Cheating

Options
How do you cheat? Do you cheat the whole day, one meal, compensate for the calories?

Really need to get this 20lbs off, but sometimes I want cake. Or beer. Or white sauce. Or fried things.

Help?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That doesn't have to be cheating. Eat it in small quantities and just include it in your calories. You're going to be doing this forever. Who wants to live without good food for the rest of your life?
  • samirw890
    Options
    I indulge myself only when I know that I have the leeway in my calorie consumption to do so and still stay on track, in all honesty I workout in order to be able to eat alittle more that day and not feel guilty. You just have to control the amount of food your eating.
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating, I call it living.... And in my life there is beer and cake, just a lot less of it. I log honestly, so I see what my choices are doing to my goals every day. Some days I go over 1200-1500, but not often. Eat what you want or you'll never stick to this, everything in moderation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How do you cheat? Do you cheat the whole day, one meal, compensate for the calories?

Really need to get this 20lbs off, but sometimes I want cake. Or beer. Or white sauce. Or fried things.

Help?

So eat those things. Just eat less of them.

Just saw that mama said the same thing.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Cheating is binary. Right/wrong. If you've cheated on question 1, you might as well on question 3. Since you're screwed either way if caught. Something like that. It's the wrong way to look at things.

You have a calorie target. You probably won't hit it exactly, and that's ok. Just try to be near it most of the time. It's like horseshoes - you're trying to be close.

Bigger picture: if you have 1 lb/week loss set, going over by 1000 one day means you'll be at -2500 for the week (~2/3 lb instead of 1 lb loss). It's not that big of a deal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I want within my calories. But yes it means there's a lot of things I haven't eaten in 6 months, just because it doesn't seem worth it to blow 1000 calories on them. But I've had cake, pizza, ice cream... no problem.
  • met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as it's within my calories. One meal a week I don't log and have whatever I want be it fried, sugary, or washed down with several glasses of wine. It's good for the soul. And my trainer says it's ok. :laugh:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    That doesn't have to be cheating. Eat it in small quantities and just include it in your calories. You're going to be doing this forever. Who wants to live without good food for the rest of your life?

This. I eat whole healthy foods most of the day and leave enough room for indulgences. So if you want to call it cheating then I cheat everyday.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, I plan ahead (by logging ahead in MFP) so I can fit those things into my daily calorie goal. Sometimes I just have a sliver of cake, etc. if I didn't plan ahead for it, and sometimes I go over my calories for the day (which isn't a big deal if it is just every once in awhile).
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    like others have said....I don't cheat....if I want something I plan for it within my daily calorie budget.

I am tired of "cheating" "Off plan for a day" "free day" whatever you want to call it.

I want this weight off and I want it off for good. I am done putting it off.

I want the food....I don't cheat I PLAN for it.

Nothing feels better than enjoying your food and knowing you stuck to your calorie budget.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I "indulge" once a week. Yesterday was greasy fries and a big fat chili burger. It was heaven :happy:

It is the only way I will stay on track.
  • M0TZO
    M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I never "cheat". Sometimes I go over a little, but I log it and move on.

If I want something, or know I might be bad, I'll walk (my main exercise) before my indulgence.

Over weekend (within calorie count) I had a meal with Steak, Chicken & Chips, and a chocolate cake with cream afterwards. It was awesome.
  • andyhat1027
    Options
    I eat what I want but I wouldn't think of it as cheating. Cheating (to me) implies doing something immoral or unethical and eating something that isn't good for you isn't those things.

In the end, you are only accountable to yourself. Every day for me is a step in the right direction. Even if I'm not hitting my goal deficit, it must be not a caloric gain for the day.

IMO, if that huge pastrami sandwich is 'worth it', then I won't have any trouble running the 7 or 8 miles to work it off that day. Sometimes, it IS worth it. Sometimes it's not.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options

Help?

I work things like that into my day. Oh and I have beer a couple times a week and I never consider it a cheat. I try to get in my required nutritional needs (or good health guidelines) prior to submitting those 'treats' into my day.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I kind of worked "cheating" into my overall plan and it seems to be working. At first I was doing 1500 calories a day, but then decided to kind of use the Weight Watcher's extra points system as a model. The past few weeks I have been doing 1300 calories for 5 days, then 1800 calories for 2 days (weekend when I eat more). I'm shocked at how much easier its been since now I'm allowed to go over for a few days!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Why is it called "cheating"? Cheating is a dishonest way of gaining an advantage.

Overeating does not fit that definition.