it not going way i want it

Options
EVERY time I get down and serious about exercising everyday something happens.

one time I got serious and I broke a toe and couldn't get on it without much pressure it would hurt.
another time. I broke tail bone. every move hurts my bottom. <it was in 2009
other times work, babysitting, school issues. <some cannot do about.

this time I want to actually do more than just hip hop abs I wanted to do a cross between hip hop abs and jillian michaels. and now I got the cold.

hard to keep and stay motivated

Replies

• mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You got a cold and now you can't stick to your food/exercise routine?
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Be more careful when you exercise. If your tailbone is still causing pain, go see a doctor and see what you can do.

If you can't work with your lower body, work with your upper body. Sit on a chair or your bed, then start boxing. Shadow-boxing burns calories nicely.

If you are sick, you are not supposed to exercise. Stick with your diet as much as possible. When you are healthy again, get back to working out.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

one time I got serious and I broke a toe and couldn't get on it without much pressure it would hurt.

this time I want to actually do more than just hip hop abs I wanted to do a cross between hip hop abs and jillian michaels. and now I got the cold.

Not to be harsh...but you need to suck it up and stop making excuses. If you wanted it bad enough, you would find a way to make it happen. I have 3 kids and a husband who works long hours. My oldest child has autism and an anger control disorder. I still make it to the gym 4-5 times a week. Even sore or injured, as long as I can haul my booty out of bed, it goes to the gym. That includes in December when I strained my calf muscle and was on crutches for several days...and Doctor ordered to do no weight bearing exercises for at least a week. I STILL went to the gym and did upper body.

You got a freaking COLD?!? I am asthmatic, and I have had workouts where I scared my trainer because I came close to having an attack--one day it was 2x. But you know what? I took a minute to rest and get my breathing under control, and I got back to it. Take some dayquil and pop that video in.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    They are just excuses. Good 1's if you are physically injured but they heal in time.

I've just taken 3 weeks off of exercising because I had a sinus infection & I was in a great deal of pain. It killed me but now I'm back to it. Did I want to wake up at 5am today to exercise. No. But I sucked it up & did it.

Perhaps just focus on eating better & then incorporate exercise later? Good luck.
  • akirgan
    akirgan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stay positive, there are always things you can do to stick with your goals.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I suffered a slipped disc last year (which was actually the reason I started losing weight). I'm not trying to take anything away from you, but if you think a broken toe is painful, try a slipped disc. I have never felt pain like it.

I started weight lifting, and it hurt my back, so before it 'went' completely, I stopped and found other exercises to do. I walk a lot and swim, because they are low impact exercises that won't do any further harm. Now my back is better, I've started weight lifting again, taking it more slowly, and I've had much more success. In fact, my back is getting stronger because of it.

My point is, it sounds like you are making excuses. Exercise comes in many forms, and there are things you can do to actually help improve your recovery. And a cold is certainly no reason to stop exercising.
  • j3an22
    j3an22 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks to some positive people!
    those who were not positive, it may sound excuses. but let me say this.

I HAVE SUCK UP ALOT OF PAIN IN MY LIFE AND GET UP EVERY SINGLE DAY AND DO MY JOB.

like when I broke my tail bone. I went 3 weeks without going to see the doctor! and I went to work, school, even babysitting.

For 5 years now I suffered with chronic migraines and I GET MY *kitten* UP EVERYDAY and go do what I need to do and get it done.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Not to be harsh...but you need to suck it up and stop making excuses. If you wanted it bad enough, you would find a way to make it happen. I have 3 kids and a husband who works long hours. My oldest child has autism and an anger control disorder. I still make it to the gym 4-5 times a week. Even sore or injured, as long as I can haul my booty out of bed, it goes to the gym. That includes in December when I strained my calf muscle and was on crutches for several days...and Doctor ordered to do no weight bearing exercises for at least a week. I STILL went to the gym and did upper body.

You got a freaking COLD?!? I am asthmatic, and I have had workouts where I scared my trainer because I came close to having an attack--one day it was 2x. But you know what? I took a minute to rest and get my breathing under control, and I got back to it. Take some dayquil and pop that video in.

EXACTLY! and research has shown colds leave quicker with exercise, so suck it up buttercup! and get to work!!
  • nicoledj27
    nicoledj27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Les Mills Combat and jogging. I got a cold a few weeks ago, and turned out to be bronchitis (plus a sinus infection and tonsillitis). I had to take 3 weeks off, and the first 2 weeks I could barely get up off the couch. The 3rd week I started walking. The last thing I wanted to do was make my bronchitis worse and delay healing by exercising too strenuously. I continued watching what I eat, and even though I wasn't working out I still managed to lose almost 2lbs (I was scared I gained weight). I've heard diet is 75% and exercise is only 25% of weight loss.
  • nicoledj27
    nicoledj27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I also suffer from chronic migraines and I know how painful that is. Just remember some people think "tough love" is the best way to motivate people. I suffer from debilitating depression, and when I get into a funk I lose my motivation to work out. I noticed people try to use "tough love" to motivate me and all it does is make it that much harder to get back into my routine. I have found getting up and doing something to be the hardest for me, but once I am up, I can push myself to keep going. When I get depressed I notice how much time I waste on the couch, at the computer or in bed, and tell myself I could take some of that time to get up and go for a walk. Walking is a good stepping stone for me to get back into jogging.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately life happens. There will always be an excuse to not do something. This has nothing to do with an injury, but you still have the ability to eat within your macros no matter what the day throws at you. I had to put myself first and get in my gym time first thing in the morning. I roll out of bed and head straight to the gym; not always my favorite, but when a client suddenly wants to have drinks after work, I don't have to worry about missing a workout.

