Question about water and weight loss?

Options
I workout 6-7 days a week, and sometimes i do multiple workouts a day. Because of that, i make sure to stay extremely hydrated (probably drink almost 80 ounces per day). I know water is really important and good for weight loss, but how much water should i drink the day before my weigh day?? will all this water affect the numbers on the scale?? and also, when is your favorite day of the week to weight yourself? i've been doing it every monday (only for two weeks now) but i'm thinking i might wanna change it to friday. it probably doesn't matter that much,i'm just curious what you guys do :tongue:

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Usually the more water you drink, the less water you hold, due to the amount you have to use the bathroom :)

Just drink water, don't worry about the weight on the scales, weigh the same day every week in the morning when you've used thee bathroom after waking, each week it'll get lower if your calories are right, don't worry about the minor details.

I weigh every monday morning myself :-)
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    I have a cup on my desk that holds 24 oz of water, I try to drink 5 of those or more a day. I also weigh myself every Sunday morning, mostly because my day off is Saturday so I work out like crazy & always keep busy. So to me it feels like my chances of weight loss is better on Sunday.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Usually the more water you drink, the less water you hold, due to the amount you have to use the bathroom :)

No! That is an initial response to sudden or increased intake - your bladder needs time to adapt to any change of intake you make. You MUST drink more to stay hydrated if you are exercising. The pee reflex will sort itself out if you are consistent and drink over a period of time rather than flooding your bladder.

As for weighing pick a day and time and always weigh in then. You may not get an accurate reading (when do we ever?) but it will be consistent.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

No! That is an initial response to sudden or increased intake - your bladder needs time to adapt to any change of intake you make. You MUST drink more to stay hydrated if you are exercising. The pee reflex will sort itself out if you are consistent and drink over a period of time rather than flooding your bladder.

As for weighing pick a day and time and always weigh in then. You may not get an accurate reading (when do we ever?) but it will be consistent.

What are you saying no to? You've not even said anything in response to what I said?

You're weird, seriously.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you through your urine if you are properly hydrated.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Water does not effect your weight unless your electrolytes are out of balance. Particularly sodium and potassium.

I track both in my diary and try to keep them as equivalent as much as possible.

Please do not fall for the myth that excess sodium can be purged by drinking water. That is NOT how it works!
  • mattywesmitchell
    Options
    What are you weighing in for? Is it something that requires you to be over/under a certain weight? If so, and you want to be forsure about you're weight, I would suggest not drinking very much that day. water DOES in fact have an effect on weight, and is a main reason why scales cannot always be trusted. Though, if you are planning on doing vigorous activity on such day, I wouldn't suggest dehydrating yourself. Goodluck!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options

What are you saying no to? You've not even said anything in response to what I said?

You're weird, seriously.

Well I quoted the bit you posted. Did you intend to say if you drink more water you will hold less? Proof read yourself for sense if you did not.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options

You're weird, seriously.

Well I quoted the bit you posted. Did you intend to say if you drink more water you will hold less? Proof read yourself for sense if you did not.
    ?? Totally lost me...