Eating While Bored

Options
Hello everyone! I need some advice. I have been on this site for almost a year now. I did WW right before and with the two programs I have lost about 50 pounds. I like MFP better because I feel like I am not so deprived.

The biggest thing that I have struggled with is eating when I have nothing else to do. How does everyone else cope with this? It has almost become a habit. One I would really like to break! Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby.. several hobbies.
  • rhino323
    rhino323 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    whenever i get the urge to eat when im not hungry, i just chew gum, it helps
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I finished my calorie allotment and my macro-nutrients by 4:30 in the afternoon.
    I was full, satiated, and satisfied, and so I didn't go grazing in the kitchen,
    even though there was plenty to tempt me.

Perhaps you could look up, "food cravings and allergies".
    Also, I suggest you find out more about "satiety".

Best wishes!
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I find myself in the same predicament... Eating when bored, eating when stressed, eating for the sake of eating, eating, eating, eating.

With the eating and the boredom, there seems to be only 2 things you can do :

A) Not get bored. Or discract yourself with something as soon as the "boredom" creeps in. At work, I sometimes get up and go down two flights of stairs just to air out and just for the sake of it. It's even better to get occupied with a task that will make you move.

B) Eat extremely low cal if you must. Watermelon is my favortite in that respect. You could eat the whole thing and it wouldn't matter.

As your new routine becomes part of you, food will be less on your mind and you won't be tempted or thinking about eating all the time.

Good luck !
  • maritsa88
    maritsa88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When i'm bored i overeat and when i'm sad too. I try to stop it but i couldn't and the only thing that i wanted was sweets every kind of sweets. But as we need attention or something to distract us we turn on food. Food is not like people, it doesn't nag ,it doesn't want attention, it doesn't need anything at all. BUT it gives us taste and pleasure without asking anything else its free. At the end, we end up addicted to it, so addicted. We need to stop this.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Figure out when the boredom eating happens, and do things to prevent it. Do you eat watching TV? Find something that keeps your hands busy, like knitting, drawing etc. If you're sitting around after lunch go for a walk. Change up your routine and do things that you don't associate with food.

Otherwise, if you know there is a time when you can't resist snacking, plan for it. Save 100cals for some popcorn, or put some sugar-free ice pops in the freezer. Gum is good. I also find really strong sugar-free mints are helpful, they leave such a strong fresh taste in my mouth eating seems less appealing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I need some advice. I have been on this site for almost a year now. I did WW right before and with the two programs I have lost about 50 pounds. I like MFP better because I feel like I am not so deprived.

The biggest thing that I have struggled with is eating when I have nothing else to do. How does everyone else cope with this? It has almost become a habit. One I would really like to break! Any advice would be appreciated.

its simple... find something else to do!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat primal (ultra low carb) as I am diabetic. I found making up a 'snack bowl' helped. Mine has low carb high fat items, but you can put in whatever you like.

To try to get into a better routine of not snacking, make up a bowl, reduce the calorie content by a set amount each week. You could then get yourself our of the habit of eating when bored.

I am almost at goal now, but do still have a snack bowl if there is something in my life effecting my appetite. It has been a real weight loss friend to me.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan healthy snacks and make sure that they will fit into your day without putting you over on calories. Since I work at a desk, I plan to have a snack mid-morning and another in the afternoon, it has significantly helped me to avoid grazing! Definitely drink lots of water and chew gum if you're still struggling :)
  • walk_fit
    walk_fit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am a chronic grazer,boredom/mindless eater the only thing which helps me reset this is this Dr. Oz 3 day cleanse which I am doing currently. The almond butter and the coconut oil has a true satiety factor which helps me lot. In essence it is the fat which helps with satiety I think .
  • stephaniesayshello
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input. I think the problem is that I am not working right now and that throws me off. It is so much easier for me to diet when I have somewhere to be everyday. I guess I really do need to find a hobby!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to eat when bored all the time, but I find if I eat little and often (like 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day) I don't have that problem anymore. I'm out of work too so I find this helps and fill some spare time with exercise even if it's just going for a walk.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    when you get bored and want to eat, take a walk instead, if you've already done that, take a bubble bath, anything to keep your mind off the food, exercise is a great option because then you get double benefits and you burn stuff so you can be okay if you do eat a little extra

oh, and drinking water helps too
  • fireproofwoman
    Options
    This may sound weird, but when I am bored or just craving food, I have found that brushing my teeth stops the craving. I don't know why exactly, but for me it works. I think sometimes I can still "taste" the previous food (as I like very spicy, well-seasoned foods) and brushing stops that. At other times I just don't want to ruin the minty fresh sensation. Try it, it may work for you too...
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Many people don't realize it, but boredom is a form of depression. Eating is a pleasurable experience and can alleviate the mild depression known as boredom.

According to wikipedia: "Boredom and its proneness are both theoretically and empirically linked to depression and similar symptoms. Nonetheless, boredom proneness has been found to be as strongly correlated with attentional lapses as with depression. Although boredom is often viewed as a trivial and mild irritant, proneness to boredom has been linked to a very diverse range of possible psychological, physical, educational, and social problems."

In this case, exercise and social activities will help you stop eating when you are bored. Find something pleasurable, non-food related, activity to stop the boredom munchies. Read a light hearted book, call a friend for a chat, listen to some music, watch a funny cat video, take a walk, take a long hot bath, light a scented candle and enjoy the fragrance, etc. etc.

I also have a tendency to eat when I am procrastinating. It is probably related to boredom, too.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    There are lots of things you can do. If you're actually hungry, eat veggies or something else that isn't going to add to your daily calorie allowance. Drinking water will curb your appetite too. If your not really hungry and just bored, you need to distract yourself some how. Go for a walk, go to the park, read a book. Just some ideas.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Try to get away from the house. Go for a walk or bike ride or something if you can. If you are away from the temptation, it will give it time to go away. I also eat when I am bored. Things like reading a book or watching tv don't help me as I can mindlessly eat then. LOL. I try to get outside and walk for at least 20 minutes to see if the temptation goes away. If I am stuck inside, I ride the exercise bike while watching tv.
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can learn to knit or crochet for free with youtube videos if that interests you. Keeping my hands busy works better for me than, say, reading because I can't knit or crochet and eat at the same time.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I thought I boredom-ate.
    But now I realize I eat when frustrated.
    Not angry or sad or bored. Frustrated.
  • eejj_
    eejj_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drink water... lots of water