do some more stretching and drink more water....and Google Chi running :drinker:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    maybe add in regular pilates to balance out your body and eventually avoid injuries. Should help with all sports really as well as being good in its own right.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I started running about eight years ago and love doing it, and it's a staple to my weight management. An injury has prevented me from running the last couple of weeks and it is making me feel terrible. I can feel it is getting better, and have been doing a lot of biking, walking to compensate, but really want to get back to running. As I approach my goal weight and want to start to build some muscle mass, I may cut back on my running to only a couple times a week, but it not something I want to give up.

I'd say, if you can just cut back and try avoid injury, do that, but don't give it up completely, especially if it gives you satisfaction.
    There really is nothing quite like running, is there? The more I read this thread the more I realise it's unlikely I'll give it up altogether.
  • BerryH
    Options
    So you're in your mid 40s now? Your body may well be trying to tell you something. I did a lot of running for weight loss at first and ran a batch of 10k and a handful of half marathons. But despite stretching and exercises, I kept running into trouble with my knees during race training so I made the decision to cut back.

I'll be 50 this year and decided to train for a Tough Mudder. 16k + with obstacles. I did upper body work 2days per week and one long run (7 - 10 miles). It took me that long to recover. Other days I did exercise DVDs like Insanity. It is starting good cardio training.

So maybe you need to run less. Fewer times per week? More recovery time? There's a lot of space on the continuum between hard core running and aquafit.
    It's doing well for you, you look incredibly young and fit! It's VERY reassuring to hear you can train for something as intense as TM with one long run a week. Like you, the long runs knock me out for days afterwards!
  • BerryH
    Options
    maybe add in regular pilates to balance out your body and eventually avoid injuries. Should help with all sports really as well as being good in its own right.
    I've just re-started doing Pilates, actually. I'm slightly worried I may have exacerbated my hip/lower back problem by pushing myself too far. Note to self, Pilates isn't competitive :blushing:
  • BerryH
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer, but having just done my first real run since my Harvel 5 at the beginning of June and thinking everything had healed up, got unknotted or whatever, my right hip flexor (makes a change from the left!!), left hip(? gave it a poke, it's right by the bone at the outside top of my left leg) and right ankle were beginning to ache then hurt after 3 or 4 miles. So, with nothing helfpul to say Berry, I will just sympathise and head off to do some more stretching and drink more water....and Google Chi running :drinker:
    Yes, I've so had that sharp outer hip twinge! I've been doing some recommended runners hip-specific exercise including "the clamshell" and I think I may have to man up and get a foam roller. Ouch!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I know you saw by my post that I'm asking myself this same question, Berry. For everyone else, I'm in my mid-40s and discovered running for the first time two years ago when I decided I needed to shed a few pounds. I'm slow and I run/walk intervals but I've done a dozen or so 5K races, a few 10K, a 15K and a half dozen half marathons since then. I've never really enjoyed running that much but I liked what it did for me and it gave me something in common with my sister who has been running full and half marathons for years. In other words, I was running mostly for the races and mostly because I was running them with my sister. However, she and I recently had a falling out which is part of the reason I'm considering a change. I know she and I will get over this but I think I need a change from running, for that reason as well as the fact that it's very difficult for me to run in the summer when the temps range from 80s for a low and 100s for a high every day. I need a change.

Luckily, I have no injuries that might hamper running and running never caused me any. However, that may be in part because I only run every other day, at most and I was very careful when I started increasing my distance. I'm considering joining the gym at work. It's $25 for the rest of the year so the price is extremely reasonable and they offer classes as well as a circuit area, treadmills, weights, etc. I put on muscle very easily. Perhaps it's time that I buy NROLFW and fulfill my destiny as a female bodybuilder.