BFP is going haywire

Options
I feel like I finally have a handle on most of the things I need to be doing/watching with my diet. I have broken one plateau, am 3lbs away from my starving myself plateau. I am eating more than I have ever eaten, I'm not hungry all the time. I'm exercising. I'm losing pounds and inches.

I get the BMR and the TDEE, and eating my exercise...but I'm also trying to track body fat percentage. I have never exercised to lose, I did all but the last few pounds with diet...So I'm so close to my goal, but have very little tone. I know this is what I need to fix to look better in my clothing.

I'm okay with the idea that I might gain weight on this part of my journey since muscle weighs more than fat. Since this last restart, I have lost six pounds. I feel stronger. That's all great.

But my body fat percentage is still confusing to me.

I did my calculations on fat 2 fit, and used all 3 calculators because they have widely different numbers and "ideal weights". The last two weeks, I've been using the Covert Bailey to track my measurements. I started at 25% and went to 25.5 last week. This week, it says I'm at 22%. I have only lost a little more than a pound. That is impossible.

The other two calculators said I was around 24-26%. One says I am at 31.6 now, after losing a pound.

SO. My question is this - is it possible/normal to lose weight and inches and have your BFP go UP instead of down? I checked my numbers several times every time I have done this...I'm entering the correct numbers, but the percentage is going up.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Those calculators are wildly inaccurate. Just take a tape measure and make sure the things you want low (waist and hips) are going down and the things you want high (arms and legs) aren't going down.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    All the do-it-yourself methods are inaccurate. Just pick one and use it. The numbers won't be spot on but the difference between readings will be more accurate.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with them not being accurate. But they should be consistent within themselves. Meaning, if I'm losing fat, and gaining muscle, my BFP should be decreasing within a calculator. Mine is going UP not down..except the one, which was further down than it could possibly be.

I just wondered if that was normal.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yep. I wouldn't trust body fat measurements except for finding one of those places that do it in a water tank. Other than that a tape measure and calipers are probably the best way to go. And even with that no more than once a month which I know may drive you crazy :)
  • vicelike
    vicelike Posts: 22
    Options
    The short answer to your question is "yes".

I have been tracking mine using Hydrostatic Body Fat testing which is quite accurate.

In 2005, my weight was 217 and my body fat % was 20.
    Last month my weight was 209 and my body fat% was 26.9.

The explanation is simple. Over those eight years, my lean weight went from 173.6 to 153 while my weight from fat went up from 43.4 to 56.

My exercise changed from weight lifting to only cardio and I got older lol
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Jdiddy - yes. It will drive me crazy. : ) But I have to learn to live with crazy, I guess. I do the measurements...I think you're telling me to let it go. (Can you come pry my fingers away?) ; )

vicelike - That makes me feel a little better. I have toyed with getting one of the scales that measure all that for you - still not as accurate as the doctor, but better than the online calculators. I'm just still not sure I need one. I am a data junkie. I like looking at numbers and patterns.
  • Xineoph
    Xineoph Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One thing we have to accept is that no one method that's readily available is one hundred percent accurate. But consistently following one method over time can produce a useful data set. I have weighed myself every day on a Withings wifi scale since mid January and recorded weight and BF numbers.
    At the start BF was 19.3% while Lean Mass was 137.8 lb.
    This morning BF is 14.5% and Lean Mass 135.4 lb.
    For what that is worth. . .
    Personally I feel that I have the best numbers available to me. And I am reasonably happy with the way they are trending.