Question about p90x

Options
I am really interested in doing the p90x system. My work-outs have always been monotonous, and I lack the variety that I probably need for overall fitness. My issues is this: I have found that when I do any type of strength work-out - lunges, squats, free-weights, my muscles are very sore at first. But then if I keep up with the routine by doing it at least twice a week, I maintain muscle strength and am no longer sore. If I do any less than twice a week, my muscles are sore all over again (I am not maintaining strength). It seems p90x bounces around to different muscle groups/workouts so much that you would lose strength in a particular muscle group by not working it out again for a long period of time. If I do arms and back, and then don't do it again for two weeks, I will be back to zero. Has anyone found this with p90x?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and your body need variety and P90X gives that to you. I have been doing many different things when is comes to working out always challanging your muscles. There is always room for improvent even for us who are very fit. You have to learn to push your self harder. Chase the burn and you may not always be sore. That has nothing to do with loosing strength. When you change things around that is generlly when you get sore again. Find ways to challange your body. Push it to its limits and out of your comfort zone. Chase the Burn. I have done many things and P90X is one of them and as for me as a professional it challanged me :-) switch it up
  • chelseawinkle
    Options
    P90x is specially set up so that you dont lose muscle strength each video focuses on a certain section of the body hpwever they are each also a full body work out you work every muscle everytime so there is no fall back and you will be sore at first but after that initial soreness it feels GREAT!
  • steve2375
    steve2375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    P90x is based on the concept of muscle confusion, meaning that the workouts change periodically to continually challenge your muscles. P90x also is more than strength training. It incorporates yoga, plyometrics, and kempo (kickboxing). This workout program is great for overall fitness -> strength, flexibility, balance, and cardio. It comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so you really have nothing to lose by trying it! Good Luck!
  • authentic1
    authentic1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You won't be back to zero at all. The reason you are no longer sore is you're body has adapted as much as it can. When you switch up your exercise routines, even though you are working the same muscles in different ways, you get 'muscle confusion', which keeps your body challenged and always changing. You end up with a more balanced and fit body.

Another form of exercise that will keep boredom from setting in is Pilates. With a well qualified, fully certified trainer you have over 600 exercises to choose from, always keeping you challenged and engaged.
    You still have to add in calorie-burning cardio, though.
    Good luck:smile:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90x is specially set up so that you dont lose muscle strength each video focuses on a certain section of the body hpwever they are each also a full body work out you work every muscle everytime so there is no fall back and you will be sore at first but after that initial soreness it feels GREAT!
    You don't work each muscle every time. There are DVD's for different body parts.