Knee Bursitis frustration!

Options
I signed up for my very first 5K to be ran on August 3rd. This past Sunday I started week 6 of the C25K program. I am in love with running, never ever thought I'd say that. I woke up yesterday morning with terrible knee pain, doctor said bursitis, I've had it before years ago but haven't had an issue in a long time. I've been doing the icing and ibuprofen and trying to rest it. It is killing me not being able to run! Anyone have experience with Knee Bursitis? How long did it take you before you were able to start running again? Doctor said 2 weeks of no running and to get a knee brace. I am doing this 5k, I can not wait 2 weeks!

Replies

• sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    Sorry can't really offer any advice, just to say that's the reason I don't run. The impact from the foot bouncing on the pavement will just aggravate it. I use the treadmill at the gym and fast walk on the highest incline setting, making sure my footsteps are soft. Also avoid kneeling and sitting with knees bent too far. Have you been offered steroid injections in your knees, doesn't work for everyone for does help some, doesn't work for me.
  • Bxrlvr73
    Bxrlvr73 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for they reply, I haven't been offered any injections yet (yikes! lol) Haven't had any real problems since my high school softball days, should of never played the position of catcher I guess. :) It is just so very upsetting to not be able to do the thing you love to do because your body isn't cooperating!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel !!!
    I too never thought I would enjoy running but I am loving it. I am halfway through the c25k program and as of two days ago I have terrible shin splints. No running for about 2 weeks and I am actually very disappointed/PO about this.
    I guess there's not much we can do but heal up and hope we get stronger from it.
  • Bxrlvr73
    Options
    5K was a success, finished with a time of 32:40 :) Not the most impressive time, but I am PROUD! Ibuprofen and ice do a lot of good.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Running is not good on the joints, if you already have bursitis it might be time to rethink running at all. The damage you could do whilst medicating won't be later solved with RICE or pills.

As frustrating as it is, you have to think of the long term - Fluid in the knee is a very very bad sign... Your knee fills with fluid in an attempt to lubricate and protect the joint. The protective cartilage in your knee is likely damaged or missing. Continuing to run will only lead to worsening injury and can ultimately lead to serious disability.
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    I was having knee pain 2 years ago about 1 month before my first marathon. Doctor diagnosed me with bursitis in my knee. Said if I could stand the pain, I could continue running through my marathon (with ice and ibuprofen) then I needed to rest it for a few weeks. I followed his instructions, and am still running today with no problems. I'm currently training for another marathon, in fact.

Bottom line is, bursitis is NOT fluid in the knee, nor is it a sign of torn cartilage. You have a bursa sac in your knee (and other places - I've also had bursitis in my hip) that can get swollen or inflamed, usually due to over use or adding mileage too quickly. I specifically asked my doctor if running when my knee hurt with bursitis would do any further damage to my knee or increase the liklihood of injuring it further. He said absolutely not.

Your situation may be completely different than mine; I just wanted to share my experience with you to clear up some misconceptions and to give you hope that you shouldn't have to give up running due to bursitis in your knee.
  • Bxrlvr73
    Options
    I was having knee pain 2 years ago about 1 month before my first marathon. Doctor diagnosed me with bursitis in my knee. Said if I could stand the pain, I could continue running through my marathon (with ice and ibuprofen) then I needed to rest it for a few weeks. I followed his instructions, and am still running today with no problems. I'm currently training for another marathon, in fact.

Bottom line is, bursitis is NOT fluid in the knee, nor is it a sign of torn cartilage. You have a bursa sac in your knee (and other places - I've also had bursitis in my hip) that can get swollen or inflamed, usually due to over use or adding mileage too quickly. I specifically asked my doctor if running when my knee hurt with bursitis would do any further damage to my knee or increase the liklihood of injuring it further. He said absolutely not.

Your situation may be completely different than mine; I just wanted to share my experience with you to clear up some misconceptions and to give you hope that you shouldn't have to give up running due to bursitis in your knee.

Thank you! My doctor didn't tell me I had to stop running either, just to let it rest a week. I'm not having the pain anymore and haven't had to take any Ibuprofen in quite some time. Thank goodness, I love running so much! Never thought I'd hear myself say that :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've had it from time to time and have had a custom brace ordered by an orthopedist. As I recall, it took several weeks for my knee to get back to normal.

It's frustrating, but do you want your aching knee waking you up in the middle of the night or acting as a weather forecaster? That may happen if you don't let it heal properly.