So frustrated

Options
I feel like I should be losing around 2 lbs per week but that's not the case. Today, the scale said I actually gained weight. Ugh.

So I'm 5'9" and currently 211 lbs.
My TDEE is 2720
My BMR is 1755

I sit behind a desk for 8 hours during the day but I work out 5 days a week and usually burn between 400 and 600 calories per day.

My diary is open. What am I doing wrong???
:ohwell:

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong???

Expecting a loss of 2lbs/week. Set your goals for 1lb/wk and see what happens.
  • Diva1205
    Diva1205 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe try lowering your calories by 200, it seems you are eating 1780 a day. maybe try 1500?
    I'm at 314, and I've been eating around 1300 calories, and exercising everyday, and I've lost 11 pounds in two weeks. I' m sure that first week was mostly water, but I also do not eat my exercise calories. Just a thought. Good luck, hang in there..
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    your weight can probably fluctuate as much as 3-5lbs per day due to water and undigested food.

yet you are concerned that the scale went up instead of down 2lbs.

do you see the issue?

e.g., 200lbs - 2lbs loss + 4lbs water = 202lbs
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    I also agree on possibly lowering your calories, I'm 245 & eat 1,450 a day. Also if you do any weight lifting you will gain before you lose. Try to drink more water?

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dobermomof3
    Options
    take measurements....work out hard and drink lots of water.... eat more protein stay away from sugars and flour...i understand your frustration been there!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong???

Expecting a loss of 2lbs/week. Set your goals for 1lb/wk and see what happens.

yup.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you're taking in more calories than you burn... and being stationary only complicates your issue. There's not much you can do about your job mechanics but if it were me I'd increase the amount of calories I'm burning per day, increase my fruit and veggie intake.. and maybe cut back on the processed foods a little. :smile: Stay motivated :bigsmile:
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    First important thing to do is stop looking at the scale as the definitive measure. Your weight can fluctuate considerably throughout the day. Some thoughts to help
    * Increase your water intake
    * Be diligent but tracking your caloric intake
    * Invest in some sort of gadget to help track your calories burned, exercise, etc. They're not precise - but it will be a constant reminder to stay fit.
    * Make sure that you're staying below the calories that MFP recommends for you.
    * Make sure you're including at least 30 minutes of heavy cardio in your workouts.
    * Track other measurements such as waist, hips, forearms and wrists.
    * Focus more on Body Fat Percentage

Remember that as you lose bod fat and replace with muscle mass, your net weight may not show a big loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's not linear. I frequently gain water weight too... it doesn't last. Just keep doing what you're doing, you're doing great!
  • jessicas1184
    jessicas1184 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I updated my calorie goals and I'll work a little harder at the gym this week.
    Thanks again!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    First important thing to do is stop looking at the scale as the definitive measure. Your weight can fluctuate considerably throughout the day. Some thoughts to help
    * Invest in some sort of gadget to help track your calories burned, exercise, etc. They're not precise - but it will be a constant reminder to stay fit.
    * Make sure you're including at least 30 minutes of heavy cardio in your workouts.

Remember that as you lose bod fat and replace with muscle mass, your net weight may not show a big loss.

this.

I lost a lot of weight in inches - but when i looked at the scale the poundage said I gained three lbs.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options

this.

I lost a lot of weight in inches - but when i looked at the scale the poundage said I gained three lbs.

^^^^ This. The scale lies if not supported by measurements - trust but verify.