lifting routine

Options
Does anyone know where I can get a good weight lifiting routine? I have been doing the machines but have read here that they are not as effective as free weights. However, I am not willing/able to pay for a personal trainer but have no idea how to start lifting with free weights. Any advise would be helpful.

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Apparently 5x5 strong lifts is a good start
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Read starting strength for detail on how to do all the lifts properly. The book also includes a programme to follow.

If you don't want to follow that routine then you could try NROL or Stronglifts 5x5 or All Pro SBR. They're all good beginner routines.
  • kc7175
    kc7175 Posts: 11
    Options
    Rachel Cosgrove Drop 2 Sizes is a good read and there's a DVD set. I'm on my 5th week (it's a 3 month rotation) and have already gone down a size even though I've only lost 5 pounds.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Read starting strength for detail on how to do all the lifts properly. The book also includes a programme to follow.

Seconded!
    I started with StrongLifts, but the info there on how to do the lifts properly was just far too lacking for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    starting strength is good, as is New rules of lifting for women. good luck, and have fun.
  • angelwings0110
    angelwings0110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will look into these. I'm just alittle shy and nervous about lifting at the gym but don't have home weights. And I'm paying membership at the Y so I want to use all that it has to offer. Again, thanks for the advise. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is where i started.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i also used to be a little nervous about lifting at the gym. so i started going really really early, when it opened. i figured there would be a whole lot less people there to see me screw up.

it had the added benefit of getting my work outs in early, before the rest of my day.

btw, if you do go, take a small notebook and a pen with you so you can keep track of the exercises, weights, and reps you do. start building on it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said....

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting... all solid starting points. Check our Mark Rippetoe's youtube videos on proper form.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Download the jefit app on your smartphone, or log on the website jefit.com and either copy a routine from the forums, or create your own-if you do, do not forget to add stretching exercises as well at the end, not just weights. The app has great brief videos of each exercise. You can start slow with free weights, cables, bodyweights.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump ..... Some great info, I'm doing alot of cardio at the mo but really want to mix it up a bit....Thanx all
  • angelwings0110
    angelwings0110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started using the jefit app and it is a great way to mix up exercises. Love it so far
  • mbird2132
    mbird2132 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151032123

That should answer most of your questions. I prefer Allpro’s Simple Beginner Routine. By far the most popular routine on that site.
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump ... great info .... probably gonna start lifting in a couple of weeks after almost 5 years