Any thoughts on calorie requirements post surgery?

Options
Hi there. I had a hysterectomy 11 days ago and am wondering if anyone knows anything about calorie requirements post major surgery? I instinctively feel this isn't the time to "diet" as such but also don't want to pile back on the weight I lost pre-op. Obviously I'm pretty inactive at the moment. It's a difficult one to call...

Replies

• Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd eat at maintenance if I were you, maybe at a very small deficit.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am five and a half weeks out of having an appendectomy. I ate much less the week I was in hospital as the food was gross. I lost half a stone in the week I was in hospital and three days prior with appendicitis. Since I have been home my appetite is appalling, I am really struggling to eat. I just eat as much as I can but make sure what I am eating is all clean. Dairy, veggies, fruit, etc, I made a crumble with 4 kinds of berries and rhubarb with ground almonds instead of regular wheat flour (I don't eat wheat or grains anyway) to try to keep my calories up and allow my body to continue to heal.
  • snowcoon
    snowcoon Posts: 50
    Options
    Thank you
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had surgery a few months ago.
    You need to remember that your body is in repair mode after surgery. You will need protein for repairs.
    eat clean!!
    Drink plenty of water!!!
    Listen to your body!!
    You'll be fine :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. S/he would know better. Maybe you could get a referral to a Registered Dietician.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    As has been posted I would recommend eating at maintenance calories. Also, make sure you are eating plenty of protein to help with healing and drinking plenty of water. Hope you heal quickly!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'd eat at maintenance if I were you, maybe at a very small deficit.

You're right - this is not the time to diet. Your body needs a lot of energy to heal. Just be sure to eat well balanced meals with plenty of protein and I'll bet you drop some weight even while recovering.

Feel better soon!