Can I up my running program?

Options
I started the C25K program in May of this year and completed it in July. For 3 weeks I've been running about three 5K's a week along with cross-training on my days off running. I'm wondering if I can start running more than 3 days a week, can I run consecutive days or should I wait? I'm wanting to start increasing my mileage and work on increasing my speed. What do all of the runners recommend?

I cross-train with biking occasionally and other Cardio DVD's. Weight lifting should be starting up shortly also. Thanks for everyone's input!

Replies

• bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    Look into running plans thAt keep your runs to 3 days a week but start adding distance to those runs. Hal Higdon has some good plans for example, I'm currently following one of his half marathon training plans
  • FitbitVanessa
    FitbitVanessa Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump - interested in responses to this too.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above, look at Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon plans. Even if you don't want to run a race the plan slowly builds your mileage. If you aren't looking to become a full time runner get rid of on of the weekend runs and one of the shorter weekday runs.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd add distance to the runs you're doing, not add extra runs. Perhaps make one of your 3 runs a sprint session if you want to improve speed. This is just what makes sense to me. I am by no means an experienced/seasoned runner.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you want to add a day add it and see how your body responds.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has already said. I started with c25k in April 2011 and completed a marathon in November 2012. I did all of that with just 3 runs per week - just upped my mileage using a combo of Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running every other day helps preserve your joints. You don't want to develop knee or ankle problems. I agree with increasing your mileage on one of the days you run and doing something low impact on the days between. While increasing your mileage be sure to keep the increases at no more than 10% per week. Over time, you can increase the distance on your "short" days, too. When first training for my first half marathon I started with 3 mile short runs but by the time of the race my short runs were 6 miles two days per week with one long run of 7 to 11 miles.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Add another day. You'll be fine.
  • maxxmore
    maxxmore Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can. I would make your goal a 10k next and work up from there. Runkeeper an app has quite a few 10k programs.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    After finishing C25K I continued with the 10K Trainer App. Start with week 9 and do that 3 days a week.