Do all balsamic vinegars essentially taste the same?

Options
I want to buy some but I don't know if it's the type of thing you can just buy the cheap grocery brand, or it needs to be a really good kind.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've bought the expensive stuff. But I'm just as happy with the store-brand. You just have to try both and decide for yourself.

I love balsamic vinegar!! :heart:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not all balsamics are created equal! After tasting a very thick, aged balsamic, I was spoiled rotten! You could go high-end with your balsamic purchase, if you want to try something gourmet. Mine was thick like molasses, and sweet-tasting.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My understanding is the darker and thicker it is the better. I buy a middle priced one, cause it can get VERY expesnive for salads.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Balsalmic vinegars taste different due to the amount of aging. Most grocery stores sell 5-10 year, but you can find more aged varieties in other food stores. Generally, the more aged it is, the less bitter and more complex the flavor. It's just like wine.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar is, at it's best, just grape musts that have been aged in barrels between 12-30 years. Most that you buy in the store are grape musts added to wine vinegars and sometimes have sweeteners and thickeners. All of those taste more or less the same and definitely aren't bad, suitable for daily use.

The only grocery store vinegar that is just musts but hasn't been aged I've found is Modenaceti brand Aceto Baldamico di Modena.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Try both. See what you like. It's kinda like beer preference.
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try a variety of different brands and see what you think! Settle on the one you like the best.

I also believe it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, white balsamic is different than its darker counterpart.

Good luck finding one you love!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    A good trick is to take the cheap Balsamic and reduce it in a pan until it gets a thicker consistency and let it cool before using.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A good trick is to take the cheap Balsamic and reduce it in a pan until it gets a thicker consistency and let it cool before using.

I do this ALWAYS! Om nom nom!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have some raspberry balsamic vinegar and it is awesome!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Depends on the range of vinegars you're looking at. If you're getting into true and/or aged balsamics, they're going to taste very different than what you traditionally find in the grocery store. And they also start getting much thicker, starting out almost at what a traditional balsamic would be reduced to in a pan.

Balsamics from places in Italy like Modena or Reggio Emilia will carry a seal that can only be approved by governing parties in Italy that it's an official, traditional aged balsamic. And they can be aged 100 years or more and cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. The most expensive one we sold in the store I worked at was $300 for approximately 6oz.

But there are younger balsamics, around 10 years or so, that can also carry the seal and will be much more reasonably priced, more in the $15-$25 range for around 8oz.

If you ever want to really taste a variety of balsamics, head to your nearest specialty foods store. They will often have samples available if you ask. The store I worked at actually did a balsamic tasting class once, where we even sampled out the $300 bottle.

Mind you, I hate balsamic vinegar, so it's all lost on me. But I did put together all of the teaching materials, chose all of the oils, and taught the olive oil tasting class. But that's whole other thread. lol
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not in my opinion. We have some that ranges in the $20 bottle range. It's fine for what I use it.

We also have $300+ bottles around (given to my DH). You can definitely tell the difference.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Me, too, especially when I want to drizzle it over a good parmesan.

For cooking, a medium grocery store balsamic is fine. The difference between a $6 balsamic and a $10 balsamic is minimal. A $100 balsamic is a different story and not something you would cook with. So called "balsamic glazes" as sold in the grocery are simply boiled down balsamic unless they have other stuff added to them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Me too; it's what I was going to suggest. But, then I want to eat it all...
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I go to the specialty store and get the 25 year aged stuff for around $20-$25/8oz. TOTALLY worth it. You don't need a ton, and it's perfect for the most delicious salad dressings/bread dips. I've never had more expensive stuff than that, but I imagine it would be great. I especially love some of the flavored stuff - black cherry, fig, etc. If I was going to cook with it, I'd use the much cheaper thinner stuff from the grocery store.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bump
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    To me, no they don't. Now whether you can taste the difference or care to pay the differences in prices for the different balsamic vinegars on the market is a different issue.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    no way! you'll never go back after having a really good quality balsamic vinegar. there's a store around here that specializes in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and you can taste test them. my stomach hurt after trying so many, but i couldn't help it! they are all so good!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    We have a local specialty shop in our downtown area that sells nothing but balsamic vinegars and olive oils. My last balsamic was fig and right now I am enjoying a blueberry. Fruit balsamic vinegars are amazing!
  • emmacriswell
    Options
    I want to buy some but I don't know if it's the type of thing you can just buy the cheap grocery brand, or it needs to be a really good kind.

They so do not all taste the same! The grocery store brands typically do because most aren't really "aged" they just say they are. I've had real 30 year aged balsamic in Tuscany and I can tell you, it's like nothing you'll find in Whole Foods! I also enjoy specialty balsamics like fig, dark chocolate and orange peel. That being said, if you're just garnishing a salad, use your own taste judgement. It's all in your palate.