You can do this. Be stronger than your excuses.
  • fleurdevereux
    Options
    I can understand the cold. Seems like things hit a road bump. I got sick and figured, okay, I can deal with this. Then my 4 year old got sick as well and I figured, okay, a little less sleep and less patience, but I can handle it. But when my 5 month old joined in on the fun.. whole different story. Lost patience, all sleep and a bit more of my sanity. Staying up all night to help her because she isn't grasping the concept of breathing through her mouth because her nose is so stuffed up, hoping the neighbors don't get mad because of her 3AM screaming fit, The last thing on my mind was my diet and exercise. But now that both my girls are starting to sleep better and I'm starting to feel a little better, I'm back on my feet and as motivated as ever to make up for lost time and gained weight.
  • Melaney1
    Melaney1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and take one day at a time. It's a life style change and it doesn't happen over night, it take's time.
    Take it slow and do what is right for you.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Like anything else, if it's a priority, you'll find a way to fit it in, and make it work.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have broken my tailbone. (It is very painful!) I have crushed the weight bearing bone in my ankle, and have hip pain.
    I just can't do the dancing, and high energy step routines. What I do instead is a 30 minute daily workout with a 25 pound weight from the Daily Workout App. I also do jog/walk intervals around my neighborhood, or on a track. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Thanks to some positive people!
    those who were not positive, it may sound excuses. but let me say this.

I HAVE SUCK UP ALOT OF PAIN IN MY LIFE AND GET UP EVERY SINGLE DAY AND DO MY JOB.

like when I broke my tail bone. I went 3 weeks without going to see the doctor! and I went to work, school, even babysitting.

For 5 years now I suffered with chronic migraines and I GET MY *kitten* UP EVERYDAY and go do what I need to do and get it done.

I lived for 5 years with chronic migraines, a bad shoulder/back and a hand that does what ever the hell it feels like doing. I have still woke up every day, went to work, took care of a tiny human and still survived.

It sucks you had a crappy life, and things are not working for you but a cold does not mean you have to stop doing everything. I work out with cold - I did insanity with the plague (seriously I thought it was the plague it was horrible) I always felt better when I was moving.

My migraines are all but gone, I get them once and a while but it is no longer an every day thing, my back/shoulder get better with every work out, my hand will never be 100% OK but it hurts less and less.

My advice to you is stop looking for an excuse, and just do it. A cold is not the end of the world, you could always just go for a walk, or you could try hip-hop abs you know.

Pull up the big girl panties and do it. I live by this "Life sucks... you can either sit in your pile of suck and cry or move on... that choice is yours" so what is your choice? Sit in your pile of suck... or are you gonna just move on and do it?
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm going to be your cheerleader/coach/Jillian Michaels for a second: some things to consider: really think of more motivating reasons "why" you want to be healthy. I was looking at your profile and you have a good one, but that's it (prediabetic/diabetic I count as only one motivator). Also, you're looking for a new you - this means you have to start doing new things. Change will create what you want, but you have to be willing to do the things that are needed. I recommend that you throw out everything that's processed in your food including dairy, and start from scratch. And walk. Find some of your favorite music and go walking. You can walk while babysitting. Walking will burn lots of calories, gets you outside for a little vitamin D, and it's easy on your joints/bones. I think you're injuring yourself because you're trying to do too much too soon. I was like that and found myself injured often. So, think about some really motivating reasons why you're doing this, throw out anything that isn't whole food, and walk around your block for 20 min a day. Then work up from there. Good luck.
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can do it, something, anything! I broke my tailbone snowboarding and it hurt to run, so I did the elliptical at a lower intensity. I fractured my knee skiing (maybe I should avoid snow sports?) two weeks before a half marathon and was told I wasn't allowed to run on it, so I walked the race. All 13.1 miles, with a thick, hinged brace from mid-thigh to mid-calf. It was uncomfortable, but I knew I could do it and I'd be better for it. Today I woke up with a cold, but you can bet I'll be at the gym after work. You just have to believe you can do it and that nothing can stop you, because I know you can do it!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If your looking for sympathy on these forums you're not really going to find it. The majority think tough love is the best medicine for everyone as another has already said. I rarely post here and just communicate with my friends list just because I see stuff like this. But, I felt compelled to reply to you anyway. I am similar to you in that life always seems to throw things in your way, but I also know that while it's okay to rest an injury we have to do what we can once we begin to feel better. I worked out through some injuries and made things worse. I ended up having 4 months of physical therapy to correct things with a lot of added expense, both monetarily and physically, but on the positive side of that- I learned how to take care of my knees after working out and what not to do and do instead. Even though we are injured or sick there is always a positive, we just have to look for it. I know you are probably bummed and it's hard to get up and just do it, like the Nike ad's state, but dig deep and find it girl. Go for a walk when the worst of the cold passes and follow your diet. We all get unmotivated at times, I know I do, I would never claim to be perfect at this. It's a battle every day for some of us and we just need to keep up the fight! Hang in there.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine always says, "Life happens when you make other plans."

The last few months haven't gone the way I wanted to either - gained back just about 30 pounds. UGH.

BUT I've spent the last few weeks working hard to try to get back on track, and finally, at today's weigh-in, I lost 3.4 pounds.

Do what you can to get healthy so you can then try to stay healthy.