Can I go over my carbs a little?

Options
I don't have many carbs left. Lots of calories and fat though. I ate healthy carbs today. So, will it hurt if I eat over my carb count but it remain healthy?

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I don't have many carbs left. Lots of calories and fat though. I ate healthy carbs today. So, will it hurt if I eat over my carb count but it remain healthy?
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    I depends on why you are trying to loose weight- if you are a diabetic- stick as close as you can- cheese works- no crackers though.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    No. Not in my opinion. I only focus on the calories as far as weight loss is concerned.
    Healthwise though, make sure a majority of the carbs are coming from whole grains and the fat is the good kinds.
    I tend to go over on protein myself, which keeps you feeling fuller longer.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    No, not diabetic. For some reason, my eating habits have to include carbs. Even before MFP. Some people have to have sweets/chocolate, etc....... I couldn't live without my chips and diet coke.
    I depends on why you are trying to loose weight- if you are a diabetic- stick as close as you can- cheese works- no crackers though.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    Yes, my carbs were whole wheat carbs...no junk carbs. I am soooooooooo dying for a bag of Lay's Potato Chips!
    No. Not in my opinion. I only focus on the calories as far as weight loss is concerned.
    Healthwise though, make sure a majority of the carbs are coming from whole grains and the fat is the good kinds.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Yes, my carbs were whole wheat carbs...no junk carbs. I am soooooooooo dying for a bag of Lay's Potato Chips!

Well then, if you have some extra calories to spare, why not have a little? Remember that this strategy is what keeps you sane and sticking to this way of life.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I consult monthly with a dietition and she tells me if you go over on ANYTHING that Carbs and Proteins are the best... because these give you fuel for workouts... body to work etc.

63578.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP about a week ago I found out I was going way over on my carbs which is why I wasn't losing anymore, my first day of MFP I logged 45 extra carbs, the next day it was 65...now if I get really uneven days with 120 cals left and 4 carbs or something like that i'll grab some fruit and perhaps a few nuts and call it even for the day, or if i'm left with only a few calories and i'm starving I go over in calories but my big problem areas are carbs and sugars so I try not to go over with those two!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I also try to stay pretty close to my carb range, but I like the carbs also. I find the best time to stock up on them if I really want to is if I am planning a big work out/jog in the morning. Other than that, No White at Night! But if I am running, Give me Pasta with stewed Tomatos. Filling and better than sauce!
    SM
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    so you mean the night before you stock up on carbs?
    I also try to stay pretty close to my carb range, but I like the carbs also. I find the best time to stock up on them if I really want to is if I am planning a big work out/jog in the morning. Other than that, No White at Night! But if I am running, Give me Pasta with stewed Tomatos. Filling and better than sauce!
    SM
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    Please remember that fruit has carbs! half of a banana is 15 carbs!
  • AbbyIsWangsterful
    AbbyIsWangsterful Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sure. Just try to exercise a little and work them all off. I wouldn't get in the habit of doing that every day though :) Good luck! :flowerforyou:

74156.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I realize fruit has carbs I didn't mean to insinuate that it didn't :) My point was though that if i'm going to go over on something i'd rather it be with something healthier rather than something processed :)
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I have found that the source of the carbs matters for me for weight loss. Processed carbs (bread, crackers, cookies) seem to slow down my weight loss but "natural" carbs like fruits (and some vegetables like potatoes and corn) seem to be okay. I think the processed foods come with more salt, too, so that is probably a factor as well.

Anyway, as a huge carb addict myself, I really like the MFP accountability b/c it makes me reign it in. I have to choose protein (which I now always exceed on my food diary!!!! But I figure protein is good b/c I also like to exercise and I think my body needs the protein!) like nuts and deli meats and yogurt so that I can hit the target calories but not exceed carbs. I've been doing this for 2 weeks with MFP and my carb cravings have definitely gone down . . .

Because I like to exercise, I think carbs are really important (glycogen = fuel for muscles). So, one thing to think about is increasing your carb "allowance" by increasing your exercise . . .

Hope that helps . . .
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some specific reason to limit carbs then don't worry about it. I took the carbs off my my diary and replaced it with fiber. I think that is a better indicator of whether I am eating healthy complex carbs. I consider my calorie and fat goals to be maximums and my protein and fiber goals to be minimums.