Question for the women...weight gain on birth control

Options
Hi ladies,

I was hoping to get some advice on birth control. We are done having kids but both my dh and I don't want to do anything permanent. I want to go on birth control but honestly I'm concerned about the possible weight gain. I have busted my butt to lose 75 pounds and I'm only three pounds away from my goal so I don't want to gain any back because if birth control. Are there better birth controls out there that won't make you gain weight? What are your experiences with them? Thank you so much!!!

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Condoms
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I know that birth control can sometimes cause hunger, but it doesn't automatically cause you to put on weight. To do that, you need to eat more than you're burning. In my experience the worst that happens is I am bloated for a few days on the pill, but I think it's because you start the new pill while you're on your period.

I have a Mirena now which I've had 0 side effects in (although the insertion was NOT pleasant, lol) but I had really good success with Yaz/Yasmin before that. Honestly I wouldn't worry about the weight gain as long as you keep doing what you've been doing. I highly doubt a new birth control will derail a 75 lb loss!
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    Condoms

Touche
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills don't make you gain weight. Over eating does.
    The pill doesn't cause hunger but it can cause some water retention. Aside from that it shouldn't impact your weight loss if you keep your diet/exercise in check
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Nope

But you might if you don't use your birth control
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nope

But you might if you don't use your birth control

Which is why I want to go on birth control :).
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I was on Lo Ovral for abut 8 years and never gained weight....I was off them for 2 yeas and then put on the shot...which I loved....again no weight gain
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    If you have to use bc, opt for condoms.

I gained weight on every pill contraceptive I've ever taken. BC can either level or increase your hormone levels and reacts with receptors in your brain - particularly the one that affects hunger. I don't trust them or the newer methods of BC (e.g. patch, shot, etc) because there has not been enough clinical time that is satisfactory to me in order to take it.
  • amyegm
    amyegm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Actually, yes, some hormone based birth control can cause you to put on weight. One of the most common side effects of the depo provera shot is weight gain. With the pill, you have to be careful if you have issues with insulin as it will affect that. What I recommend for hormone based bc is the Nuva Ring. It is the only hormone based bc I've used that hasn't caused me any problems with weight.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and have had no side effects. It's supposed to be one of the most effective birth control methods out there and it prevents pregnancy for 5 years.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot when I got Mirena, but I had also been consistently calorie counting and working out before that and quit doing those just a little before I got Mirena (like a few weeks or a month before) so those are a major contribution. A very small part of the gain was from the IUD, but the majority was my own fault. :frown:

I don't think weight gain should stop you from getting BC if that's what you want to do for your family. If you watch what you're doing (calorie and exercise), you'll be okay. A small gain is going to be a lot better than an unplanned pregnancy.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My DR told me any gain more then 5lbs of water weight cannot be blamed on BC and is more to do with peoples unhealthy choices....yes it can cause you to retain water/gain small amounts of weight, but not as much as people try and use it as an excuse for....you might gain a few lbs but your not going to go from skinny to fat or put on a ton of weight because of BC...now a lot of the other side effects of BC suck...but the weight gain isn't very significant.
  • samirw890
    Options
    It all depends on the person really I know people who ate like pigs and lost weight on it and then there are people like me that did sports ate healthy and stayed active and gained 30lb in a 2 yr range on it. I got off it because it was messing with my weight so much. Really you just have to find one that works for you. I havent yet lol
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone concerned about the effect on a woman's reproductive system with some of these BC options that prevent pregnancy through hormones for 3 months or longer?
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    My DR told me any gain more then 5lbs of water weight cannot be blamed on BC and is more to do with peoples unhealthy choices....yes it can cause you to retain water/gain small amounts of weight, but not as much as people try and use it as an excuse for....you might gain a few lbs but your not going to go from skinny to fat or put on a ton of weight because of BC...now a lot of the other side effects of BC suck...but the weight gain isn't very significant.

Exactly. BC causes for water retention, which could lead to a small gain. It doesn't magically pack fat on you. It can cause hunger, which will lead to overeating which will lead to weight gain. It should be, "I'm on birth control which causes increased appetite which causes overeating which causes weight gain." Also, when two things happen at the same time, they are not necessarily related (i.e. a slow weight gain and being on birth control). I used to believe every widely perpetuated myth out there, but the fact is that most of them are not true and shouldn't scare someone away from something as important as choosing birth control.
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    Options
    A friend of mine just got knocked up through the condoms-only method.

Look into Paragard. It has no hormones.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just got knocked up through the condoms-only method.

Look into Paragard. It has no hormones.

I have never heard of that. Are you on it?
  • utterbubble
    Options
    Don't have anything with hormones!!! I have a copper IUD Gynefix - its great i'm also done having kids so this is great for me :)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I haaaaaaaaated my BC pills!

First pills I had, I gained like 10 pounds. And lost sex drive.

Next time I had BC pills for a year, I didn't have much weight gain but had NO sex drive at all. Nothing. Dry. I was refusing sex for 4 months and finally just gave up on BC.
  • utterbubble
    Options
    http://www.willowclinic.ca/?page_id=329

This it what you are looking for no side effects, hormones and it lasts 5 years